Zeitgeist: The Movie

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tony T.
Student
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm
Location: Michigan

Zeitgeist: The Movie

Post #1

Post by Tony T. »

Alright so i already know that it is probably an old topic but i just finished watching it completely thru all three parts. Part one about christianity, the second about the WTC and the third about the banking/financial system.
I would like to know others take on whatever parts most stuck out to you. That is if you have watched this movie.

For me it was the first part about religions. I by no means have looked over every bit of information they give. One thing i did do a little digging into was the jesus/horus comparison. I found it to be very deceitful, at best, to attempt to compare the two. For example, the birthday. Nowhere in the bible does it claim that jesus was born on the 25th of december. The virgin birth. Horus was supposedly conceived when his mother assembled all the pieces of his father and he was brought back to life, they had sex, she got pregnant, and if i remember correctly he dies again. An assembled zombie is a bit different then a holy spirit coming to mary, so no real comparison there. Baptism at age 30. there isn't even an account of any type of baptism of horus. Turns out that many of the majority of the claims there isn't no such account for horus in the actual egyptian writings.

The second part about the WTC I would have to do a lot of research into. I have heard of reports in the past that has shown parts of what this movie is trying to say to be false. Because of the deceitfulness of the first part of this movie i am only lead to believe that part 2 is the same.

I did find something very comical in the last part. Let me explain. In the first part they take all the time to try and say that the bible is nothing but a fable written to control the masses. They basically say that the bible is copied from other sources and that "jesus probably in fact never existed", but then in the third part there is a part that is talking about a chip that "they" ( the bazillionaires)want to have everyone have. Well the really funny part is that this guy is talking about how he is talking to one of these bazillionaires and he basically quotes Revelation 13:16-17 when he says what they want the purpose of the chip to be.

So they take the whole first part of the movie to say that the bible is nothing but a fable and wind up saying that the worlds richest is going to try and use a chip to control what people buy and sell and if they don't tow the system line they will just "turn um off" Did the editor not see the irony?

But anyway, those was a couple of my thoughts on the movie, what was yours?

User avatar
Goat
Site Supporter
Posts: 24878
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Zeitgeist: The Movie

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Tony T. wrote: Alright so i already know that it is probably an old topic but i just finished watching it completely thru all three parts. Part one about christianity, the second about the WTC and the third about the banking/financial system.
I would like to know others take on whatever parts most stuck out to you. That is if you have watched this movie.

For me it was the first part about religions. I by no means have looked over every bit of information they give. One thing i did do a little digging into was the jesus/horus comparison. I found it to be very deceitful, at best, to attempt to compare the two. For example, the birthday. Nowhere in the bible does it claim that jesus was born on the 25th of december. The virgin birth. Horus was supposedly conceived when his mother assembled all the pieces of his father and he was brought back to life, they had sex, she got pregnant, and if i remember correctly he dies again. An assembled zombie is a bit different then a holy spirit coming to mary, so no real comparison there. Baptism at age 30. there isn't even an account of any type of baptism of horus. Turns out that many of the majority of the claims there isn't no such account for horus in the actual egyptian writings.

The second part about the WTC I would have to do a lot of research into. I have heard of reports in the past that has shown parts of what this movie is trying to say to be false. Because of the deceitfulness of the first part of this movie i am only lead to believe that part 2 is the same.

I did find something very comical in the last part. Let me explain. In the first part they take all the time to try and say that the bible is nothing but a fable written to control the masses. They basically say that the bible is copied from other sources and that "jesus probably in fact never existed", but then in the third part there is a part that is talking about a chip that "they" ( the bazillionaires)want to have everyone have. Well the really funny part is that this guy is talking about how he is talking to one of these bazillionaires and he basically quotes Revelation 13:16-17 when he says what they want the purpose of the chip to be.

So they take the whole first part of the movie to say that the bible is nothing but a fable and wind up saying that the worlds richest is going to try and use a chip to control what people buy and sell and if they don't tow the system line they will just "turn um off" Did the editor not see the irony?

But anyway, those was a couple of my thoughts on the movie, what was yours?
Well..there are about a half a dozen different stories in the Egyptian religion about Horus.. and you mentioned one fof them.. (I mean about his birth). However, most of that information comes from a late 19th century book by Masey. The various different horus' are treated as different deities by Egyptologists .

However, I don't believe any of them match Massey's description of a virgin birth.

However, Dionisis was born of the 'Holy VIrgin' (the harlot priestess of Ishtar and Asherera'. Of course, in that time frame, 'holy virgin' only meant unmarried.
.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

arian
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am
Location: AZ

Re: Zeitgeist: The Movie

Post #3

Post by arian »

Tony T. wrote: Alright so i already know that it is probably an old topic but i just finished watching it completely thru all three parts. Part one about christianity, the second about the WTC and the third about the banking/financial system.
I would like to know others take on whatever parts most stuck out to you. That is if you have watched this movie.

For me it was the first part about religions. I by no means have looked over every bit of information they give. One thing i did do a little digging into was the jesus/horus comparison. I found it to be very deceitful, at best, to attempt to compare the two. For example, the birthday. Nowhere in the bible does it claim that jesus was born on the 25th of december. The virgin birth. Horus was supposedly conceived when his mother assembled all the pieces of his father and he was brought back to life, they had sex, she got pregnant, and if i remember correctly he dies again. An assembled zombie is a bit different then a holy spirit coming to mary, so no real comparison there. Baptism at age 30. there isn't even an account of any type of baptism of horus. Turns out that many of the majority of the claims there isn't no such account for horus in the actual egyptian writings.

The second part about the WTC I would have to do a lot of research into. I have heard of reports in the past that has shown parts of what this movie is trying to say to be false. Because of the deceitfulness of the first part of this movie i am only lead to believe that part 2 is the same.

I did find something very comical in the last part. Let me explain. In the first part they take all the time to try and say that the bible is nothing but a fable written to control the masses. They basically say that the bible is copied from other sources and that "jesus probably in fact never existed", but then in the third part there is a part that is talking about a chip that "they" ( the bazillionaires)want to have everyone have. Well the really funny part is that this guy is talking about how he is talking to one of these bazillionaires and he basically quotes Revelation 13:16-17 when he says what they want the purpose of the chip to be.

So they take the whole first part of the movie to say that the bible is nothing but a fable and wind up saying that the worlds richest is going to try and use a chip to control what people buy and sell and if they don't tow the system line they will just "turn um off" Did the editor not see the irony?

But anyway, those was a couple of my thoughts on the movie, what was yours?
Wow, I'm sorry I missed this post, I hope you are still around Tony T! Welcome to the Forum.

Yes Zeitgeist is about religion, actually religions with all their gods. Since Christianity with all them 38,000 denominations is an easy target which these people use to ridicule the Bible and its content. The few Biblical quotes only support their agenda, which is to discourage the youth from reading it, .. you know, because it's the same as all the other religions in the world starting with the dawn of man where Ugg crawled out of his cave and even at thirty acted happy that the sun came up. But soon that sun set and Ugg and his family returned to the fear of darkness in their caves thinking of ways to keep the sun up all day. So eventually they created a sun-god (you can see it everywhere today, thanks partly for this ignorant movie) to overcome their fear of the night.

Hey, I mean who needs sleep right? I mean they make it sound as if all they did day and night in those days was to figure out a way to get rid of, or overcome the darkness. As if each night was a dread, and each sunrise was like being sucked back out of the darkness of hell. LOL

This movie is like the 'OK, ..All Clear' sign to a thief from his partner to rob the house they've been staking out for a long time. For those who like it, it is like morphine for their burning and troubled soul

It also helps the Angels of the Lord to identify and finally separate the wheat from the chaff.

Good post my friend.

czyz
Scholar
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 pm
Location: Papillion, NE

Post #4

Post by czyz »

If one reads their history they will find the savior-god motif is replete in stories of Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Buddah, and several others that predate Christianity. Not all of them have the same motifs as Jesus, but many elements are there such as virgin births, performing miracles, resurrection, and atonement of man through death. One must ask the question, why are all these stories myth but the Jesus story is true?

Think for a minute...a virgin birth??? Really? Secondly, the reason for Jesus to come to earth was vicarious redemption for the sins of Adam. Most rational people know that Adam and Eve is an allegory, so if true, why Jesus? (By the way, the concept of sins being passed down to generations was the brain child of Ireneaus, who was a second century bishop. Many now believe this rubbish because of some crackpot early church father). Thirdly, is the idea of torturing a person to death to appease God strike anyone as cruel and bizarre? If God is God, why not just forgive? Fourth, funny how all these miracles and natural suspensions from the natural world suddenly cease after Jesus splits the scene. And lastly, the bible was written by Iron Age men who were superstitious, fearful, ignorant who lived harsh lives and died around the age of 40. How much of Iron Age science, medicine, and cosmology do we embrace today?

