Unplanned

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

RightReason
Under Probation

Unplanned

Post #1

Post by RightReason »

I hesitate to put this in Religion in Entertainment because it isn't really about religion. It is the human rights issue of our times.

I am curious if anyone else has seen the movie and if so, what they thought?

I think the movie is a must see. I do not think there has ever been a movie that actually shows what takes place during an abortion. This movie depicts a chemically induced abortion as well as a surgical extraction. For a low budget film, I thought this movie was more than accurate and compelling.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

I haven't seen it, but it is in the news currently as it is coming to Canada. There is talk of people threatening to boycott the theatres that are going to be showing it in an attempt to force them NOT to do so.

I don't want to see it. I'm already pro-life and don't need to see how awful the abortion process is to know it's barbaric and wrong. I don't have the stomach for it. I'm afraid those that need to see it won't bother to do so.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to Overcomer]
I haven't seen it, but it is in the news currently as it is coming to Canada. There is talk of people threatening to boycott the theatres that are going to be showing it in an attempt to force them NOT to do so.
What is their reasoning for boycotting? What is wrong about telling the true story of a Planned Parenthood worker who could no longer do what she was doing? If abortion is legal, what is so wrong about exposing what it actually entails? Isn’t that the kind of information women should have access to in order to make informed decisions. Do they actually think a theatre should only show movies that they personally agree with? How odd.
I don't want to see it. I'm already pro-life and don't need to see how awful the abortion process is to know it's barbaric and wrong. I don't have the stomach for it.
I can understand this, but by going to see it, you are helping theatres realize there is a market for movies like this and who knows if a pro life friend would be able to convince their pro choice friend to go see it with them and what effect that could have on them? You going to see it could keep the theatre showing the movie for 1 day longer and who knows how many might be helped if that happens.

Why would a pro choice person be afraid to see it? Shouldn’t they see what they are fighting for? I saw it. It was not unstomachable in the way you might fear. It was actually very moving. I wouldn’t describe it as gratuitous at all. It was real and sad. Did people protest Schindler’s List? Did they think it was wrong for a movie to actually show the bodies of so many Jewish people being killed in the gas chambers? Sometimes it is important for us to see these kinds of things. It reminds us what human beings are capable of. It represents reality and history, and perhaps allows us to learn from our mistakes.
I'm afraid those that need to see it won't bother to do so.
Probably not, because they don’t want to face the truth. That’s exactly how the main character in the movie, Abbie Johnson was able to work at Planed Parenthood for as long as she did. She convinced herself she was doing the right thing – that it was all about choice, but when she actually allowed herself to see abortion for what it was, she could no longer ignore the violent horror of it. I encourage you to go. Oddly enough, in the end, the movie was a movie about love, redemption, and hope. You would not be sorry you saw it.

shnarkle
Guru

Re: Unplanned

Post #4

Post by shnarkle »

RightReason wrote:
I do not think there has ever been a movie that actually shows what takes place during an abortion. This movie depicts a chemically induced abortion as well as a surgical extraction. For a low budget film, I thought this movie was more than accurate and compelling.

It may be the first dramatized movie to do so, but certainly not the first to show an actual abortion. The first, and only one I ever saw was "Silent Scream", and I saw it when I was in grade school. Actually, I saw one other, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but both were quite graphic. in one, the woman having the abortion is sedated, but screams during the procedure.

Some might claim to be scarred for life for being subjected to having to watch a documentary showing an actual abortion, but given the context I was already in, it wasn't all that traumatizing. However, it did cement my revulsion to the very idea of someone murdering their unborn child.

My recollection is that this movie came out not too long after Roe v. Wade.

Ironically, the film can still be viewed on YouTube. It has over 1.2 million views. I'm surprised it hasn't been removed.

Here's the link:

Here's the description:

The Silent Scream Complete Version - Abortion as Infanticide

Dr. Bernard Nathanson's classic video that shocked the world. He explains the procedure of a suction abortion, followed by an actual first trimester abortion as seen through ultrasound. The viewer can see the child's pathetic attempts to escape the suction curette as her heart rate doubles, and a "silent scream" as her body is torn apart. A great tool to help people see why abortion is murder. The most important video on abortion ever made. This video changed opinion on abortion to many people.
Introduction by Dr. Bernard Nathanson, host. Describes the technology of ultrasound and how, for the first time ever, we can actually see inside the womb. Dr. Nathanson further describes the ultrasound technique and shows examples of babies in the womb. Three-dimensional depiction of the developing fetus, from 4 weeks through 28 weeks. Display and usage of the abortionists' tools, plus video of an abortionist performing a suction abortion. Dr. Nathanson discusses the abortionist who agreed to allow this abortion to be filmed with ultrasound. The abortionist was quite skilled, having performed more than 10,000 abortions. We discover that the resulting ultrasound of his abortion so appalled him that he never again performed another abortion. The clip begins with an ultrasound of the fetus (girl) who is about to be aborted. The girl is moving in the womb; displays a heartbeat of 140 per minute; and is at times sucking her thumb. As the abortionist's suction tip begins to invade the womb, the child rears and moves violently in an attempt to avoid the instrument. Her mouth is visibly open in a "silent scream." The child's heart rate speeds up dramatically (to 200 beats per minute) as she senses aggression. She moves violently away in a pathetic attempt to escape the instrument. The abortionist's suction tip begins to rip the baby's limbs from its body, ultimately leaving only her head in the uterus (too large to be pulled from the uterus in one piece). The abortionist attempts to crush her head with his forceps, allowing it to be removed. In an effort to "dehumanize" the procedure, the abortionist and anesthesiologist refer to the baby's head as "number 1." The abortionist crushes "number 1" with the forceps and removes it from the uterus. Abortion statistics are revealed, as well as who benefits from the enormously lucrative industry that has developed. Clinics are now franchised, and there is ample evidence that many are controlled by organized crime. Women are victims, too. They haven't been told about the true nature of the unborn child or the facts about abortion procedures. Their wombs have been perforated, infected, destroyed, and sterilized. All as a result of an operation about which they they have had no true knowledge. Films like this must be made part of "informed consent." NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) and Planned Parenthood are accused of a conspiracy of silence, of keeping women in the dark about the reality of abortion. Finally, Dr. Nathanson discusses his credentials. He is a former abortionist, having been the director of the largest clinic in the Western world.