From Albert Einstein

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Guy Trudel
Student

From Albert Einstein

Post #1

Post by Guy Trudel »

"Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, help, and guidance; also, by virtue of its simplicity, it is accessible to the most undeveloped mind. But, on the other hand, there are decisive weaknesses attached to this idea on itself, which have been painfully felt since the beginning of history. That is, if this being is omnipotent, the every occurrence -- including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration -- is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards, He would, to a certain extent, be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?"

Science and Religion
Albert Einstein

perfessor
Scholar

Post #2

Post by perfessor »

My opinion is that god is an anthropomorphism; we project onto him the attributes we would most like him to have.

This is not to say that He/She/It doesn't exist.

More useful to me is the Buddhist/Taoist idea: anything we say about him is wrong. "Without color, expression, or form, or attribute to name." - Pete Townsend

perspective
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by perspective »

Hi, Guy, and Welcome. Please take a minute to review the rules here at the forum.

All new topics in the debate forum must specify a question to debate. Please use bold or a color to indicate the specific question you wish to debate in this thread.

PM me if you have any questions. If no debate question is specified by the end of today, I will have to close this thread until I get a PM from you.

perfessor
Scholar

Post #4

Post by perfessor »

Wow – Einstein broke the rules!

My phrasing of the question would be: is god an anthropomorphism? Are we not creating a god in our own image by painting pictures in the Cistine Chapel? We use words and phrases like ‘He’, ‘almighty’, ‘His Chosen People’, 'Our Father who art in Heaven...', etc. etc., but these seem more like OUR ideas of what we WANT god to be..

All over the world, billions of people say they know who god is. They say they have infallible texts to back them up. But the descriptions are all different. They can’t ALL be right. More likely to me is that all are wrong. Given, for the sake of discussion, that something created the universe (another word that doesn’t fit – is god a thing?), we have layered that something over with a magnificent encrustation of our own various culturally comfortable ideas.

"Work out your own salvation, with diligence." - Buddha (reported to be his last words)