Books about experience of heaven

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jerryxplu
Student

Books about experience of heaven

Post #1

Post by jerryxplu »

I am very skeptical of people writing books of like near death experience and they either went to heaven or hell or whatever. It can be a grown man/woman or some children that claimed these events.

I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books. I remember recent one of such book was the "Boy who came back from Heaven" now saying he didn't die nor did he went to heaven. So I guess it is safe to say that it was all a bunch of lies.

I am fine with people having faith in their religion be it christian, muslim, hindu etc. but when someone claims of supernatural events I am always skeptical of it. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Obviously people love this idea which is why books like the boy who came back from heaven or heaven is for real can be so popular best sellers.

So what do you guys feel/think when you come across such books?

fstopper
Apprentice

Re: Books about experience of heaven

Post #11

Post by fstopper »

[Replying to Monta]

14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Even Christians can be deceived,just look at how many believe that Christianity and deep time (millions of years of pre history)are compatible,or those who proclaim that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

Monta
Guru

Post #12

Post by Monta »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to Monta]

14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Even Christians can be deceived,just look at how many believe that Christianity and deep time (millions of years of pre history)are compatible,or those who proclaim that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.
Please provide refference. Thanks*

Monta
Guru

Post #13

Post by Monta »

"I am just wondering what you guys especially Christians think of such books. I remember recent one of such book was the "Boy who came back from Heaven" now saying he didn't die nor did he went to heaven. So I guess it is safe to say that it was all a bunch of lies."

This book has been mentioned so many times.
Anybody's read anything else?

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by fstopper »

[Replying to Monta]

2 Corinthians 11:14

Monta
Guru

Post #15

Post by Monta »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to Monta]

2 Corinthians 11:14
Thanks* Now that we know, we shall have to 'test the spirits'.
Just say something like, praise the Lord and mention the name 'Christ'
and 'it' will flee.
For those who are unsure re heaven or hell, the same applies.
You start praising the Lord in the hells and 'it' will kick you out:) nice.

Monta
Guru

Post #16

Post by Monta »

Saint_of_Me wrote:
I agree. I am a Christian, but also a man of science. I place very little stock in these sort of stories. Like the one about the kid who had a NDE during surgery. "Heaven is Real."

The trouble is that it is all pure hearsay. Why would God allow only a small select and seemingly random group of folks have such an experience? And then relate it to others?

Neurologists and Psychiatrists have done a pretty good job in recent years of explaining how the vast majority of the experiences one undergoes during an NDE can be explained simply by physiological occurrences the body and brain undergo in times of imminent death. Opiates are released; the optic nerve closes down (the "tunnel" experience) and the mind begins to "kick in" all of its defense mechanisms in order to make the experience less painful for the person.

I have never heard of a proven "out of body" experience.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/- ... ce-6219795
You never will hear of a proven "out of body" experience because you have already given your explanation how it all works. Santa Sophia will not waste here grains of wisdom on someone who does not want to 'see'.
What you questioned why would God allows this experience on small select group, the thing is he does not; it is not true and tells us that you have hardly read anything. If I am wrong, please tell us what you have read. A man of science has to have an open mind or yu'll forever just repeat what someone else has said.

Rufus21
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Rufus21 »

Here's what makes me skeptical: Nobody ever had a NDE and saw the god of a different religion. It's always the one they already believe in and worship. If these experiences were legitimately divine then everyone would see the same god, but people only see what they want to see. And non-religious people don't see any gods at all. So obviously these experiences are just dreams that come from inside the persons mind, not from anything outside of it.

Now if everybody all over the world said, "I went to heaven, and it turns out the Christians are right!" then that would get my attention.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #18

Post by OnceConvinced »

Many of these books may have things in common, but what is a real eye opener for me is the differences. If these NDEs were legitimate surely they would all be the same in every way? But no. Not at all. They tend to contradict each other.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 18 by OnceConvinced]

I have only read a few. Sometimes, I have found them to be encouraging, while other times, down right frightening. The bottom line for me, is that I really don't need other people's experience of Heaven or Hell to convince me to believe in God, His love has done that for me a long time ago!

zjsd26
Student

Post #20

Post by zjsd26 »

I'm somewhat skeptical about those books. You can never know their full story, many twist it, to fit their own agenda, to gain them popularity and fame. You can think of Heaven is for Real, 23 Minutes in Hell, To Heaven and Back, etc. These books have sold up to millions of copies. So it's an easy cash grab. The bible says we must test every spirit, to see if they are from God. It's all about having that doubt, and really noticing how the story is being read.