Demonic possession

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

Demonic possession

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

Is demonic possesion something that is only for the movies?

Can this 'news' feature be taken seriously. Should it even be reported as 'news'?

I think not.

Beto

Post #11

Post by Beto »

MikeH wrote:
studentem wrote:Just to clarify, are you referring to the "subject" of evil, magical, extra-dimensional beings taking control of people?
Yes, I am referring to that subject. I assume that to be so floored by a news report such as this you have studied demonology, read the works of Alphonse de Spina, Peter Binsfield, attended exorcisms, and have then drawn your conclusion instead of just arguing from ignorance.
You're asking every chemist out there to thoroughly study alchemy before they can dismiss it. Or every psychologist or neurosurgeon to study demonology before they can dismiss it... etc, etc. That's ridiculous.

Rathpig
Sage

Post #12

Post by Rathpig »

Beto wrote: You're asking every chemist out there to thoroughly study alchemy before they can dismiss it. Or every psychologist or neurosurgeon to study demonology before they can dismiss it... etc, etc. That's ridiculous.
It seems as worse in scale as what you have mentioned. To be consistent, he is actually asking every professional to revisit and disprove long disproven concepts that have zero credibility in a modern context. Should a physician be required to divine the entrails of a freshly killed rooster to determine if your disease was caused by evil spirits or a malicious hex? Demons belong to the same superstitious realm as voodoo dolls, casting bones, and tarot cards. Does anyone requesting credibility in an academic forum literally believe in this rot?

At some point I think we have to let superstitions like witches and demons become a quirky part of our unenlightened past.

asp59
Student

Re: Demonic possession

Post #13

Post by asp59 »

bernee51 wrote:Is demonic possesion something that is only for the movies?

Can this 'news' feature be taken seriously. Should it even be reported as 'news'?

I think not.

[font=Arial]Satan and his demons try to communicate with humans through spirit mediums, since they themselves are debarred from further materializing in the flesh. They pretend to be the “disembodied souls� of deceased humans. They obsess or beset and besiege weak-minded persons, and even take possession of yielding persons. The prophet Moses was inspired to warn God’s people against having anything to do with these demonic enemies of God.(Deuteronomy 18:9-13) “When you are entered into the land that Jehovah your God is giving you, you must not learn to do according to the detestable things of those nations. 10 There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, 11 or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. 12 For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you. 13 You should prove yourself faultless with Jehovah your God)
So beware of spiritism![/font]

quotes taken from www.watchtower.org

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Demonic possession

Post #14

Post by Choir Loft »

bernee51 wrote:Is demonic possesion something that is only for the movies?

I think not.
The same can be said for UFO's, Elvis sightings, leprechauns (*), aluminum foil ball caps, time travel and endless conjecture about the origins (and endings) of life on planet earth.

It can also be argued that some people in Washington are possessed of demons. Personally I think the appropriate word is purchased rather than possessed. Is there a real difference in the definition or am I just splitting partisan hairs, politically speaking?

(*) Any critter that likes Guiness is ok in my book.

xSilverPhinx
Student

Post #15

Post by xSilverPhinx »

Can't say I envy the religious demonic possession perspective that some religious people hold. Mega WTF?!

David 2.0

Hi...

Post #16

Post by David 2.0 »

"Is demonic possession something that is only for the movies?"

Perhaps?(Yes)

Although...
Nature seems to have some examples of "possession"?(Without the demons.)
So on some level the "idea" isn't really a mind blower.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Hi...

Post #17

Post by Choir Loft »

David 2.0 wrote:"Is demonic possession something that is only for the movies?"

Perhaps?(Yes)

Although...
C.S. Lewis wrote a neat little book about demonic activity and their purpose with humanity. It was called THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS. It's written in the form of a novel, not preachy not pretentious and certainly not a theological work. It's rather light reading and nothing like the graphic Hollywood production of our day. For a metaphysical subject it's rather down to earth, so to speak.

Lewis himself denied that he was a theologian, yet the book contains some very deep insight into the machinations of the invisible world. Primary among these is the notion that demons 'eat' their prey. According to his premise, demons are spiritual parasites which attract and then devour their human host from the inside out. When finished they cast the empty husk aside and seek others to consume.

Whether you accept the idea in principle or not, it's a good read. If nothing else, the interaction between Lewis' characters is a 'novel' idea, pun intended.
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Choir Loft »

richardP wrote:

Perhaps?(Yes)

Although...
C.S. Lewis wrote a neat little book about demonic activity and their purpose with humanity. It was called THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS. It's written in the form of a novel, not preachy not pretentious and certainly not a theological work. It's rather light reading and nothing like the graphic Hollywood production of our day. For a metaphysical subject it's rather down to earth, so to speak.

Lewis himself denied that he was a theologian, yet the book contains some very deep insight into the machinations of the invisible world. Primary among these is the notion that demons 'eat' their prey. According to his premise, demons are spiritual parasites which attract and then devour their human host from the inside out. When finished they cast the empty husk aside and seek others to consume. Hence the books title.

Whether you accept the idea in principle or not, it's a good read. If nothing else, the interaction between Lewis' characters is a 'novel' idea, pun intended.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Choir Loft »

richardP wrote:
richardP wrote:

Perhaps?(Yes)

Although...

Lewis himself denied that he was a theologian, yet the book contains some very deep insight into the machinations of the invisible world. Primary among these is the notion that demons 'eat' their prey. According to his premise, demons are spiritual parasites which attract and then devour their human host from the inside out. When finished they cast the burned out hulk aside and seek others to consume. Hence the books title.

R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.