Religion is definitely man made and it shows. I have a hard time reconciling the God depicted in the Bible and the God who created quantum mechanics and universe. One of them is a charlatan.
My mind is my own church--Thomas Paine

Science adjusts its view based on what is observed but faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

arian
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am
Location: AZ

Post #5

Post by arian »

czyz wrote: If one reads their history they will find the savior-god motif is replete in stories of Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Buddah, and several others that predate Christianity. Not all of them have the same motifs as Jesus, but many elements are there such as virgin births, performing miracles, resurrection, and atonement of man through death. One must ask the question, why are all these stories myth but the Jesus story is true?
Hello czyz, I would like to answer that if that's ok,

Maybe it is as you say that "the savior-god motif is replete in stories of Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Buddah, and several others that predate Christianity" and if you studied the history of the Bible, you would see why?

There is God our Creator, and through the fall of man came all kinds of religions with all their gods. Satan was there messing with Eve already way back in the Garden, right?

Have you ever asked why?

To deceive her, in which he succeeded, right?

Once man fell from his eternal state and unity with God, and as man filled the earth, Lucifer and his angels mingled with the daughters of men, not just physically but mentally and spiritually also. These rebellious spirit-beings in those days have created many concepts of god in mans heart and mind, and having some knowledge of Gods Plan which He had with His Son Word before the creation of the world, they replicated the coming virgin birth in other concepts of gods they created, like savior, the son/sun rising, Mother of gods, and they are all here today, kept alive by religious myths and fairytales.

Just compare any of those myths with Gods PLAN as is described in the Bible and you will see the huge difference. Satan knew 'about the plan' but not exactly how it will all come to its fruition. If he had, he would not have crucified the Lord Jesus.
Think for a minute...a virgin birth??? Really?
Why, what's so unbelievable about that? Haven't you heard of IVF? Even we can do that now, all we need to do is take the egg out of a virgin, artificially inseminate it, put it back in her uterus and Bingo, .. 9-months later a virgin gives birth.
Secondly, the reason for Jesus to come to earth was vicarious redemption for the sins of Adam. Most rational people know that Adam and Eve is an allegory, so if true, why Jesus?
If Adam and Eve is an allegory, and Christ death was just a vicarious/imagined redemption, .. why do you even ask?

The Bible, especially the New Testament explains all this clearly in different perspectives. But if Zeitgeist the Movie even remotely stumbled you, or made you believe that the Bible is just a myth, some tribal religious stories and that's all, then you haven't really looked into the Bible.

I liken Zeitgeist the Movie against the stories of the Bible to a Two-year old child throwing a temper-tantrum against his mommies wishes.
czyz wrote:(By the way, the concept of sins being passed down to generations was the brain child of Ireneaus, who was a second century bishop. Many now believe this rubbish because of some crackpot early church father).
Maybe this will help:

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.

czyz wrote:Thirdly, is the idea of torturing a person to death to appease God strike anyone as cruel and bizarre? If God is God, why not just forgive?
If you had cancer growing in you, wouldn't you want to isolate it and put it somewhere where it could no longer harm the healthy cells in your body?

Since all things are IN God, He has created an isolation chamber called the bottomless-pit, or hell where He will soon place all that cause desecration of the body which is the temple of God, those that cause abomination and desolation on this earth there. Why would that be cruel? It says;

Revelation 20:10 (NKJV)
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.


They will be tormented, it doesn't say God will torment them!
Why will they be tormented forever?

Well according to what I have witnessed in my lifetime, Satan and those who follow him are relentless in doing evil. They could torture men, women and children forever if they had the chance, not just till the person dies of pain, or suffocation, or because of the loss of blood, but over and over again forever and ever.
The thief will steal forever, the rapist would rape women and children forever unless God put a stop to them.
This is why God put a limit on the length of time we spend here, because it is obvious that if the wicked were given eternal life, they would NEVER stop, .. never no matter how much their victims begged and cried out in pain and horror.

I know this first hand and I continue to suffer...

