Reading Lists

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Reading Lists

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, I thought it might be useful, from time to time, to discuss what the top three books on our various reading lists might be. I am hoping this might inspire some, and enable others to spot shared interests, all in the interests of promoting community spirit.

So, to kick things off, the top three books on my list are:

Baron, P. (2016) Kant and Natural Law, Active Education Ltd.
Law, S. (2011) Believing Bullshit, Prometheus Books. New York.
Unger, P (1996) Living High and Letting Die, Oxford University Press Inc. New York.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

I only just discovered this thread. I'm so glad you started it and am sorry others haven't chipped in. I love hearing what people are reading. I have discovered some good reads through the recommendations of others.

Right now I am working my way through a commentary by Gordon Fee on 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus.

I just got a mammoth book entitled Civilizations by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto from the library.

For recreational reading, I love mysteries and recently finished the third novel in the Georgian mystery series by A. J. MacKenzie. Now I eagerly await the writing of a fourth.

I could provide a lengthy list as I read a great deal in many genres (except horror which doesn't interest me at all).

I hope others add to this thread as well.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 2 by Overcomer]

Hello, my friend Overcomer. That certainly seems like an interesting list, and I am glad to have discovered a fellow bibliophile. As someone famous once said (I forget who) the truly ignorant are not those who cannot read, but those who will not read. I hope most sincerely you get facts, ideas and pleasure from your reading.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Overcomer
Guru

Post #4

Post by Overcomer »

I love that quotation, 2ndRateMind. I have never heard it before.

Years ago, I read a newspaper article about a guy who was working on his Masters in Education, planning on being a teacher, and he said he HATED reading. He said he got film versions of novels he was supposed to study and documentaries for history, etc. I couldn't believe it! In fact, I don't know how he ever got into graduate school at that rate.

I have always been a big reader. When I was a child, if I ran out of books to read, I'd read the encyclopedia. I just wanted to KNOW things. And I love good writing.

I have just started David Bentley Hart's Atheist Delusions. I had read his Doors of the Sea which is a look at the existence of evil in the world and found it one of the most articulate and literary books on the topic. So far, Atheist Delusions hasn't disapointed me. It's also well-written.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 4 by Overcomer]

If you are truly interested in learning something about atheists, you should read a book written by one. "Love's Executioner: & Other Tales of Psychotherapy" by Irvin D. Yalom would be an excellent starting place.

If you need a more technical approach, "Existential Psychotherapy" by Yalom should keep your interest.

On the other hand, if you simply want to read books that support your reason to disrespect atheists, neither would interest you.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Overcomer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Overcomer »

I have followed The Friendly Atheist's blog and read a lot of the articles at Internet Infidels (and even participated in their forum many moons ago) and am familiar with the work of some of the widely-known atheists such as Richard Dawkins through their web sites and through their debates with the likes of William Lane Craig, but Yalom is new to me. I appreciate the recommendation, Tcg. Thank you!

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Overcomer wrote: I have followed The Friendly Atheist's blog and read a lot of the articles at Internet Infidels (and even participated in their forum many moons ago) and am familiar with the work of some of the widely-known atheists such as Richard Dawkins through their web sites and through their debates with the likes of William Lane Craig, but Yalom is new to me. I appreciate the recommendation, Tcg. Thank you!

You're welcome, Overcomer. As you'll find if you check out Yalom's writings, he is not anti-theism or pro-atheism, but rather pro-humanity and has devoted his life to helping humans live fully and honestly while facing life's most difficult realities.

He never seeks to convince people to change their views about God or the afterlife, but rather to live life fully, now.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Mattathias
Student

Re: Reading Lists

Post #8

Post by Mattathias »

This thread has been inactive for quite some time but I’m new here and reading lists always capture my attention.

I’m concurrently reading two books at the moment.

The Sage from Galilee: Rediscovering Jesus’ Genius by David Flusser

An Humble Inquiry into the Scripture-Account of Jesus Christ: A Short Argument concerning His Deity and Glory, according to the Gospel, Updated Edition by Thomas Emlyn

I’ve enrolled in an online course offered by Hillsdale College titled The David Story. The course begins on October 5. The textbook that will be used is The David Story: A Translation With Commentary Of 1 and 2 Samuel by Robert Alter.

I have many more on my reading list but these are the top three at the moment.
The hound of Jewish monotheism

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

The best book on religion I've ever read

.................................... Image

Mattathias
Student

Post #10

Post by Mattathias »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 pm .
The best book on religion I've ever read

.................................... Image

I’ve read quotations from Russell but I’ve never read the book. I’ll add it to my reading list.
The hound of Jewish monotheism