What are the strongest arguments for atheism?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

harvey1
Prodigy

What are the strongest arguments for atheism?

Post #1

Post by harvey1 »

You know, come to think of it. I haven't seen any arguments that support the atheist claim that God doesn't exist. Why is that? So, let's turn the tables for a second, and ask, what are the strongest arguments in support of atheism?

Btw, don't bother answering if you either don't have an argument or don't feel that you are required to support your philosophical position.

Talishi
Guru

Re: What are the strongest arguments for atheism?

Post #711

Post by Talishi »

Monta wrote: There is a God who has always existed who is reality itself.
And reality itself gets his knickers in a twist when I sleep with my wife.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

JewishVolcano
Apprentice

Post #712

Post by JewishVolcano »

No real answer can be given to a question with unclear terms. 'Existence of God' may have multiple different meanings.

Most importantly it can mean one of two things - 1) existence of supernatural being who created the world or 2) existence of supernatural being who created the world AND has features which are attributed to him by religious texts and beliefs (most importantly - a specific agenda for humans as told by those claiming to be his prophets).

If first meaning is to be considered then atheists imo have no grounds to deny existence of such a being. And it is my understanding that they don't usually deny it. It's just that nothing is known about whether such being or beings existed and to what extent he/they contributed to the existence as we know it.

If second meaning is to be considered then here all burden of proof lies on those making a claim. Anyone can make any imaginable claim about God. And throughout human history a huge variety of claims, often contradictory, has been made.

So unless those making a claim provide evidence no one has a solid reason to treat any of it as anything other than fantasy.