The Handmaid's Tale

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

The Handmaid's Tale

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

The Handmaid's Tale was a book by Margaret Atwood. There was a underwhelming movie in 1990 but the recent Emmy winning Hulu production was both beautiful and powerfully realised I thought. One of the best things on TV for a long time and a deserving winner, though I have friends who thought it was a little slow.

[center]Trailer for The Handmaid's Tale[/center]
In the Handmaid's Tale the United states has been taken over by a theocratic state and is now the Republic of Gilead. Atheists, gays, Jews are hung from walls. Catholic Churches are bulldozed, woman are not permitted to read. Eyes are plucked and hands cuts off. Woman - the handmaid's - are raped for the greater good. It is a highly disturbing picture of totalitarian power, misogyny and religious fundamentalism.

Unrealistic dystopia or a disturbing warning to be heeded?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #31

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 30 by Wootah]

At best that's an argument for the nuclear family, why does it matter which gender is in marketing and which gender runs the hot bath for the marketer when he or she comes home from work?

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 31 by Bust Nak]

I dont think running a hot bath is a gender role but i do think you enjoyed or would enjoy the handmaids tale.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #33

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 32 by Wootah]

What is again left unsaid here is, working for a salary is a gender role, and homemaking is a gender role. Why tiptoe aound the issue if that is what you think (or indeed, if it is what you deny?)

Wootah
Savant

Post #34

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 33 by Bust Nak]

You're imagining things. The handmaids tale is for fantasy.

Proverbs 31 is a good example of all the roles of a woman. Home, business etc.

All im saying is that we ignore our biological reality at our peril. I did for a long time. Men have the luxury of choosing poorly for longer. However it still doesn't mean there arent many losses to mourn.

I find life better for me when i work and pursue and gather resources. For me pursuing my stereotype has been healthy.

I think that might be true for women as well.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

shnarkle
Guru

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Post #35

Post by shnarkle »

Furrowed Brow wrote: The Handmaid's Tale was a book by Margaret Atwood. There was a underwhelming movie in 1990 but the recent Emmy winning Hulu production was both beautiful and powerfully realised I thought. One of the best things on TV for a long time and a deserving winner, though I have friends who thought it was a little slow.

[center]Trailer for The Handmaid's Tale[/center]
In the Handmaid's Tale the United states has been taken over by a theocratic state and is now the Republic of Gilead. Atheists, gays, Jews are hung from walls. Catholic Churches are bulldozed, woman are not permitted to read. Eyes are plucked and hands cuts off. Woman - the handmaid's - are raped for the greater good. It is a highly disturbing picture of totalitarian power, misogyny and religious fundamentalism.

Unrealistic dystopia or a disturbing warning to be heeded?
I'm about half way through the first season, and it is a bit slow. I think it is realistic, and one need only change characters from religious zealots to politically correct zealots to see we're well on our way to a tyrannical dystopia where anyone who doesn't stick with the pc narrative will get their heads lopped off.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #36

Post by shnarkle »

[Replying to post 35 by shnarkle]

Well, now I'm about half way through the second season, and beginning to see themes I hadn't noticed before.

These handmaids are being ritually raped, but because they're now living in a culture that values children more than just about anything, they want these babies as well. Unlike the one we live in where rape is the biggest reason to have an abortion.

The other parallel I see is in the self censorship that is becoming so prevalent in our society today. People are becoming afraid to voice their opinion for fear of being attacked. I recently saw an add on CBS depicting a riot going on with people beating others to a pulp while a spokesman of sorts justified violence to anyone who veered from the mainstream media narrative. Anyone who didn't agree was effectively no different than a Nazi, and therefore deserved to be beaten mercilessly.

Today, it isn't the homosexual, the atheist, agnostic, etc., but the Christian, Jew, and Muslim who had better watch what they say. It is the Christians who are being taken to court for not working against their will. They're being repeatedly selected for scrutiny and litigation.

The other thing I noticed is that the series is constantly flashing back to life before this new government took over. It's striking how the new government is able to keep order, and even though there is some drama, it's all considerably subdued compared to what we view as normal. The handmaids are very polite, and humble, and some seem to be adapting quite well. They seem to really prefer their new lifestyle.

I've heard people make similar remarks with regards to the religion of Islam in that they felt they needed the discipline that they didn't get growing up.

PapaMoomin

Post #37

Post by PapaMoomin »

bluethread wrote: Regarding your equating the Tanakh with radical Islam, as I stated, people tend to see what they want see.

If that's your position then you can't claim that the Tanakh is clear about anything. Your position needs to be that anyone can see anything they want in it.

That doesn't say much for the Tanakh.

And besides, Islam is based on precisely this same underlying mythology. Allah and Yahweh are the same God. Christianity and Islam are simply two different offshoots of the same original mythology.
THANK YOU for saying that! I know I kind of cut your answer from a greater thread and this is a thread for Handmaid's Tale but you made me so happy by writing that. I have for the longest time said that all religions are coming from the same concept or mythology as you say! I have nothing wrong on my mind, not in the slightest am I bashing the religion! No! I am simply saying that it is humans who create something good or something bad, a good or a wrong understanding. It is us who turned that mythology into something else and then use it for good or for bad. You have no idea how angry people get on the very sound of idea that their religion may have the same bases as someone else's. I am saddened by humanity.