History Channel "The Bible"

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cewakiyelo
Scholar

History Channel "The Bible"

Post #1

Post by Cewakiyelo »

This thread is intended to discuss reactions to the History Channel's presentation of "The Bible". Critique the various presentations of the stories. Did you like it or dislike it? Did you feel it to be a good or fair representation of the Scriptures as you have come to know them? Do you feel it lacked information of pertinence? What would you have done differently if you were presenting the stories? Etc...

Personally, I like the fact that the stories are being presented but find so much lacking from the stories that it doesn't lead to much understanding of story. As an example: The story of Exodus we see Moses depart Egypt and escape Pharaoh then they go on to destroy their enemies. (Other than Egyptians). There is no explanation of how or why these other peoples had become their enemies. It fails to show how during the 40 year march through the wilderness those peoples were approached by the Hebrew nation seeking assistance and rejected them. Instead of helping those in need they saw fit cast them out without assistance to starve and die in the wilderness. These events are in great part why God instructed the Hebrews to have no mercy for those people when it later came time for the Hebrews to conquer those peoples. Instead the story jumps to the God and the Hebrew people waging war for no apparent reason.

There are other discrepancies that I will comment on later. I would like to here both the good and the bad from others who have been watching the show.

Man_With_A_Plan
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Man_With_A_Plan »

The only thing historical about the History Channel is its name. (Did you know that the Federal Reserve is a privately owned organization? There's nothing "federal" about it.)

In my opinion, a television network's first priority is ratings. If something is controversial, and if they believe it'll get ratings, they'll air it and to hell with accuracy or objectivity! :lol:

That's why PBS has skeptics from the Jesus Seminar talk about the "mythology" of Jesus during Christmas and Easter. PBS knows that this will generate views. When the History Channel talks about "ancient aliens" like it's "obvious," the only choice is to change the channel.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: History Channel "The Bible"

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Cewakiyelo]

I haven't seen it personally but the reviews I've heard are pretty good.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

I watched that TV series and I was horrified at how grotesquely violent it was. Every second scene had someone being brutally murdered. It has throats being slit and all sorts of horrors. It should have had an R18 rating on it. If that's the bible, then the bible should also have an R18 rating on it.

The other thing i noticed was that it merged some characters in the bible tales as one. I can understand that, because they probably wanted to lessen the number of actors and also have to do less characterization.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

[Replying to post 4 by OnceConvinced]

Hope you switched off, there is no need to expose yourself to fiction that you find upsetting.

That's why I never Watch vampire movies.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

I did not like what I saw of it. There were too many liberties taken in the retelling, and that is the same reason I do not watch any of the fictional accounts or movies that are supposed to be based on bible stories.

Peace.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

[Replying to post 6 by tam]

I agree, I often find bible re-enactments irritating for that reason but the short extracts I've seen from this series seemed fairly accurate and entertaining. Still as I always say, "best to read the book before seeing the movie"