There are no facts, only interpretation

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Seek
Student

There are no facts, only interpretation

Post #1

Post by Seek »

Nietzsche made this statement to refute the idea that humans know anything. What do you think?

mgb
Guru

Re: There are no facts, only interpretation

Post #21

Post by mgb »

Seek wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:14 am Nietzsche made this statement to refute the idea that humans know anything. What do you think?
A lot has been made of this vis a vis the subjectivity of our experience but there are varying degrees of subjectivity in our experience and people who support this view often choose the most subjective examples to support their argument. For example, the color red, they will say, is subjective and may even be different to how others experience it. From this example great claims are made. But there are other aspects of our experience that are not so subjective. There seems to be an objective reality out there. For example, if two people make the same journey in their cars and both journeys take the same amount of time, give or take a bit, we can be reasonably sure there is a real objective journey out there in reality.

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:22 am
Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:05 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:28 pmAll I know with certainty is that I exist, everything else is an inference based on assumptions/beliefs.
Well, you know something exists, and you call it self.

You might not actually know you exist because if you only know that, you don't know you and I aren't the same person, and since I doubt your existence, you would be forced to doubt it as well.
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:00 amI agree and yet for some it seems to be a major issue. Some even refer to Romans 1 and suggest that it affirms that atheists don't exist. Of course, here I for one am so obviously we've found yet another fallacy with the Bible. I suspect I'm not the only atheist either.
Hopefully someone doesn't come along and prove you are God because that would break your seemingly iron-clad argument.
I know only of one person, "me" technically solipsism is the only honest position to take.
This is why I think that the only real thing is consciousness and everything is a result of that.

Most refer to this as "God".

Thus "God" is the only reality which exists, and anything experienced is done so through consciousness. It is consciousness alone which is real [solipsism] - not "things".

Fact - these words [describing things], add up to the same number-value:

[131]
Solipsism
Mother Earth
Intuition
Eleven years
Development
The Power Of...
Those Who Can
Learn How to
Anticipation
The Old Soul
Not a Problem!
Heuristics
Google Deep mind

There are facts and facts are objective things. It requires consciousness to acknowledge and work with facts.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

Seek wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:14 am Nietzsche made this statement to refute the idea that humans know anything. What do you think?
Wouldn't this apply to this statement as well? So if there's no facts, only interpretation, then if I interpret this a certain way, this isn't factual and not true so there are facts that aren't open to interpretation.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

mac_
Student

Post #24

Post by mac_ »

I'm sure of course Nietzsche believed his statement was factual.
Non-religious theist.

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Post #25

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

Is the statement in question factual? Or shall I dismiss it as the mere product of subjective interpretation?