Reasonable movies about God

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Reasonable movies about God

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

There are precious few movies, reasonably well made and in English anyway, which fit the category. There are many, particularly older titles, that deal with miracles, faith or revelation but that's mere hearsay. Atheism is OK as long as it isn't focused on anarchy or the like.

There are only 7 titles listed here. It isn't surprising that there are so few, and one of those is musical. As science progresses, presenting us with natural answers and evidence to questions that had previously been deemed to be the realm of religious faith, we tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater and reject God along with religion. We rush to judgement to get answers, so since God doesn't intervene, He/It must not exist. But science has yet to come up with the first bit of evidence that addresses the origin of the universe, pro- or con God. The least favorite thing for us as a species to do is to admit that we're clueless, and to have to live with doubt.

Please don't include movies that face the question and then just let it drop or fade into the background, like The Black Robe. It should offer some kind of insight.

Inherit the Wind (1960)--The first and in many ways the most courageous, it's thinly fictional look at the Scopes Monkey Trial in 1925 brought teaching religion and suppressing science in the classroom to the forefront again. A classic with some outstanding performances.

Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)--Another classic, this first major rock opera (based on the 1971 Broadway production, which itself followed the music album in 1970). It uses an outstanding Webber-Rice score telling the story of the Passion of Jesus, based on the gospels but without the supernatural elements. The lyrics of the title song at the end ask the questions we've been asking, often in hiding, ever since.

The Devil's Advocate (1997)--It's important to remember that most of the film is a dream sequence, with the Devil being, for the protagonist, a symbol for temptation. As he declares at the end, "Vanity is definitely my favorite sin", but on introspection we realize that it's actually the justification for all sin.

Doubt (2008)--The specific problems that are a consequence of the abuse of power of an authoritarian church, lead the parochial school principle/nun to question the divine source of that authority. Those questions, given her commitment to that divine authority, lead to her soul crushing doubt.

Creation (2009)--Well made but little known independent film about the events surrounding Darwin's publication of On the Origin of the Species. He struggles with it due to his wife, Emma, being very religious and insists that she agree to its publication (profound historical speculation?). The death of their sweet, favorite daughter, due possibly to their being close cousins, points to natural selection, while there's no explanation for God's non-intervention on her behalf.

The Tree of Life (2011)-- The opening quote sets the stage, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:4,7". In other words, it isn't your concern, which is the only answer any revealed religion can give to man's continual question, echoed by Job, Why?

Her (2013)--The latest and my first ever all time favorite film, fits the topic due to how it skirts the subject of God. It's a science fiction movie that offers a possible scientific basis for a Hereafter. But since there is no reasonable evidence for God, it doesn't associate any such possible afterlife with God one way or the other or even bring up the subject. In fact, the subject is couched in artistic code. Some who've seen it are probably wondering what I'm talking about--but it is there. It almost always takes a second viewing. Ref: the line, "the space between the words".

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #2

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 2 by ThePainefulTruth]

Moderator Comment

Please do not post one-line (or less) replies -- especially not to bump one's own thread (that hasn't received much interest).

Please review the Rules.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #4

[Replying to post 3 by Zzyzx]

Sorry, that's an unusual rule. And since there's been no response other than my post that generated the rules notification, could you please just delete the thread.

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

I just noticed it. Ben-Hur and The Robe are good, because they avoid the atheist argument of "That never could have happened." All of the supernatural things are stated and not shown, so they are just the testimony of a character.

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #6

[Replying to post 5 by bluethread]

Yeah, true. It's been a long time since I've seen either of them, and that was back when I was still a Christian before I learned to discriminate a little more finely..

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

The Holly and the Ivy.
It explores,among other things, the role of religion in a family's life.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #8

McCulloch wrote: The Holly and the Ivy.
It explores,among other things, the role of religion in a family's life.
I haven't seen it but it sounds like from what you've written if focuses on religion instead of God itself. I'm sure God is brought up, but it just a sort of peripheral subject?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 8 by ThePainefulTruth]

Isn't God always peripheral?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #10

McCulloch wrote: [Replying to post 8 by ThePainefulTruth]

Isn't God always peripheral?
Not according to the Bible or other revealed religions.