O Brother, the Ku Klux Klan is funny

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

lamar1234
Apprentice

O Brother, the Ku Klux Klan is funny

Post #1

Post by lamar1234 »

I was watching 'O Brother Where Art Thou' again recently. What a gem of a movie.

You've seen it or read it, whether you know you have or not.

It's a re-telling of the Odyssey set in the Depression Era South.

It refashions the horrible Cyclops that consumed members of Odysseus' crew as an ACTUAL Cyclops in the Ku Klux Klan.

It takes the viewer on a rescue mission inside of a Klan rally, the climax of which promises to be the lynching of a black guitar player and compatriot of the protagonists, all, themselves, escaped off the County Penal Farm.

The first time I watched it, it was a bit off-putting to be laughing in the midst of a something so blatantly evil as a KKK-rally. If anyone here wished to explain to me how I'm misrepresenting the KKK, I'll patiently listen.

One of the funnier bits was of a troop of hooded Klansmen processing around the torchlit field in perfect synchronization. It was impressive to think how the producers must have pulled some group of actors or dancers together and had them able to perform their moves with precision, though having only a klan hood to see out of.

Could I respectfully request one of my credulous brothers or sisters to explain to me what makes that scene funny? What are the comedic elements in that scene?

I'm NOT asking 'Do you find the Klan funny or do you find scenes making LIGHT of what the Klan did funny?' I'm happy to respond 'no' to BOTH of those questions right now.

You can easily find the scene on Youtube. I'm asking 'Why might some consider it funny to see actors in Klan garb performing formation marching and chanting in PERFECT synchronization?'

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that that scene was wonderfully funny and, actually, a POSITIVE indication of our current societal health. Anyone see how?

shnarkle
Guru

Re: O Brother, the Ku Klux Klan is funny

Post #2

Post by shnarkle »

lamar1234 wrote: I was watching 'O Brother Where Art Thou' again recently. What a gem of a movie.

You've seen it or read it, whether you know you have or not.

It's a re-telling of the Odyssey set in the Depression Era South.

It refashions the horrible Cyclops that consumed members of Odysseus' crew as an ACTUAL Cyclops in the Ku Klux Klan.

It takes the viewer on a rescue mission inside of a Klan rally, the climax of which promises to be the lynching of a black guitar player and compatriot of the protagonists, all, themselves, escaped off the County Penal Farm.

The first time I watched it, it was a bit off-putting to be laughing in the midst of a something so blatantly evil as a KKK-rally. If anyone here wished to explain to me how I'm misrepresenting the KKK, I'll patiently listen.

One of the funnier bits was of a troop of hooded Klansmen processing around the torchlit field in perfect synchronization. It was impressive to think how the producers must have pulled some group of actors or dancers together and had them able to perform their moves with precision, though having only a klan hood to see out of.

Could I respectfully request one of my credulous brothers or sisters to explain to me what makes that scene funny? What are the comedic elements in that scene?

I'm NOT asking 'Do you find the Klan funny or do you find scenes making LIGHT of what the Klan did funny?' I'm happy to respond 'no' to BOTH of those questions right now.

You can easily find the scene on Youtube. I'm asking 'Why might some consider it funny to see actors in Klan garb performing formation marching and chanting in PERFECT synchronization?'

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that that scene was wonderfully funny and, actually, a POSITIVE indication of our current societal health. Anyone see how?
I don't think the Coen brothers are just doing this for comedic effect. It is humorous to see people who are serious about their rituals marching around like some drill team. If we think about it for a while, these guys had to practice this nonsense for a while to get it all down. They are building up tension. We're all wondering what's going to happen to the Robert Johnson character who has already admitted to selling his soul to the devil.

The three jail birds who are all distracted from their respective quests; wife, money, etc. to save someone who they barely know, but have come to see as their friend. There is something that simultaneously grabs and tugs at one's heart strings and pokes one's funny bone. The humor is almost slapstick with the formation marching, the single eye hole for the Cyclops character, the reverence for the flag touching the ground and being caught inches from his remaining good eye. It shines a light on something of the reality of our history while simultaneously showing how ridiculous it was as well. This is the genius of Coen brothers movies.