For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Baz
Site Supporter

What is so wrong with Subjectivity?

Post #1

Post by Baz »

What is so wrong with Subjectivity?
Theories, concepts, art music and many of the pleasures of life are almost purely subjective and of considerable importance, at least to me.
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

There's nothing wrong with it as the concept of 'wrong' is subjective.

The only reason you would notice a dislike of subjectivity on this forum is that subjective experience just doesn't qualify as proof or evidence.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Re: What is so wrong with Subjectivity?

Post #3

Post by flitzerbiest »

Baz wrote:What is so wrong with Subjectivity?
Theories, concepts, art music and many of the pleasures of life are almost purely subjective and of considerable importance, at least to me.
There is a tendency in such fora to equate subjective with false and objective with true. I suspect that in most phenomena, both are in play. In music, for example, the objective reality of air pressure waves at 64 cycles/second produce the subjective experience of a rumbling low bass note (C, to be specific).

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Subjective opinions are wonderful things. From such things we get so many rich and entertaining works. But subjective opinions should never masquerade as evidence or proven facts. That's all.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

mgb
Guru

Post #5

Post by mgb »

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Baz »

AkiThePirate wrote:There's nothing wrong with it as the concept of 'wrong' is subjective.

:bow:
Love it......

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Baz »

McCulloch wrote:Subjective opinions are wonderful things. From such things we get so many rich and entertaining works. But subjective opinions should never masquerade as evidence or proven facts. That's all.
Can we not except that in general they could be fact?
For instance would it not be a fact that some music is soothing and some rousing?

:-k

sickles
Sage

Post #8

Post by sickles »

Baz wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Subjective opinions are wonderful things. From such things we get so many rich and entertaining works. But subjective opinions should never masquerade as evidence or proven facts. That's all.
Can we not except that in general they could be fact?
For instance would it not be a fact that some music is soothing and some rousing?

:-k
It would be a fact to say that music is soothing and rousing to some. It would be mythology to say that it is for all. Science is only interested in "Laws" and "theories"
i.e. end all be all. Subjective works and opinions can do the same as Laws and theories. They can both inspire the human mind to create and explore. They are only at odds in each others backyards.
"Behold! A Man!" ~ Diogenes, my Hero.

Baz
Site Supporter

Why?

Post #9

Post by Baz »

Let me explain where I am coming from on this; I am not in the least scientific in nature (I don’t feel the need to work out how a nail holds up a shelf I just look at another shelf and more often than not use an extra nail or one a bit longer)
I do however consider myself to be a logical thinker (I am open to being corrected on that in some cases)
I have come to this site with an interest in religious points of view (expecting to ask questions about why this or that is believed and to get some idea how some people from vireos religions think)
I thought that I would find a lot of dogmatic religious points of view that I would have difficulty understanding or believing, but would no doubt be interesting and worthy of debate (not that my debate would be of a very high standard)

What has surprised me the most is where I have come across what appears to me to be the most closed mindedness (Note to moderators; No offence intended but just don’t know how else to put it)
I keep seeing in thread after thread it must be objective and I think to myself why?
Almost everything that is important to me is subjective. I could go on to list lots of stuff but what’s the point everything I see think and feel is subjective. In truth I don’t see how even looking at a solid object like my shelf isn’t subjective.

:confused2:

sickles
Sage

Re: Why?

Post #10

Post by sickles »

Baz wrote:Let me explain where I am coming from on this; I am not in the least scientific in nature (I don’t feel the need to work out how a nail holds up a shelf I just look at another shelf and more often than not use an extra nail or one a bit longer)
I do however consider myself to be a logical thinker (I am open to being corrected on that in some cases)
I have come to this site with an interest in religious points of view (expecting to ask questions about why this or that is believed and to get some idea how some people from vireos religions think)
I thought that I would find a lot of dogmatic religious points of view that I would have difficulty understanding or believing, but would no doubt be interesting and worthy of debate (not that my debate would be of a very high standard)

What has surprised me the most is where I have come across what appears to me to be the most closed mindedness (Note to moderators; No offence intended but just don’t know how else to put it)
I keep seeing in thread after thread it must be objective and I think to myself why?
Almost everything that is important to me is subjective. I could go on to list lots of stuff but what’s the point everything I see think and feel is subjective. In truth I don’t see how even looking at a solid object like my shelf isn’t subjective.

:confused2:
Welcome to the site. Everything that is you is subjective. You go through various experiences in life and those experiences form a construct called your mind. Its all about relativity. However, we all accept axioms to get through the day to day life. For some examples:

I exist.
There is a real reality outside of my consciousness, and is not a construct.
There are other consciousness other than my own, with similar desires to my own.

These are basic axioms that most people can agree to. Now, science and objectivity are just extensions of the list of axioms.:

Matter attracts matter
nothing can go faster than the speed of light
etc etc

science is a list of things we all take to be true because they are true as far as we all can tell. There is common concent to live as though these things are true. So in short, everything is subjective to each point of view, but i think of each point of view as having common experiences that science and objectivity can make effecient use out of. Its a tool, in other words. Its not meant to be the main way to think, any more than it is to have a hammer in your hand while sleeping.
"Behold! A Man!" ~ Diogenes, my Hero.