Fundamentalist critique and rejection of religious movies

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

lamar1234
Apprentice

Fundamentalist critique and rejection of religious movies

Post #1

Post by lamar1234 »

I've seen, heard and read fundamentalists reject every religiously-themed movie, book, play, video for a host of reasons.

Ken Ham, for instance, hosted a round-table discussion on 'Noah.' He and his staff mocked the Russell Crowe vehicle for its 'inaccuracies.'

They rejected depictions of stone giants as outlandish.

What irony.

They described depictions of motivations as unsound. 'Noah was just an environmentalist trying to protect the world from man? Oh come on!'

Let me be clear. In a free and open society a person or group is free to criticize any depiction of anything for any reason they choose. This does not, though, equate to 'All criticisms are equally valid.'

No one here who was not on that panel is accountable for those men's opinions, but the notion of rejecting a movie because it ascribes a motive to a character's actions seems rather dicey to me.

Perhaps it is those men's intimate understanding of the Book of Genesis that informs their opinions. Why, though, are criticisms based on the variance of the depiction in 'Noah,' for instance, to their own interpretation of Genesis valid?

Is it valid to describe fundamentalist rejections of so many different forms of media as the credulous' predilection or preference or stance being one of "reject first"?

The Kangaroo

Re: Fundamentalist critique and rejection of religious movies

Post #11

Post by The Kangaroo »

Fundamentalists reject books, movies, television shows, and music, because it's all about power and control, and you can't control art.

I like the Russell Crowe "Noah." It was funny. What I really enjoyed was the British wrestler playing Noah's uncle Tubalcain since I'm a Mason and Tubalcain has a Masonic allegory as "the first known atificer and cunning worker in metals."

There was one movie with Edward Norton as a Catholic Priest and Ben Stiller as a Jewish rabbi as best friends and they were both in love with Jenna Elfman. Stiller's confrontation with a right-wing member of his synagogue was funny too.

In one sense, Roberto Rodriguez' "From Dusk to Dawn" was a religious movie since Harvey Keitel was a Baptist preacher who lost his faith.

The modern western movie "The Quick and The Dead" featured Crowe as "Preacher" a gunfighter turned preacher. The character appeared to be based on the comic book character "Preacher" who deals with the supernatural.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Fundamentalist critique and rejection of religious movies

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

The Kangaroo wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:03 amI like the Russell Crowe "Noah." It was funny.
If you had a terrible fever with confusion and delirium, and someone read to you from Genesis, such that you thought it was Lord of the Rings, this movie is probably something like what you'd imagine. The angels trapped in mud to become Watchers were interesting.