Books about experience of heaven

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jerryxplu
Student

Books about experience of heaven

Post #1

Post by jerryxplu »

I am very skeptical of people writing books of like near death experience and they either went to heaven or hell or whatever. It can be a grown man/woman or some children that claimed these events.

I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books. I remember recent one of such book was the "Boy who came back from Heaven" now saying he didn't die nor did he went to heaven. So I guess it is safe to say that it was all a bunch of lies.

I am fine with people having faith in their religion be it christian, muslim, hindu etc. but when someone claims of supernatural events I am always skeptical of it. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Obviously people love this idea which is why books like the boy who came back from heaven or heaven is for real can be so popular best sellers.

So what do you guys feel/think when you come across such books?

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Books about experience of heaven

Post #2

Post by Youkilledkenny »

jerryxplu wrote: I am very skeptical of people writing books of like near death experience and they either went to heaven or hell or whatever. It can be a grown man/woman or some children that claimed these events.

I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books. I remember recent one of such book was the "Boy who came back from Heaven" now saying he didn't die nor did he went to heaven. So I guess it is safe to say that it was all a bunch of lies.

I am fine with people having faith in their religion be it christian, muslim, hindu etc. but when someone claims of supernatural events I am always skeptical of it. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Obviously people love this idea which is why books like the boy who came back from heaven or heaven is for real can be so popular best sellers.

So what do you guys feel/think when you come across such books?
Religious people are easy prey. They give money to just about anything that their leaders tell them (except to gay people and unwed mothers lol). It's easy to convince religious people of religious things because they WANT to believe in it.
Anyone (Christian or no) worth their weight should be wary of such books that charge for a story.
Jesus never charged for any of his stories why would Christians think it's OK to PAY for some stranger's story?!!?!
Easy prey
Being fair, even people who aren't 'true Christians' buy these things. It makes them feel good I suppose.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Artie »

jerryxplu wrote: I am very skeptical of people writing books of like near death experience and they either went to heaven or hell or whatever. It can be a grown man/woman or some children that claimed these events.

I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books.
Heaven is not the Christian's destination. http://www.hope-of-israel.org/heavenno.htm

LillyS.

Post #4

Post by LillyS. »

there seems to be a common theme that ties all these "post-death" experience books together - and that is that something is beyond death. Rather than being skeptical of each individual story - the question I'd be asking is "What do I believe about life after death and am I ready for whatever is next after I die?" Knowing what you believe will help you sift through the wide variety of stories and literature.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by dianaiad »

Artie wrote:

I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books.
Heaven is not the Christian's destination. ....
Moderator Comment

One line responses such as this do not advance the conversation.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Monta
Guru

Post #6

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 1 by jerryxplu]

"What do i feel when I come across such books"?

I want to read them and see what is in it.
I've read many and it is not because they make me feel good or because I am an easy prey, but because I want to know what other people claim to have experienced.
Non-religious people have had these experience and they are very similar of the religious.

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by fstopper »

[Replying to Monta]

The Bible tells us that God will create new heavens and a new earth, the heavens could refer to the whole universe and possibly beyond.Christians actually are destined to spend eternity with ,and i believe serving the Lord and it will definitely not be boring.I don't believe anyone ca go to heaven or hell and return, even those who see the light may only be seeing Satan transformed into a being of light, as scripture tells us he has that ability.As great an evangelist as Billy Graham is, some of his answers are lacking.

Saint_of_Me
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Saint_of_Me »

[Replying to post 1 by jerryxplu]

I agree. I am a Christian, but also a man of science. I place very little stock in these sort of stories. Like the one about the kid who had a NDE during surgery. "Heaven is Real."

The trouble is that it is all pure hearsay. Why would God allow only a small select and seemingly random group of folks have such an experience? And then relate it to others?

Neurologists and Psychiatrists have done a pretty good job in recent years of explaining how the vast majority of the experiences one undergoes during an NDE can be explained simply by physiological occurrences the body and brain undergo in times of imminent death. Opiates are released; the optic nerve closes down (the "tunnel" experience) and the mind begins to "kick in" all of its defense mechanisms in order to make the experience less painful for the person.

I have never heard of a proven "out of body" experience. Where somebody on his or her death could relate exactly what was happening somewhere else. Like back at their homes, or wherever. Unless what they said they "saw" was simply something that could be expected due to their past experiences. Like the kid in that movie who said he saw his Mom in the hospital waiting room, and his Dad praying in the chapel. Forgive me for being cynical, but this just is not compelling evidence for me.

Lastly. the fact that several claimant of these NDE's have recanted their stories in the past, or downright been proven to have been laying, does not exactly diminish my skepticism on this issue!

Thanks. God Bless.

Is it me, or is it indeed hilarious that this kid's last name is what it is? LOL.......

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/- ... ce-6219795

Monta
Guru

Post #9

Post by Monta »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to Monta]

The Bible tells us that God will create new heavens and a new earth, the heavens could refer to the whole universe and possibly beyond.Christians actually are destined to spend eternity with ,and i believe serving the Lord and it will definitely not be boring.I don't believe anyone ca go to heaven or hell and return, even those who see the light may only be seeing Satan transformed into a being of light, as scripture tells us he has that ability.As great an evangelist as Billy Graham is, some of his answers are lacking.
At transfiguration Moses and another OT person were present.
If our physical universe has 200billion galaxies of what we know, how much bigger are the heavens? Boring? - hardly! Too much to learn, to explore and it will take eternity:
Satan doesn't have power to transform into light imo and if they did, a Christian would differentiate between the light of Christ and of satan.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #10

Post by puddleglum »

Here is an interesting and informative article about people who claim to have seen heaver:

https://mennoknight.wordpress.com/2014/ ... to-heaven/
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV