Book of Mormon

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Book of Mormon

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Recently saw the Book of Mormon in London (expensive tickets....ouch!). It received a very warm standing ovation and I really enjoyed it. (Maybe not £160 enjoyed it but enjoy it I did).

But is the Book of Mormon picking on easy targets? Is there a more restrained and politely civil religion than Mormonism. But not all are so nice to their detractors.

Is the New Testament too hot to mock? I don't think the Life of Brian mocked the NT, or if it did, not in the full on way the BoT gets its teeth into the BoT. If the Book of Mormon had been the Book of the NT would it have even been allowed to open? Would there be a backlash if it had?

Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

Or for the time being are we - of an irreverent nature - going to restrict our mockery to the oh so polite religions and turn a little pale in the face of the more forceful religions.

Wordleymaster1
Apprentice

Re: Book of Mormon

Post #11

Post by Wordleymaster1 »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Recently saw the Book of Mormon in London (expensive tickets....ouch!). It received a very warm standing ovation and I really enjoyed it. (Maybe not £160 enjoyed it but enjoy it I did).

But is the Book of Mormon picking on easy targets? Is there a more restrained and politely civil religion than Mormonism. But not all are so nice to their detractors.

Is the New Testament too hot to mock? I don't think the Life of Brian mocked the NT, or if it did, not in the full on way the BoT gets its teeth into the BoT. If the Book of Mormon had been the Book of the NT would it have even been allowed to open? Would there be a backlash if it had?

Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

Or for the time being are we - of an irreverent nature - going to restrict our mockery to the oh so polite religions and turn a little pale in the face of the more forceful religions.
For sure Mormons are seriously easy targets, but Trey & Matt haven't really shyed away from much. I would suspect if there was a way to make fun of the New Testament or Koran that's as funny as the BOM, they would make it.
But I doubt other that Scientology, there's little main stream religons that can be seen as :roll: :lol: as Mormonism.I know - I dated one once. #-o Interesting to say the least in their ideas and actions.

Falling Light 101
Apprentice

Contradictions ?

Post #12

Post by Falling Light 101 »

[font=Arial]..
I have, for a long time heard and read that the Book Of Mormon has many, many contradictions with itself and with the Mormon Religion itself.
I was studying one particular contradiction about Plural Marriage. ./ Polygamy
It is Condemned in the Book of Mormon
Such as - Book of Mormon. Jacob 1:15

15 And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

And Jacob 2:24

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

And Jacob 3:5

5 Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father—that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them.

And Mosiah 11:2

2 For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but he did walk after the desires of his own heart. And he had many wives and concubines. And he did cause his people to commit sin, and do that which was abominable in the sight of the Lord. Yea, and they did commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness.

But in the Doctrine and Covenants of The Mormon religion
Section 132:1

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servant Joseph, that inasmuch as you have inquired of my hand to know and understand wherein I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines—

And Section 132:37-39

37 Abraham received concubines, and they bore him children; and it was accounted unto him for righteousness, because they were given unto him, and he abode in my law; as Isaac also and Jacob did none other things than that which they were commanded; and because they did none other things than that which they were commanded, they have entered into their exaltation, according to the promises, and sit upon thrones, and are not angels but are gods.

38 David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me.

39 David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

Section 132:61

61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.

I wonder why people still continue to follow the Mormon Religion with Contradictions in the System. ?

I believe the Book Of Mormon is a false message.
.[/font]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard.

Christians have been willing to die for their faith, believing the spreading of their message more important than their own personal safety. Should one not be willing to pay a similar price before having the right to mock religion without being charged with hypocracy and/or cowardice?

Don't artists believe the benefits from bringing about social change are worth the writers, producers, directors actors and all the stage hands living in hiding for the rest of their lives? Why should artistic expression be limited by the mere question of personal security?

I think if Broadway can do a satire including the song "Springtime for Hitler" or have a show presenting Jesus' mother as a rape victim, it can certainly put on a show "The many wives of Mohamed" with a dancing Mohammed and a lightly clad Aisha dancing the boogy-woogy. At least that would make them equal rights blasphemists.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #14

Post by JP Cusick »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

I myself am impressed and proud of the warriors for the religion of Islam who have successfully shut up the Western blasphemies, and that message of retribution and justice is so explicit that even the most extremely ignorant of infidels can comprehend it without difficulty.

The mockery (as called above) only ever goes after the meek and the vulnerable.

What I see the warriors for the religion of Islam doing is fulfilling the ideal of the US 2nd Amendment, as when government fails to protect or serve the people then the people have the right to defend and protect their self with any means available.

Also Proverbs 26:3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back.

