Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Seek
Student

Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #1

Post by Seek »

Our knowledge comes from our inherently subjective perception, which has shown to be fallible. There is no truth, merely coincidental attitudes driven by probability. If there is no truth in perception, then there is no right or wrong about anything. Anyone be allowed to steal, slander, hurt, humiliate, insult, bully, swear at or even kill anyone at any time. Basically, anyone is permitted to do anything at any time. Normal people would say ”but Seek, there are laws you have to abide by”, but my response to them is ”How do I know my belief system isn’t flawed in such a way that enables me to do criminal things?”
Last edited by Seek on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Nothing is certain; everything is permitted

Post #11

Post by Purple Knight »

Seek wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 amNormal people would say ”but Seek, there are laws you have to abide by”, but my response to them is ”How do I know my belief system isn’t flawed in such a way that enables me to do criminal things?”
You don't, and you have to follow morality anyway. Most people's system of moral laws inherently contains the idea that you're not morally liable for what you had no way of knowing would happen. You follow the system to the best of your ability and knowledge and that is the system.

So if you see me about to kill somebody, and you kill me to stop me, but hold on, we were actually in universe gemi-omega and I was an innocent purple hydra of chaos that you saw as a murderer in a logical universe because either 1) the universe is chaotic, sometimes generating logic or 2) someone dosed you with LSD, well then, you're not morally liable for what you just did.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 am
Seek wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am Our knowledge comes from our inherently subjective perception, which has shown to be fallible. There is no truth, merely coincidental attitudes driven by probability. If there is no truth in perception, then there is no right or wrong about anything. Anyone be allowed to steal, slander, hurt, humiliate, insult, bully, swear at or even kill anyone at any time.
Is the fact that I know 2 + 2 = 4 a result of fallible, inherently subjective perception?
Basically, anyone is permitted to do anything at any time.
The difference between our mathematical system and the really rather complex world our perceptive, subjective senses inform us about is the former can be known a priori by logic, and the latter can only be known a posteriori, by experience. Nevertheless, I incline to the view that our senses must be mostly accurate most of the time for most of humanity. If they weren't we'd all have been carnivore food a long time back. As for the logic of maths, the English philosopher Bertrand Russell pointed out that 2+2=4 is really only saying (1+1)+(1+1) = (1+1+1+1). You don't need much in the way of experience to decide that is true.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Seek wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:37 am ”How do I know my belief system isn’t flawed in such a way that enables me to do criminal things?”
Or even just unethical things. I wish more people would ask themselves that important question more often. Particularly our leadership in politics and/or business.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Rose2020 »

Yes anything is permitted and possible. Yet the wise man knows that not everything is good to do and that certain actions result in bad consequences. We cannot ever do as we please, as humans are inherently destructive as well as creative. Without rules and discipline, life falls into chaos. We need policing.
It is a matter of how much policing is tolerable and acceptable by the majority in order that it becomes law for all.

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 am Yes anything is permitted and possible.
Are you thinking of the Paul's ridiculous exaggeration in 1 Corinthians 10:23 where he says:

23“Everything is permissible,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible,” but not everything builds up."

And perhaps misconstruing Matthew 19:26 where it says

26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

If not, just where did you get the idea that "anything is permitted and possible"?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #16

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #15]

There is no contradiction. Both point us to wisdom, if we are willing. Nothing in the Bible is ridiculous, only foolish humans are that.

Miles
Savant

Post #17

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:37 am [Replying to Miles in post #15]

There is no contradiction. Both point us to wisdom, if we are willing. Nothing in the Bible is ridiculous, only foolish humans are that.
Never said a thing about contradiction, but rather permission and ability. I don't believe everything is authorized or consented to, or is possible to do. DO YOU?

Do you actually believe Paul's claim, "Everything is permissible,” is sane? Has someone or some agency given people permission to gun down innocent citizens? Has someone given you permission to turn off all the water in your community? If not, then don't you think it's rather absurd to claim "Everything is permissible”?
EVERYTHING is not permitted.

Do you really think you could run a three-minute mile? Or start a fire using nothing but your mind? As things stand, aren't these impossible things to do?
ALL THINGS are not possible to do.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #18

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #17]

Without God we are limited. With Him, it is amazing what is possible that you assumed otherwise. Give it a go? Try prayer.

Miles
Savant

Post #19

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:31 am [Replying to Miles in post #17]

Without God we are limited. With Him, it is amazing what is possible that you assumed otherwise. Give it a go? Try prayer.
So you actually believe that with god you have permission to gun down innocent citizens and turn off all the water in your community. Moreover, with god you could run a three-minute mile or start a fire using nothing but your mind.

Do you not understand how ludicrous such claims are? Obviously not, so I'll leave you to your world of delusional beliefs.

Good luck.

Miles

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #20

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #19]

Of course not. God stands for love and light, He knows what is best for us, sincere prayer is always answered as He knows our hearts. Prayers are not necessarily as we would wish but what is best . This is faith.