Is football the Christian religion?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Is football the Christian religion?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

I just had a Christian client come in and say that the house he is moving into has an open basement, so he is planning on making it a football room. He is planning on putting a big screen on one end and have helmets down each side under museum lighting. So, this man is dedicating half of his house to football?

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #11

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

koko wrote: American football, like international soccer, is mostly played on Sundays. That says quite a bit! O:)
Is this mockery? Ha-ha, lets have a laugh. Evil.

Can one go to mass on Sunday and play sports on the same day? Yes. Blasphemy? No.

koko

Post #12

Post by koko »

koko wrote: American football, like international soccer, is mostly played on Sundays. That says quite a bit! O:)

Is this mockery? Ha-ha, lets have a laugh. Evil.

Can one go to mass on Sunday and play sports on the same day? Yes. Blasphemy? No.

I have not seen the movie but know the story very well. It shows how religion (that is, TRUE Christianity) and football helped revive a segregated southern town.

koko

Post #13

Post by koko »

Perhaps pro wrestling should be said to be the official Christian sport: http://christianwrestling.com/

imhereforyou
Scholar

Re: Is football the Christian religion?

Post #14

Post by imhereforyou »

bluethread wrote: I just had a Christian client come in and say that the house he is moving into has an open basement, so he is planning on making it a football room. He is planning on putting a big screen on one end and have helmets down each side under museum lighting. So, this man is dedicating half of his house to football?
So what if he is dedicating ½ or all of his house to football? Why does that have any impact on you?
Why does one's hobby matter to someone else?
I don't get it :shock:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

bluethread wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:01 pm I just had a Christian client come in and say that the house he is moving into has an open basement, so he is planning on making it a football room. He is planning on putting a big screen on one end and have helmets down each side under museum lighting. So, this man is dedicating half of his house to football?
Midwest USA has some strange, almost unreal fascination with (American) football. It's truly bizarre! Spouses are abused if teams don't win sometimes. Other times cars and dumpsters in the downtown areas are set on fire if the team looses - sometimes if they win. College football coaches are paid millions and millions of dollars a year. Players are treated like deities and millions and millions of dollars are spent locally on football paraphernalia.
Once, where I'm from, several marines from a local city were killed in the middle east (something like 7 of the 8 of them all killed at once if I remember right) and the local paper ran that story on page 4 or 5 and left the first page or two to the football team.
Craziness
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

YahDough wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:03 pm [Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

Many professing Christians would rather watch football than go to church. That doesn't mean they love football more than the LORD, our God.

Or does it? :)
Maybe because football is more interesting? Who knows. But I've seen way too many people checking their watches on Sunday afternoon, wondering how much longer this sermon is going to be because they need to get home and watch 'the game.'

I've seen churches change Sunday night service times to make sure they net more people on Super Bowl Sundays. Sad but true.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

grumix8

Post #17

Post by grumix8 »

nope just normal sport people shouldn't make sports or education or any of the variety A religion. Only G-d ;D.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Purple Knight »

I don't think a television is a shrine to the shows people watch on it and I don't think a football room means you worship football. People can like things a lot and it can have the same symptoms as worship but be absolutely distinct from worship.

Something I have noticed, however, is that whenever the win-loss dynamic presents itself, it invites superstition.

You may barely win against, say, the Detroit Lions this year and then and practice harder. You may study their plays. You may invest in players to counter their players. And lo and behold, next year, you may lose to them, even if you invested more than they did.

Here are some things you might do to rationalise this happening:
1. The other people on my team are at fault; they are lazy and didn't try hard enough. I know this because I know I tried hard enough.
2. The coaches suck. They chose terrible plays. We know all the players gave it their all so it must be the coaches sucking.
3. The other team is cheating.
4. My teammates are taking bribes; they must have thrown the game.
5. I guess I didn't pray hard enough.

Notice something about this, namely that only choice 5 is remotely healthy. All other choices create strife and hate.

We have a need to know what went wrong, but simultaneously, in this win-loss dynamic a lot of why what happens, happens, may be a mystery. To some degree, especially if a particular playing field is decently balanced (which is, after all, what people want to watch and even play in), the result can seem to be generated by the shake of a magic 8-ball.

It's not healthy to blame ourselves, to stop trying because we absolutely did give it our all and we now conclude (quite logically) that it didn't work, to blame others, or to generate baseless suspicion. This is why choice 5 comes to be, and why people who select it may actually be doing the right thing. They may even win more.