For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Sweet~T
Banned
Banned

Gender of God

Post #1

Post by Sweet~T »

So in my life every religion I have studied has stated outright God is a man. God the Father, Son, so on and so forth. So in this, my subject for debate is simple
Is God, (assuming human like appearance,) a Male or Female?
Support answer.

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #21

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

PATSY wrote: SINCE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH GOD.
Theoretically yes, anything would be possible with an omnipotent God. BUT, though God could snuff out the universe with a supernatural snap of It's fingers, It mustn't violate the most insignificant facets of natural law if It wants to maintain our natural, rational universe in which we can make rational decisions.
WE ARE MADE IN GOD'S IMAGE BUT DOES THAT MEAN WE HAVE TO HAVE CERTAIN BODY PARTS? NOPE. NOT IN MY OPINION.
I agree. What if trees developed a nervous system and self-awareness; or life on another planet developed completely differently than ours.
GOD MAY ACTUALLY HAVE MADE EVERY SINGLE THING IN IT'S IMAGE. LIVING AND NON LIVING. WE ASSUME ONLY LIVING BEINGS ARE MADE IN GOD'S IMAGE. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NO PROPHECY SAYING THAT GOD DID NOT MAKE OTHER ENTITIES IN IT'S IMAGE TOO.
I think that's just another way of saying that God may be pandeistic and is all that exists, even thoughts--It is the embodiment of Truth.
Truth=God

jerryxplu
Student

Re: Gender of God

Post #22

Post by jerryxplu »

[Replying to post 1 by Sweet~T]

well in Chinese mythology the creator of human was Goddess NuWa whom is half human half snake (upper body human).

Assuming the usage of a genital besides of course reproduction is for peeing. I see no reason for gods to have need to pee and or poop. Although many writing do have story of gods having feast or drinking wine.

In summary, Christian (Jewish Muslim) god is probably nongender. Of course unless you take into context of the whole adam and eve story where as Adam was made in the image of God and he was first man. Did God then created him with a penis is the question.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #23

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Sweet~T wrote:
So in my life every religion I have studied has stated outright God is a man. God the Father, Son, so on and so forth. So in this, my subject for debate is simple
Support answer."

My response:
My understanding of God, according to my Christian worldview, is that God has no gender. God has no physical or biological qualities, but interestingly He does have mental qualities, and from those I would definitely say that He tends to be more masculine-like, mainly because of His dominant behavior and authoritarianism. All of my views are based on my understanding of the Bible.

Liteninbolt
Student

Post #24

Post by Liteninbolt »

Sweet~T wrote: So in my life every religion I have studied has stated outright God is a man. God the Father, Son, so on and so forth. So in this, my subject for debate is simple
Support answer.
Applying a patriarchal endowment to the male gender could lend itself that in early times the head of a family has been historically been attributed to the alpha male. in time other cultures or tribes, females have been placed in the position as head.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #25

Post by puddleglum »

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.�
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
(Genesis 1:26-27 ESV)
God created man in his image and he created him male and female. This shows that male and female are both attributes of God. It is possible that God created Adam both male and female and later removed the female part and used it to make Eve.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/adams-rib/

In his relationship with humans God is always considered to be male. He created marriage as a union between a man and a woman and he used it to describe his relationship with his worshipers. In doing so he identified himself with the husband and his people as the wife.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -equality/
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Daddieslittlehelper
Scholar

Post #26

Post by Daddieslittlehelper »

puddleglum wrote:
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.�
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
(Genesis 1:26-27 ESV)
God created man in his image and he created him male and female. This shows that male and female are both attributes of God. It is possible that God created Adam both male and female and later removed the female part and used it to make Eve.
Have to Disagree

Gen 1. 26 God said, 'Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven, the cattle, all the wild animals and all the creatures that creep along the ground.'

27 God created man in the image of himself, in the image of God he created him,

The question is who is the US

I would Argue the holy Spirit and Yihweh are the US.

Book of Wisdom 1.4 Wisdom will never enter the soul of a wrong-doer, nor dwell in a body enslaved to sin;

5 for the holy spirit of instruction flees deceitfulness, recoils from unintelligent thoughts, is thwarted by the onset of vice.

Book of wisdom 9.17 And who could ever have known your will, had you not given Wisdom and sent your holy Spirit from above?

Wisdom is the Holy Spirit

and Wisdom is Female

Wisdom 8.1 Strongly she(wisdom) reaches from one end of the world to the other and she governs the whole world for its good.

7.7 And so I prayed, and understanding was given me; I entreated, and the spirit of Wisdom came to me.

8 I esteemed her more than sceptres and thrones; compared with her, I held riches as nothing.

Luke 7:35 But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

Proverbs 9. 1 Wisdom has built herself a house, she has hewn her seven pillars,

2 she has slaughtered her beasts, drawn her wine, she has laid her table.

Proverbs 8.1 Is not Wisdom calling? Is not Understanding raising her voice?

12 'I, Wisdom, share house with Discretion, I am mistress of the art of thought.

