What's with SNL?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

What's with SNL?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

Just watched SNL 3/5/17. There wasn't one thing funny about it. It was just a series of ad hominem. All of the punch lines, if one can call them that, were predictable and were not based on actual character traits, but partisan stigma. Even the simplest jokes like the Jeff Sessions listing of people who met with the Russian ambassador, might have been funny if they had noted that Pelosi and Schumer met with him, i.e. this guy met with everybody. What about spoofing the hearing that gave rise to this whole thing? The sketch writes itself. Oh yah, they might have to show Franken being, well Franken. Sorry, IMO, these people are hacks. Does anyone find SNL funny anymore?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: What's with SNL?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

bluethread wrote: Does anyone find SNL funny anymore?
I never was a fan of SNL. However, I don't find the Trump administration to be so funny either. I see the Trump administration as basically destroying everything the USA has ever stood for. So for me it's not funny at all. It's absolutely disgusting and the fact that people are just making fun of the Trump administration is actually scary. Precisely because it's not funny at all. It's deadly serious and extremely dangerous.

Trump wants to cut funding for diplomacy and build up the military. What for? Who is he planning on going to war with?

By the way ISIS is hardly a threat to the USA and never has been. More people are killed in the USA by right-wing extremists than have ever been killed by terrors save for perhaps the 9/11 event specifically.

And besides, our military isn't already strong enough to defeat ISIS? :-k

That's not even the problem at all!

Trump is an absolute idiot. And a very dangerous one. Nothing funny about it. Hopefully he'll have a nervous breakdown before too long and will become incapacitated so we can get back to having someone a bit more sane in charge of our government.

I don't think SNL is funny. But at the same time I think their skits are based on reality. Trump and his admin are indeed outrageous. Why do you think SNL has so much material to work with? If he was a normal sane president SNL wouldn't have much to say about him. They'd be doing other things.

Consider this, the 2916 election year was considered the most utterly absurd and outrageous year of politics ever. But now that Trump is president EVERY YEAR is going to be the most outrageous insane and absurd year. So get used to it. It's only going to go downhill from here on out.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Divine Insight wrote:
I don't think SNL is funny. But at the same time I think their skits are based on reality. Trump and his admin are indeed outrageous. Why do you think SNL has so much material to work with? If he was a normal sane president SNL wouldn't have much to say about him. They'd be doing other things.
I get it. You don't like Trump and neither do they. However, the problem I have with SNL isn't that they are making fun of Trump et. al. My problem is that they are not based in reality but simple ad hominem. Though I have never really been fond of transvestite acting, McCarthy's Spicer was pretty good. That is because of the real tension in the press room. McKinnen is also a very good actress with great timing. However, every week the material is less and less caricature with a twist and, more and more vitriol.

My complaint isn't about the political bias. That's a given. It's about the laziness. Take the Spencer's sketch. Everyone knows Spenser's is a perverse novelty shop. So, what do they do? They just trot out some of the offensive merchandise and hope that carries the gag. John Baluchi must be rolling in his grave. Sell it! Do you think the execs at Spenser's are just passively presenting that stuff and just slinking off when it is rejected. No, someone actually believes that garbage will sell. So, show those execs actually trying to make the sale. that would be funny, if done right. Work it folks.

koko

Post #4

Post by koko »

SNL will never be as funny as in its hey day back in the 1970s. It's still funny but lacks the originality that we saw in that era.

help3434
Guru

Post #5

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 4 by koko]

Was SNL that good in the 70s? I mean Chevy Chase's "impersonation" of Gerald Ford was just him falling down a lot, it wasn't even an impersonation. The impersonation of politicians today on SNL are far better.

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

[Replying to post 5 by help3434]

Thanks for your reply.

I do not watch today's show so I am not able to give you an informed reply. Only that I cannot imagine today's show having the same creativity and originality that it had back in the 70s.

Enjoy the show!

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

bluethread wrote: Just watched SNL 3/5/17. There wasn't one thing funny about it. It was just a series of ad hominem. All of the punch lines, if one can call them that, were predictable and were not based on actual character traits, but partisan stigma. Even the simplest jokes like the Jeff Sessions listing of people who met with the Russian ambassador, might have been funny if they had noted that Pelosi and Schumer met with him, i.e. this guy met with everybody. What about spoofing the hearing that gave rise to this whole thing? The sketch writes itself. Oh yah, they might have to show Franken being, well Franken. Sorry, IMO, these people are hacks. Does anyone find SNL funny anymore?
Did SNL change or did you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

If you want to watch a good sketch comedy show I would recommend Studio C. The show is produced by BYUtv and the actors and writers are all Mormon, but the show is not religious.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 4 by koko]

Was SNL that good in the 70s?
Yes it was. Classic TV that will never be matched again. Sure it had some clunkers, but the hits way outweighed those occasional misses. Did you watch the show in the 70s?

help3434
Guru

Post #10

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 9 by Tcg]

I was not yet alive in the 70s.