Chimps and Bonobos

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Badham
Sage

Chimps and Bonobos

Post #1

Post by Mr.Badham »

I have to admit, I'm more than just a little disappointed with my cousins. If we're so closely related, why aren't they doing better? They don't seem very smart at all. Sure they can use a blade of grass to stick in an ant hole, but I just cracked a can of beer.

Question for debate; What's the real difference between us and Chimps and Bonobos?

Mr.Badham
Sage

Re: Chimps and Bonobos

Post #11

Post by Mr.Badham »

[Replying to SailingCyclops]

I'm comparing them to animals with smaller brains than them. Animals that are actually doing better as a species, like say dogs or cats. What really got me was a show called "Wild India", and in it there was a monkey that the narrator called "The most successful primate after humans." And I thought, "It should be chimps."

Davidjayjordan
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Mr.Badham wrote: I have to admit, I'm more than just a little disappointed with my cousins. If we're so closely related, why aren't they doing better? They don't seem very smart at all. Sure they can use a blade of grass to stick in an ant hole, but I just cracked a can of beer.

Question for debate; What's the real difference between us and Chimps and Bonobos?
They're animals and we are not. They did not progress from us. Simple answer in my opinion.

And dont watch those bondo's too much as their frequent unions will give you ideas, and make you start thinking about mating as well...

But then again, that is a way they reslove problems....... HUh .... I.think I can come up with a few problems, that a few females might help me solve... OH HAPPY DAYS, OH HAPPY DAYS, when Jesus walked... OH HAPPY DAYS in Heaven and the HEREAFTER. Problems solved the good old fashioned Bondo way.

enviousintheeverafter
Sage

Post #13

Post by enviousintheeverafter »

[Replying to post 1 by Mr.Badham]

Why is this thread posted in the philosophy sub-section? This has absolutely nothing to do with philosophy. The difference between us and chimps or bonobos is a simple empirical question- at best it would belong in the science and religion section.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #14

Post by H.sapiens »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by SailingCyclops]

Vegetable jokes aside.

So now you have a contradiction.

Man is an animal.
Animals are in harmony with the environment.
Man is not in harmony with the environment.

Therefore Man is not an animal.
What ever gave you the idea that Animals are in harmony with the environment? Must have been your misunderstanding of evolution.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by ttruscott »

SailingCyclops wrote:

Not too smart? Compared to what?
The primates you mention do not destroy their environment, do not kill for fun or sport, they do not abuse, murder or torture each other (or members of other species for that matter). They do not commit genocide, make wars, pillage, or exterminate other species.

Umm he did mention chimps in the title and they do hunt members of their in-group for cannibalistic reasons which seems to be a fun or sport based activity since they are not starving or anything. They also make war on chimp troops / clans/ tribes from neighbouring areas:

http://content.time.com/time/health/art ... 85,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... laims.html

Just google "wild chimps wage war"
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #16

Post by H.sapiens »

ttruscott wrote:
SailingCyclops wrote:

Not too smart? Compared to what?
The primates you mention do not destroy their environment, do not kill for fun or sport, they do not abuse, murder or torture each other (or members of other species for that matter). They do not commit genocide, make wars, pillage, or exterminate other species.

Umm he did mention chimps in the title and they do hunt members of their in-group for cannibalistic reasons which seems to be a fun or sport based activity since they are not starving or anything. They also make war on chimp troops / clans/ tribes from neighbouring areas:

http://content.time.com/time/health/art ... 85,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... laims.html

Just google "wild chimps wage war"
This is true, they are remarkably like humans in many ways.

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

H.sapiens wrote:
Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by SailingCyclops]

Vegetable jokes aside.

So now you have a contradiction.

Man is an animal.
Animals are in harmony with the environment.
Man is not in harmony with the environment.

Therefore Man is not an animal.
What ever gave you the idea that Animals are in harmony with the environment? Must have been your misunderstanding of evolution.
Post 2. I think I made a good summary of it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #18

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 17 by Wootah]
The post in question specified specific animals as living in harmony with their environment, the generalisation to include all animals, as stated in your second premise, is unwarranted.

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Wootah]
The post in question specified specific animals as living in harmony with their environment, the generalisation to include all animals, as stated in your second premise, is unwarranted.
Shouldn't we be skeptical of what 'harmony with the environment' could possibly mean? I suspect a human mortality rate < 30 and living hand to mouth and not understanding anything is far more in harmony with nature than we care to admit.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #20

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 19 by Wootah]
Much like living as chimps and bonobos would? Sure, but there are technological alternatives that doesn't mean we give up on luxury in life. Green energy, recycling, electric cars and such.