Is football the Christian religion?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Is football the Christian religion?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

I just had a Christian client come in and say that the house he is moving into has an open basement, so he is planning on making it a football room. He is planning on putting a big screen on one end and have helmets down each side under museum lighting. So, this man is dedicating half of his house to football?

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Possibly. I do think our spending habits reveal our hearts.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Then again what do you have in your basement?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #3

Post by Ancient of Years »

What nationality is this person? What politics? What skin color? What hair color?

Why is him being a Christian relevant as opposed to anything else about him? Why call it a religion as opposed to a hobby or an obsession or simply something that makes him happy?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Ancient of Years wrote: What nationality is this person? What politics? What skin color? What hair color?

Why is him being a Christian relevant as opposed to anything else about him? Why call it a religion as opposed to a hobby or an obsession or simply something that makes him happy?
He is a multi-generational citizen of these United States. I think he leans conservative, but is generally a political. He is light skinned. He has black hair with male pattern baldness. Does that explain the obsession? If so how? I call it a religion, because religion is what follows from one's beliefs. If an individual is bragging about dedicating half of his house to football while saying very little about Christianity, or the views it espouses, What would you see he believes in more?

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #5

bluethread wrote:
Ancient of Years wrote: What nationality is this person? What politics? What skin color? What hair color?

He is a multi-generational citizen of these United States. I think he leans conservative, but is generally a political. He is light skinned. He has black hair with male pattern baldness. Does that explain the obsession? If so how? I call it a religion, because religion is what follows from one's beliefs. If an individual is bragging about dedicating half of his house to football while saying very little about Christianity, or the views it espouses, What would you see he believes in more?
I was raised Catholic. We were told not to talk about religion except to other Catholics unless asked. Missionary work was to be left to professionals. Not being 'in your face' about one's religion does not mean that what one IS 'in your face' about is one's religion.
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Ancient of Years wrote:
I was raised Catholic. We were told not to talk about religion except to other Catholics unless asked. Missionary work was to be left to professionals. Not being 'in your face' about one's religion does not mean that what one IS 'in your face' about is one's religion.
So, what do you call a Catholic who is "in your face" about football?

By the way, this individual goes to an evangelical church.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Is football the Christian religion?

Post #7

Post by Danmark »

bluethread wrote: I just had a Christian client come in and say that the house he is moving into has an open basement, so he is planning on making it a football room. He is planning on putting a big screen on one end and have helmets down each side under museum lighting. So, this man is dedicating half of his house to football?
Interesting. It does sound like he is creating a religious shrine. Football does become a "religion" in the same way that atheists have been accused of having religious like devotion about their lack of belief.

There may be a confluence of some kind, particularly in the Bible Belt, of religious right and the football fanatic.

The more interesting thing to me the comparison between the Bible fan and the football fan. To me it seems that the loyalty and fervor of one is identical to the other. In both cases they grow up partial to a particular 'team' and their loyalty to one is no more justified than their loyalty to the other. They defend their religion team the same way they defend their football team.

Go UW Huskies! ;) :D

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #8

bluethread wrote:
Ancient of Years wrote:
So, what do you call a Catholic who is "in your face" about football?

By the way, this individual goes to an evangelical church.
A football nut.

I know some evangelicals. Believe it or not, they have lives outside the church.
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: Is football the Christian religion?

Post #9

Post by YahDough »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

Many professing Christians would rather watch football than go to church. That doesn't mean they love football more than the LORD, our God.

Or does it? :)

koko

Post #10

Post by koko »

American football, like international soccer, is mostly played on Sundays. That says quite a bit! O:)