Experiences of Back Masking

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Faithful One
Guru

Experiences of Back Masking

Post #1

Post by Faithful One »

Backmasking is a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward. Backmasking is a deliberate process, whereas a message found through phonetic reversal may be unintentional.

This technique was used on many vinyl records going as far back as the Beatles , with the " number nine" repeated over and over , if you ran the track backwards .

My personal reaction when I heard the first ones was very eerie and spooky.

1. Did any of you who experienced this feel this same way ?
2. Many had satanic , or devil worshipping undertones , even outright ones , do you think this was mostly to sell records , or were these mainly metal groups , actually worshipping the devil .
3. Share a personal experience and or, give examples of the one you first heard .

The time I first heard of this ironically was at church , ( many moons ago) as these people were traveling from church to church showing the " evilness " of it , the presentation was cool , and shown to the youth groups. This was an eerie experience. The irony of it all is that we had never heard of this , so it made me dive into it more , having the opposite effect , as they were going from church to church , naively showing the youth this back masking , and how to find it .

Never affected my faith , just my curiosity , now I see these " devil worshippers" on their t.v reality shows , hardly the devil worshippers .

help3434
Guru

Re: Experiences of Back Masking

Post #11

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 10 by Faithful One]

Probably the Pink Floyd song "Empty Spaces" from the album The Wall
according to wikipedia when played the other way says ". You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont"

A more interesting form of backmasking is when people talk backwards so that there are intelligible words when played in reverse like the Dwarf and other red room characters in Twin Peaks. Some people think they can hear messages in songs that were recorded only forward when they play them backwards, but that is probably just like seeing pictures in the clouds. We are pattern seeking creatures.

Faithful One
Guru

Post #12

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 11 by help3434]

Yes , that was a good . The ones you speak of are the eerie sounding knew , then the hardly intelligible ones , make your mind play tricks on you , when you try to decipher it .

Many youth were turned on to Satan in this manner While the rock groups were making millions off of them , using the Saatnic worship gig .

Now we see ones like ozzy , who I like , making fun of being the prince of darkness. Hardly the devil worshipper of the "black sabbath " days .

help3434
Guru

Post #13

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to Faithful One]

Nonsense, there is no evidence that the artists recorded messages that could be heard backwards (besides ones that were actually recorded backwards like the Pink Floyd song I mentioned earlier). There is also no evidence that subliminal message actually affect people. The idea that people turned to Satan because of backward messages in songs is a loony urban legend that was popular back in the day in America.

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #14

Post by Ancient of Years »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Faithful One]

according to wikipedia when played the other way says ". You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont"

A more interesting form of backmasking is when people talk backwards so that there are intelligible words when played in reverse like the Dwarf and other red room characters in Twin Peaks. Some people think they can hear messages in songs that were recorded only forward when they play them backwards, but that is probably just like seeing pictures in the clouds. We are pattern seeking creatures.

The 1966 novelty record They're Coming to Take Me Away had as its B side the song run backwards. BTW the chorus to the song refers to the 'funny farm'.

What puzzles me is that people have been claiming to hear things when a song is played backwards for a long time. Back before audio was digitized and fun could be had by the computer literate, the only ways to hear a song backwards was to manually turn a vinyl record backward (and like who really did this?) or to take a played half track open reel tape (as opposed to the usual quarter track) and mount it on the feed side. Not a whole lot of people had half track tape decks. (I did!)
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Faithful One
Guru

Post #15

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 14 by Ancient of Years]

Yes those sound like good ones . I vaguely remember mention of them.

I was one that "did that ". I turned the vynil backwards and heard unmistakable backward recordings Led Zeppelin , stair way to heaven , queen , another one bites the dust, prince , forget the song, quite a few more .

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #16

Post by H.sapiens »

Ancient of Years wrote:
help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Faithful One]

The 1966 novelty record They're Coming to Take Me Away had as its B side the song run backwards. BTW the chorus to the song refers to the 'funny farm'.

What puzzles me is that people have been claiming to hear things when a song is played backwards for a long time. Back before audio was digitized and fun could be had by the computer literate, the only ways to hear a song backwards was to manually turn a vinyl record backward (and like who really did this?) or to take a played half track open reel tape (as opposed to the usual quarter track) and mount it on the feed side. Not a whole lot of people had half track tape decks. (I did!)

While I was never interested enough to bother I had a very fine record player (Thorens turntable, SME BLack Widow arm, etc.) that my friends used to like to use to pay records backward. They'd adjust the anti-skate and move the arm to the other side of the record so that the record was rotating toward the arm.

Faithful One
Guru

Post #17

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 16 by H.sapiens]

Pretty cool . Which one stuck with you the most ? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer , but did they give you any " eerie " feelings"?

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #18

Post by H.sapiens »

Faithful One wrote: [Replying to post 16 by H.sapiens]

Pretty cool . Which one stuck with you the most ? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer , but did they give you any " eerie " feelings"?
I wrote: "While I was never interested enough to bother ..."

help3434
Guru

Post #19

Post by help3434 »

Faithful One wrote: [Replying to post 14 by Ancient of Years]

Yes those sound like good ones . I vaguely remember mention of them.

I was one that "did that ". I turned the vynil backwards and heard unmistakable backward recordings Led Zeppelin , stair way to heaven , queen , another one bites the dust, prince , forget the song, quite a few more .
No, your brain was just finding patterns, just like people finding patterns in clouds. There are no intentional backwards messages in any of the songs you just mentioned.

Faithful One
Guru

Post #20

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 19 by help3434]

No sir . These are plain as day. The led Zeppelin song stair way to heaven, leans to devil worship even with the forward verses.

Prince was obvious , not really hidden.

Queens state over and over, very clearly , " I want to smoke marijuanna ".

Very intentional.