The First Atheist TV Channel

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

The First Atheist TV Channel

Post #1

Post by SailingCyclops »

More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.
American Atheists wrote: American Atheists is excited to announce what is believed to be the first atheism-dedicated television channel, Atheist TV.

In partnership with internet-streaming service Roku, which offers devices similar to cable boxes to bring hundreds of channels of content to your TV, American Atheists will bring together dozens of atheist content creators, including The Richard Dawkins Foundation, to present the first on-demand television station that presents exclusively atheist, humanist, and freethought programming.
So, what do you folks think about this development? Is it a good thing for Americans to be exposed to atheist, humanist, and free thought TV programming? Or, is it a threat to those who have strong supernatural beliefs, and who seek to propagate those beliefs?

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

AllAboutLove
Student

Re: The First Atheist TV Channel

Post #2

Post by AllAboutLove »

SailingCyclops wrote: More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.
American Atheists wrote: American Atheists is excited to announce what is believed to be the first atheism-dedicated television channel, Atheist TV.

In partnership with internet-streaming service Roku, which offers devices similar to cable boxes to bring hundreds of channels of content to your TV, American Atheists will bring together dozens of atheist content creators, including The Richard Dawkins Foundation, to present the first on-demand television station that presents exclusively atheist, humanist, and freethought programming.
So, what do you folks think about this development? Is it a good thing for Americans to be exposed to atheist, humanist, and free thought TV programming? Or, is it a threat to those who have strong supernatural beliefs, and who seek to propagate those beliefs?
I'm glad atheists have the right to start their own channel, and if there's a demand, it will succeed. I just thought it was funny that an atheist channel is needed to offset the HEAVY CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON TV!

Don't see too much heavy Christian influence on MTV. Or MSNBC. Or the Science Channel. Or ESPN. Or Spike. Or... well, it's not a small list!

But to each their own. Anything the furthers spiritual debate in a respectful manner can't be a BAD thing. That is, if you're confident in the salience of your beliefs! :D

shnarkle
Guru

Post #3

Post by shnarkle »

AllAboutLove wrote:
SailingCyclops wrote: More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.

I'm glad atheists have the right to start their own channel, and if there's a demand, it will succeed. I just thought it was funny that an atheist channel is needed to offset the HEAVY CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON TV!

Don't see too much heavy Christian influence on MTV. Or MSNBC. Or the Science Channel. Or ESPN. Or Spike. Or... well, it's not a small list!

But to each their own. Anything the furthers spiritual debate in a respectful manner can't be a BAD thing. That is, if you're confident in the salience of your beliefs! :D

A while back I got a mailer from the local cable company, and decided to respond with some questions. I noticed that the basic package includes quite a few Christian broadcasting networks which I thought was a bit weird. Needless to say, I passed. I now have ROKU and have the atheists TV programmed in, but there really isn't much of anything worth watching. It's all extremely low budget, boring garbage which is sad because there is so much out there that ought to be broadcast. There's really no point in supporting it as there's not much to get behind except the negation of God's existence. Who really cares about that?

Icey
Student

Post #4

Post by Icey »

SailingCyclops wrote: Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.

Anything that doesn't fall in to line with popular Christian views is a direct threat.
That said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.
If you can have terrible shows like The 700 Club why not have an opposing view?
Surely Christians won't like that but they tend not to like things that don't fall in line with their POV
That said, I won't watch any of their shows due to what they have (or don't have, as it may be); it depends on if the shows are good or not. But I will not watch any Christian show/channel regardless. Hypocritical? Probably. Do I care? Nope.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Icey wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:38 pm
SailingCyclops wrote: Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm More than "entertainment", the first Atheist TV Channel will provide a counterpoint to the overwhelming preponderance of Christian propaganda aired on dozens of American TV channels.

Anything that doesn't fall in to line with popular Christian views is a direct threat.
That said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.
If you can have terrible shows like The 700 Club why not have an opposing view?
Surely Christians won't like that but they tend not to like things that don't fall in line with their POV
That said, I won't watch any of their shows due to what they have (or don't have, as it may be); it depends on if the shows are good or not. But I will not watch any Christian show/channel regardless. Hypocritical? Probably. Do I care? Nope.
FYI. SailingCyclops hasn't posted here since 2017.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Is it a good thing? I guess competition is good. Will it be 'good'? I suspect that will depend on the guests, shows, dialogue and everything else that goes in to TV programs.
I'm sure some Christian/Christians somewhere will complain and if they cry loud enough, people will listen. Happens all the time.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

AllAboutLove wrote: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 amDon't see too much heavy Christian influence on MTV. Or MSNBC. Or the Science Channel. Or ESPN. Or Spike. Or... well, it's not a small list!
I don't either. There's a small list of Christian programmes but I get the idea that they're largely donor-funded and not a lot of people actually watch them.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #8

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to SailingCyclops in post #1]

Hey, at least its a thorn in the side of complacent Americans who otherwise would hear nothing about philosophical topics related to religion.

Atheism is an error in my view, but with the coming of an error, there naturally arise forces to wage war against that error. Anything that can lead people to think deep and hard on deep and hard topics is a godsend in an age of superficiality and mindlessness. There is a chance some may be corrupted and led astray. But if they are corrupted and led astray, this means (though I'm not a Calvinist) that their faith was not nearly strong enough to begin with. Hence, they can be strengthened. Their sword of faith can be hardened under fire and pressure.

Atheists can also at least have a form of community. Freethinkers, even if led astray, need a place to belong. Then, they may be persuaded, after a while, to evolve in their views. But we need to meet people where they are at.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

AllAboutLove wrote: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 am I'm glad atheists have the right to start their own channel, and if there's a demand, it will succeed. I just thought it was funny that an atheist channel is needed to offset the HEAVY CHRISTIAN INFLUENCE ON TV!

If you're going to cherry-pick those channels that don't have a Christian format, of course not. However:

"In the US, 42 percent of non-commercial radio stations currently have a religious format where on the other hand about 80 percent of the 2,400 Christian radio stations and 100 full-power Christian TV stations throughout the entire United States are considered non-profit."
Source: Religious Broadcasting" (PDF). FCC: 2. November 2017 – via FCC.gov

Thankfully, DirecTV (my direct broadcast satellite service) pretty much groups them together so they can be easily skipped over.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Athetotheist »

Having one religious position dominate the airwaves is indeed problematic. For some of us, however, having the media world finally emerge from a dark age of Christian domination into a glorious new era of a Christian/Atheist false dilemma is hardly worth that much celebration.