Now imagine all that pleasure that the wicked have right now in doing evil, and all of a sudden their poor victims will be taken away from them, and then them being put into that pit along with all the other wicked? Now I don't know about you, but that to me sounds like horror.
I mean who will they torment now? God will no longer allow them victims. Void of the beauty of nature, no money to steal, no blue sky nor the beauty of the oceans to enjoy, no green plants or any living creature except for worms.
Worms live on dying flesh until the flesh is consumed. But since the wicked will receive their eternal bodies like we will, and as long as there is flesh to consume, there will be worms to consume them. "And their worm dieth not, and they will have no rest day or night"
Fourth, funny how all these miracles and natural suspensions from the natural world suddenly cease after Jesus splits the scene.
Cease? I may suffer, but am not dead yet, and those are Gods miracles that I'm still alive. But I can still fight against all the principalities and powers of the wicked-one.
czyz wrote:And lastly, the bible was written by Iron Age men who were superstitious, fearful, ignorant who lived harsh lives and died around the age of 40. How much of Iron Age science, medicine, and cosmology do we embrace today?
You may not see it, but if you would take a good look at the world today, by number comparison there has never been more suffering because of a harsh life, starvation, homelessness, rape, child labor, slave trade of children and young women.
Pain because of either withholding medications from the poor or uninsured, or overmedicating those that are covered. I am suffering, and have suffered because of both.
czyz wrote:Religion is definitely man made and it shows. I have a hard time reconciling the God depicted in the Bible and the God who created quantum mechanics and universe. One of them is a charlatan.
No, you are wrong. The God depicted in the Bible is the one encouraged me to learn a little about quantum mechanics, so I may see/understand Him a little more a little clearer.
What you're talking about is what 'man' through his religious ideas depicted of God by perverting the Bible, and those depictions of their gods are charlatans, every one of them.

Take care czyz.

czyz
Scholar
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 pm
Location: Papillion, NE

Post #6

Post by czyz »

Quoting bible passages is white noise to me. It doesn't register.

Arian, you are using he bible to prove the bible (or characters contained within) are true. That's called circular logic. Look for evidence outside the bible to support your statements.

A couple responses, you mentioned Adam and Eve and the talking snake, so if you research the historical record, the Adam and Eve allegory is found in other ancient cultures that predates the Hebrews.

Secondly, you are really stretching it talking about IVF and the virgin birth in the ancient world. They did not possess that technology so my statement stands. The virgin birth is again found in ancient mythological beliefs which predates Christianity.

You did not answer the torturing a person to death and using vicarious redemption instead of god, being god, just forgiving. Your response is incomprehensible drivel which goes off on a tangent.

Lastly, the whole devil response is bizarre in response to me opining that miracles and super natural intervention ceases upon Jesus leaving. You again went off on a rant instead of formulating an intelligent response.
My mind is my own church--Thomas Paine

Science adjusts its view based on what is observed but faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

arian
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am
Location: AZ

Post #7

Post by arian »

czyz wrote:
Quoting bible passages is white noise to me. It doesn't register.
Then you should learn to read first.
czyz wrote:Arian, you are using he bible to prove the bible (or characters contained within) are true. That's called circular logic. Look for evidence outside the bible to support your statements.
I have attended, studied, analyzed the lives of people in many, many various religions, including the New Age ideologies and philosophies, and I have found no evidence worth mentioning outside the Bible. I have seen demons that attacked me, and Angels that helped me on many occasions in my 57 years on this earth, quoting the Bible is just another evidence to support my claims.

You want more proof? PM me and I will gladly give you my address, let's meet and I will show you more. There is a huge difference in eye-to-eye conversation over anonymous debate Mr. czyz.
czyz wrote:A couple responses, you mentioned Adam and Eve and the talking snake, so if you research the historical record, the Adam and Eve allegory is found in other ancient cultures that predates the Hebrews.
And? ... that's just more proof for me. Besides, do you know of a culture that didn't come from Adam and Eve?
Secondly, you are really stretching it talking about IVF and the virgin birth in the ancient world. They did not possess that technology so my statement stands. The virgin birth is again found in ancient mythological beliefs which predates Christianity.
You are not debating but giving a general opinion of what I said. Please read it again, quote my statements and respond to them. I said a virgin birth is possible today, which should be easy to believe that our Creator done it.
You did not answer the torturing a person to death and using vicarious redemption instead of god, being god, just forgiving. Your response is incomprehensible drivel which goes off on a tangent.
There is a penalty in rebellion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. We have to pay for our wicked deeds, and Jesus bailed us out of it. You know, .. like insurance today, it's there when we need it the most, and so was Jesus.
czyz wrote:Lastly, the whole devil response is bizarre in response to me opining that miracles and super natural intervention ceases upon Jesus leaving. You again went off on a rant instead of formulating an intelligent response.
If you mean Spiritual intervention, it didn't cease, only increased. Man just became too hardened by sin to admit to them. As for supernatural intervention, I doubt there has been more diviners divining now then ever since Adam and Eve. Satan is on a prowl for he knows his time is short.