Wisdom the holy Spirit is feminine and also as Proverbs 8.22 shows

22 'Yahweh created me(wisdom), first-fruits of his fashioning, before the oldest of his works.

Wisdom is actually the First thing God created.

It appears to me, that the form of womens creation follows the same theme with Wisdoms.

God takes a part of Adam and forms Eve, it could be seen in the Same way that God took a part of himself to create Wisdom. Afterall male and female humans are made in their image as written 'Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves

Gen 2.21 Then, Yahweh God made the man fall into a deep sleep. And, while he was asleep, he took one of his ribs and closed the flesh up again forthwith.

22 Yahweh God fashioned the rib he had taken from the man into a woman, and brought her to the man.

23 And the man said: This one at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh! She is to be called Woman, because she was taken from Man.

This explains the US talking and the male and female parts of humanity.

Although the translations from hebrew are actually incorrect, God did not make man in his Image

Actually a better translation reads "Yihweh God filled the man with his Shaddow".

So it could be seen that man is filled with a shaddow of the image of Yihweh and women is filled with a Shaddow of the image of Wisdom.

The two stones ;)

Book of Wisdom 7. 27 Although she is alone, she can do everything; herself unchanging, she renews the world, and, generation after generation, passing into holy souls, she makes them into God's friends and prophets;

28 for God loves only those who dwell with Wisdom
"Be loving as your lord is loving´ Christian ´Compassionate as Allah is compassionate´ Muslim, and Jew,´be humble and love Yihweh your God with everything you´ve got´"

"Look! More Queens then Beas is a bad thing!"

"Judge others as you wish to be judged"

Quotes:- ME

Oh and "yes these are my ideas!"

"the Golden rule of Buddism is not ´it´s every monk for himself´Quote- A.f.c.W

marco
Savant

Post #27

Post by marco »

Daddieslittlehelper wrote:Gen 1. 26 God said, 'Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven, the cattle, all the wild animals and all the creatures that creep along the ground.'

Then he should have made tigers a lot smaller - maybe about the size of a hedgehog. It is clear that when tiger meets man, tiger is master. Of course the jussive command "let him be" could refer to a period thousands of years on, when man developed the gun and was able to kill indiscriminately.

God wisely got rid of tyrannosaurus rex before Adam appeared, else Adam would have had terrible problems mastering that. One can agree that Adam probably saddled the Indian elephant but the African one, with the long ears, would be very hard to master. Also the rhino and the hippo. Maybe God supplied Adam with special instruments to help him master these particularly large beasts. It is all very confusing.

Just who recorded these divine instructions, and to whom were they spoken?

Daddieslittlehelper
Scholar

Post #28

Post by Daddieslittlehelper »

marco wrote:
Daddieslittlehelper wrote:Gen 1. 26 God said, 'Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven, the cattle, all the wild animals and all the creatures that creep along the ground.'

Then he should have made tigers a lot smaller - maybe about the size of a hedgehog.
And there you go again, claiming you know better the God.

It is clear that when tiger meets man, tiger is master.
Clearly that's why there are so many in the zoo. And why Tiger products like hides are sold on black markets.
Of course the jussive command "let him be" could refer to a period thousands of years on, when man developed the gun and was able to kill indiscriminately.

God wisely got rid of tyrannosaurus rex before Adam appeared, else Adam would have had terrible problems mastering that.
Not really.
One can agree that Adam probably saddled the Indian elephant but the African one, with the long ears, would be very hard to master.
:) just as history shows
Also the rhino and the hippo. Maybe God supplied Adam with special instruments to help him master these particularly large beasts. It is all very confusing.

Just who recorded these divine instructions, and to whom were they spoken?
Moses apparently recorded them, but the stories of Genesis are Pre-Moses.
"Be loving as your lord is loving´ Christian ´Compassionate as Allah is compassionate´ Muslim, and Jew,´be humble and love Yihweh your God with everything you´ve got´"

"Look! More Queens then Beas is a bad thing!"

"Judge others as you wish to be judged"

Quotes:- ME

Oh and "yes these are my ideas!"

"the Golden rule of Buddism is not ´it´s every monk for himself´Quote- A.f.c.W

marco
Savant

Post #29

Post by marco »

Daddieslittlehelper wrote:
marco wrote:
Then he should have made tigers a lot smaller - maybe about the size of a hedgehog.
And there you go again, claiming you know better the God.
It was only a suggestion. And remember, I don't share your views on what constitutes deity.
marco wrote:
It is clear that when tiger meets man, tiger is master.
Daddieslittlehelper wrote: ... that's why there are so many in the zoo. And why Tiger products like hides are sold on black markets.
I covered that objection. God's claim would be false if Adam met tiger. I did say that if He were referring to future times, his lending man a gun would sway the balance in man's favour. Maybe God should have said I will give SOME men mastery over SOME animals SOME of the time. People get killed by hippos, so it's no good God insisting man is master when clearly he isn't- not all the time. Of course he can easily master a mouse, no question there.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #30

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 27 by marco]

When God gave man dominion over the animals sin had not yet entered the world. The animals voluntarily submitted to man.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV