AllAboutLove
Student

The Seventh Sign

Post #1

Post by AllAboutLove »

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Sign
http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Sign-Demi ... Demi+Moore

If you haven't watched The Seventh Sign, a mostly forgotten 1988 movie starring Demi Moore and Michael Bieh (the father of John Conner in the Terminator movies), it's worth checking out. There are some very powerful themes and concepts addressed, and the acting is surprisingly first rate.

The Plot:

Demi Moore plays Abbie, a pregnant woman with a history of mental instability. She had previously attempted to commit suicide, and the anxiety over her pregnancy was an overriding Sword of Damocles hanging over her mental health. Her husband is a good-hearted lawyer (Well, it's a fictional movie! Ha, Ha!). He's defending a mentally retarded boy who followed Bible law & killed two people who were sinning, and is now facing the death penalty.

Meanwhile, strange "signs" are appearing all over the earth. The Vatican decides to investigate.

Abbie rents a room to a stranger with an odd accent. He seems nice. But it turns out that this nice man is not what he seems..... and Abbie's unborn baby is the final "sign" that will signal the End of Times.

The Vatican investigator is not who he seems either. It turns out he is much, much older than anyone thinks...

This is a really cool story, and I like the way that it made the Christian apocalypse accessible to those of other faiths (a Jewish boy plays a big role in it..... and you wonder how he could stay Jewish after meeting the Second Coming of Christ..... but the movie doesn't address this).

Abbie is asked over and over again by a mysterious voice: "Will you die for him?" She doesn't know what it means, and is naturally fearful for her unborn baby. But at the seminal moment, she decides YES, I would die for him.... and Christ gives humanity another chance to get things right.

But did she say that she would die for God? Or for her baby?

Let me hear your feedback!

cnorman18

Re: The Seventh Sign

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 1 by AllAboutLove]

I've seen the movie. In fact, I've seen it more than once. It's a fun ride, but of course it has nothing whatever to do with the Bible or any actual "prophecies" -- it's much like The Exorcist in that regard, and many other films that purport to be based on "prophecy."

The acting is first-class. I like Demi Moore, and I'll always remember Jurgen Prochnow as Paul's father, Duke Leto Atreides, in David Lynch's Dune.

AllAboutLove
Student

Post #3

Post by AllAboutLove »

[Replying to post 2 by cnorman18]

Yes, I thought the actor with Down's syndrome was very good (he later went on to be on the TV show "Life Goes On") too. And this movie was actually the first time I had ever heard the legend of the Wandering Jew.

steveb1
Scholar

Post #4

Post by steveb1 »

[Replying to post 1 by AllAboutLove]

A most unusual Christ movie, where Jurgen Prochnow plays the second coming of Jesus: "First, I came as a lamb; now, I come as a lion". One of the better cinematic portrayals of Jesus.