You want intelligent response without Bible quotes or mentioning our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Stick to debating with DI and other atheistic intellectuals on this forum.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Thank you my friend.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root.

Henry D. Thoreau

User avatar
10CC
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am
Location: Godzone

Post #8

Post by 10CC »

arian wrote:

And? ... that's just more proof for me. Besides, do you know of a culture that didn't come from Adam and Eve?
The entire human race, will that do?
arian wrote:
There is a penalty in rebellion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. We have to pay for our wicked deeds, and Jesus bailed us out of it. You know, .. like insurance today, it's there when we need it the most, and so was Jesus.
Who was paying this penalty, after all it was this omnipotent god sacrificing himself to himself.

Maybe you can tell me what penalty was involved here for the alleged rebellious?

Unless god was admitting that the allegorical screw up he got Fred Goatskin to write was actually his fault?

Is that it?
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said

-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.

arian
Banned
Banned
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 am
Location: AZ

Post #9

Post by arian »

10CC wrote:
arian wrote:
And? ... that's just more proof for me. Besides, do you know of a culture that didn't come from Adam and Eve?
The entire human race, will that do?
No. I need a little more background information, resources, scientific observations that can show animals evolving into man and so on and so forth. Mythical stories of single-celled man popping out of some muddy primordial soup that evolved out of nowhere is not science. Try something else, something more rational, less mythical.
Try watching something besides Zeitgeist and its stories derived from kids cave paintings, maybe then you would make more sense.
10CC wrote:
arian wrote: There is a penalty in rebellion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. We have to pay for our wicked deeds, and Jesus bailed us out of it. You know, .. like insurance today, it's there when we need it the most, and so was Jesus.
Who was paying this penalty, after all it was this omnipotent god sacrificing himself to himself.
See, there you go reciting children cave paintings again. Can you show me from Zeitgeist where a god sacrifices himself to himself? I haven't seen that one yet?

Thanks.
10CC wrote:Maybe you can tell me what penalty was involved here for the alleged rebellious?

Unless god was admitting that the allegorical screw up he got Fred Goatskin to write was actually his fault?

Is that it?
This Post is about Zeitgeist the movie which portrays and refers to many, many gods, so which gods are you referring to, .. Fred goatskin? I honestly don't know that one?

Thanks again friend.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root.

Henry D. Thoreau

User avatar
10CC
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am
Location: Godzone

Post #10

Post by 10CC »

arian wrote:
10CC wrote:
arian wrote:
And? ... that's just more proof for me. Besides, do you know of a culture that didn't come from Adam and Eve?
The entire human race, will that do?
No. I need a little more background information, resources, scientific observations that can show animals evolving into man and so on and so forth. Mythical stories of single-celled man popping out of some muddy primordial soup that evolved out of nowhere is not science. Try something else, something more rational, less mythical.
Try watching something besides Zeitgeist and its stories derived from kids cave paintings, maybe then you would make more sense.
10CC wrote:
arian wrote: There is a penalty in rebellion, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. We have to pay for our wicked deeds, and Jesus bailed us out of it. You know, .. like insurance today, it's there when we need it the most, and so was Jesus.
Who was paying this penalty, after all it was this omnipotent god sacrificing himself to himself.
See, there you go reciting children cave paintings again. Can you show me from Zeitgeist where a god sacrifices himself to himself? I haven't seen that one yet?

Thanks.
10CC wrote:Maybe you can tell me what penalty was involved here for the alleged rebellious?

Unless god was admitting that the allegorical screw up he got Fred Goatskin to write was actually his fault?

Is that it?
This Post is about Zeitgeist the movie which portrays and refers to many, many gods, so which gods are you referring to, .. Fred goatskin? I honestly don't know that one?

Thanks again friend.
I do hope you check under your bed every night for the boogyman, cos he's there you know? Your skydaddy says so in chapter thingo.

Oh BTW did you notice that you weren't discussing the movie when I replied?

That's right you were discussing the same sky daddy I ridiculed. Oh well.

BTW your defense of that skydaddy may not get you a passage to automatonic heaven as you so desperately hope.
I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said

-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.

Post Reply