This is one of those reasons why the great religion of Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, and the fastest in the USA too, because Islam has people who take action and who fight for righteousness.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Furrowed Brow »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Christians have been willing to die for their faith, believing the spreading of their message more important than their own personal safety. Should one not be willing to pay a similar price before having the right to mock religion without being charged with hypocracy and/or cowardice?
Good question. How brave am I? Not very. Would I crack a Mohammed joke these days - I'd think very carefully before I did.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Don't artists believe the benefits from bringing about social change are worth the writers, producers, directors actors and all the stage hands living in hiding for the rest of their lives? Why should artistic expression be limited by the mere question of personal security?
Well you are probably right and I suspect deep down it is fear.
JehovahsWitness wrote:I think if Broadway can do a satire including the song "Springtime for Hitler" or have a show presenting Jesus' mother as a rape victim, it can certainly put on a show "The many wives of Mohamed" with a dancing Mohammed and a lightly clad Aisha dancing the boogy-woogy. At least that would make them equal rights blasphemists.
I'd like to see that show when it gets made. But sadly I think your questions set a trail that led to the conclusion the liberal arts do not want be seen to be antagonistic towards Islam where no such barrier exists towards Christianity.

I can think of one comedian who is perhaps more fearless than others. British comedian and writer Chris Morris is usually controversial and has a record of getting himself banned. He made the movie The Four Lions about a cell of hapless Islamic suicide bombers. It was only occasional funny but still braver than most.

help3434
Guru

Post #16

Post by help3434 »

JP Cusick wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote: Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

I myself am impressed and proud of the warriors for the religion of Islam who have successfully shut up the Western blasphemies, and that message of retribution and justice is so explicit that even the most extremely ignorant of infidels can comprehend it without difficulty.

The mockery (as called above) only ever goes after the meek and the vulnerable.

What I see the warriors for the religion of Islam doing is fulfilling the ideal of the US 2nd Amendment, as when government fails to protect or serve the people then the people have the right to defend and protect their self with any means available.

Also Proverbs 26:3 A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back.

This is one of those reasons why the great religion of Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, and the fastest in the USA too, because Islam has people who take action and who fight for righteousness.
Yeah, of course you would take the side of violent theocrats. You know if these "righteous" people ruled the world you would have to pay a fee if you wanted to continue to live as a Christian rather than a Muslim, right?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Furrowed Brow wrote:
I can think of one comedian who is perhaps more fearless than others. British comedian and writer Chris Morris is usually controversial and has a record of getting himself banned. He made the movie The Four Lions about a cell of hapless Islamic suicide bombers. It was only occasional funny but still braver than most.
So when does the broadway show depicting a dancing Mohamed come out?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #18

Post by JP Cusick »

help3434 wrote: Yeah, of course you would take the side of violent theocrats. You know if these "righteous" people ruled the world you would have to pay a fee if you wanted to continue to live as a Christian rather than a Muslim, right?
We have to pay a fee to live here as Americans in the USA.

It is called taxes.

And the religion tax goes back centuries being required by both Christians and Muslims to pay.

If you see the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" it shows the Muslims paying the Christians in order to say their Islamic prayers.

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) LINK:
English Sergeant: [walking along the waterfront at Messina] When we took the Holy Land, we took the Saracen trading ports. The Italian ships carry silks and spices... and pilgrims, if they have money. And Italy becomes rich, as the Savior intended.
Balian of Ibelin: [Balian sees a group of men praying on the beach] Who are those men?
English Sergeant: Muslims. Saracens.
Balian of Ibelin: And they are allowed their prayers?
English Sergeant: If they pay the tax. "Subhana Rabbi'l Adhim."
[he turns to Balian]
English Sergeant: "Praise be to God. It is proper to praise him."
Balian of Ibelin: Sounds like our prayers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

JehovahsWitness wrote: So when does the broadway show depicting a dancing Mohamed come out?
That is a really ugly thing for you to say.

Yes it is a question to another person - but you are the one who posted your own ugly words.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Furrowed Brow »

JehovahsWitness wrote: So when does the broadway show depicting a dancing Mohamed come out?
I think we'll have to wait a long time. One problems is that even if there was a Monty Python styled Life of Achmed about Achmed an unfortunate fellow whose mishaps bore a passing resemblance to the life of Mohamed - the makers of such a show would risk much.

I just watched an half hour Q&A given by Chris Morris. He spent three years researching the movie Four Lions and was very careful to lampoon the Islamic terrorists but not Mohamed. If a comedian like Chris Morris who otherwise appears to have no boundaries tiptoes around the subject then we are a long way away from Islam being the an open target for comedians. They may nibble around the edges like Morris but that's about it. But then Monty Python always insisted they were not lampooning Jesus. Their claimed target was religion and religious people - that and Latin grammar :-).

On the other hand it is probably more fitting that comedians from an Islamic background take on the subject. In the same way comedians in the 70s in the UK made jokes about black and Irish people - picking on an outlier group was just nasty really.

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #20

Post by imhereforyou »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Recently saw the Book of Mormon in London (expensive tickets....ouch!). It received a very warm standing ovation and I really enjoyed it. (Maybe not £160 enjoyed it but enjoy it I did).

Weirdness is great to poke fun at: Mormonism, Scientology, other low hanging fruit. But it also depends on the society involved.
For me, it's a lot more fun to poke these two beliefs than Islam, for example, because many of these believers aren't the fringe believers. In other words, poking fun at those fringers aren't as fun as poking Mormons and Scientologists because they aren't as physically violent and in the spotlight like Islam fringers.
At least as far as I can tell.
But SP does poke fun at everyone; men, women, gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Islam....
Some things are just more fun to poke.