Reasonable movies about God

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Reasonable movies about God

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

There are precious few movies, reasonably well made and in English anyway, which fit the category. There are many, particularly older titles, that deal with miracles, faith or revelation but that's mere hearsay. Atheism is OK as long as it isn't focused on anarchy or the like.

There are only 7 titles listed here. It isn't surprising that there are so few, and one of those is musical. As science progresses, presenting us with natural answers and evidence to questions that had previously been deemed to be the realm of religious faith, we tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater and reject God along with religion. We rush to judgement to get answers, so since God doesn't intervene, He/It must not exist. But science has yet to come up with the first bit of evidence that addresses the origin of the universe, pro- or con God. The least favorite thing for us as a species to do is to admit that we're clueless, and to have to live with doubt.

Please don't include movies that face the question and then just let it drop or fade into the background, like The Black Robe. It should offer some kind of insight.

Inherit the Wind (1960)--The first and in many ways the most courageous, it's thinly fictional look at the Scopes Monkey Trial in 1925 brought teaching religion and suppressing science in the classroom to the forefront again. A classic with some outstanding performances.

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)--Another classic, this first major rock opera (based on the 1971 Broadway production, which itself followed the music album in 1970). It uses an outstanding Webber-Rice score telling the story of the Passion of Jesus, based on the gospels but without the supernatural elements. The lyrics of the title song at the end ask the questions we've been asking, often in hiding, ever since.

The Devil's Advocate (1997)--It's important to remember that most of the film is a dream sequence, with the Devil being, for the protagonist, a symbol for temptation. As he declares at the end, "Vanity is definitely my favorite sin", but on introspection we realize that it's actually the justification for all sin.

Doubt (2008)--The specific problems that are a consequence of the abuse of power of an authoritarian church, lead the parochial school principle/nun to question the divine source of that authority. Those questions, given her commitment to that divine authority, lead to her soul crushing doubt.

Creation (2009)--Well made but little known independent film about the events surrounding Darwin's publication of On the Origin of the Species. He struggles with it due to his wife, Emma, being very religious and insists that she agree to its publication (profound historical speculation?). The death of their sweet, favorite daughter, due possibly to their being close cousins, points to natural selection, while there's no explanation for God's non-intervention on her behalf.

The Tree of Life (2011)-- The opening quote sets the stage, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:4,7". In other words, it isn't your concern, which is the only answer any revealed religion can give to man's continual question, echoed by Job, Why?

Her (2013)--The latest and my first ever all time favorite film, fits the topic due to how it skirts the subject of God. It's a science fiction movie that offers a possible scientific basis for a Hereafter. But since there is no reasonable evidence for God, it doesn't associate any such possible afterlife with God one way or the other or even bring up the subject. In fact, the subject is couched in artistic code. Some who've seen it are probably wondering what I'm talking about--but it is there. It almost always takes a second viewing. Ref: the line, "the space between the words".

Overcomer
Guru

Post #31

Post by Overcomer »

I recommend End of the Spear. It presents the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ better than any movie I have ever seen -- and all without even mentioning his name. For those who are not familiar with it, it's based on the true story of missionaries in the Amazon who were killed by the natives there and what happened in the aftermath of that tragedy. It's a powerful film.

I also recommend China Cry. It, too, is based on a true story. It relates the persecution of a Christian woman in China and her attempts to flee the country with her family.

Then there's Amazing Grace which tells the story of William Wilberforce's fight against slavery in England. When he finally achieved it, I felt like standing up and cheering!

I also recommend Courage which is about a group of police officers wrestling with challenges both on the job and on the home front.

RightReason
Under Probation

Re: Reasonable movies about God

Post #32

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 1 by ThePainefulTruth]

To name a few . . .

Life is Beautiful

A Man for All Seasons

The Exorcist

Babette’s Feast

The Scarlet and the Black

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by ttruscott »

Don't waste your time with The Shack, non-Christian theology in a supposedly Christian movie.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to ThePainefulTruth]

You can't beat, "The Blues Brothers." They were on a mission from God and managed to provide some of the best music ever filmed in their journey to fulfill God's mission.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Athetotheist »

Considering that this thread was started in 2014, I'm a bit surprised that "Frank vs. God" hasn't been included.