There are no facts, only interpretation

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Seek
Student

There are no facts, only interpretation

Post #1

Post by Seek »

Nietzsche made this statement to refute the idea that humans know anything. What do you think?

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Re: There are no facts, only interpretation

Post #11

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #10]

Speaking for myself, I have no objection to you establishing parameters.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #10]

May I also suggest for your list, the approximate time period (decade/century) what might be called "Science", recognized what could be called "Scientific facts", or if you prefer, "Scientific certainty".
Thanks

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

BeHereNow wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #10]

Speaking for myself, I have no objection to you establishing parameters.
I was simply stating, in order to have this discussed, as a whole, one would need to answer those questions first. I've found - especially on here - that people tend to create their own definitions and argue about their meanings, missing the point of the exercise.
If one sets the, as you say, 'parameters', people will argue over those set parameters. And I'm by no means qualified to set parameters for the group :D
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by BeHereNow »

I was simply stating, in order to have this discussed, as a whole, one would need to answer those questions first. I've found - especially on here - that people tend to create their own definitions and argue about their meanings, missing the point of the exercise.
If one sets the, as you say, 'parameters', people will argue over those set parameters. And I'm by no means qualified to set parameters for the group :D
Certainly a good generalization, although not universal.
More importantly, counterproductive to some discussion techniques, such as the Socratic dialog.
Me, I go with the flow.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

BeHereNow wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 am

Certainly a good generalization, although not universal.
More importantly, counterproductive to some discussion techniques, such as the Socratic dialog.
Me, I go with the flow.
Not being universal is the whole point being made. Good luck finding something everyone can agree on with all their opinions, ideals, beliefs and individuality, even if it's provable being any legitimate doubt.
Some reject reality and interject their own version.
So the best we'd ever get is far from universal agreement, no matter what the facts do or don't show.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #15]

Been there, done that.

BTW, when I said "not universally true", I was referring to your claim:
"I was simply stating, in order to have this discussed, as a whole, one would need to answer those questions first."
That, is not universally true.

Apparently you are not familiar with the Socratic dialog.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

BeHereNow wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:53 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #15]

Been there, done that.

BTW, when I said "not universally true", I was referring to your claim:
"I was simply stating, in order to have this discussed, as a whole, one would need to answer those questions first."
That, is not universally true.

Apparently you are not familiar with the Socratic dialog.
A bit familiar with it, but no expert and never claimed to be. I simply was posting what I was thinking about the topic, based on my experience with, in part, people here.
If that's not good enough, well, it is what it is 8-)

Sherlock Holmes

Post #18

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Seek wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:14 am Nietzsche made this statement to refute the idea that humans know anything. What do you think?
I think there's something in this. All I know with certainty is that I exist, everything else is an inference based on assumptions/beliefs.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Purple Knight »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:28 pmAll I know with certainty is that I exist, everything else is an inference based on assumptions/beliefs.
Well, you know something exists, and you call it self.

You might not actually know you exist because if you only know that, you don't know you and I aren't the same person, and since I doubt your existence, you would be forced to doubt it as well.
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:00 amI agree and yet for some it seems to be a major issue. Some even refer to Romans 1 and suggest that it affirms that atheists don't exist. Of course, here I for one am so obviously we've found yet another fallacy with the Bible. I suspect I'm not the only atheist either.
Hopefully someone doesn't come along and prove you are God because that would break your seemingly iron-clad argument.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #20

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:28 pmAll I know with certainty is that I exist, everything else is an inference based on assumptions/beliefs.
Well, you know something exists, and you call it self.

You might not actually know you exist because if you only know that, you don't know you and I aren't the same person, and since I doubt your existence, you would be forced to doubt it as well.
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:00 amI agree and yet for some it seems to be a major issue. Some even refer to Romans 1 and suggest that it affirms that atheists don't exist. Of course, here I for one am so obviously we've found yet another fallacy with the Bible. I suspect I'm not the only atheist either.
Hopefully someone doesn't come along and prove you are God because that would break your seemingly iron-clad argument.
I know only of one person, "me" technically solipsism is the only honest position to take.