No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Most people dismiss solipsism as simply being unworthy of consideration. Solipsism holds that only one person is having an experience and everything else (including all other people) are just an illusion in the mind of the one single person who is imagining life to exist.

Solipsism can't be disproved. We have no way to determine whether other people are actually having an experience. Yet, dispute the fact that it can't be disproved most people dismiss it as simply being a highly unlikely hypothesis. It just seems more rational to believe that all humans and even animals are actually having an experience just like us.

And this is a very rational position to take.

~~~~~

So now, what about the question of "Free Will"?

Is it rational to dismiss the concept and demand that there can be no such thing as "Free Will"?

Well, we can ask what that would mean.

If there is no such thing as "Free Will", then J.R.R. Tolkien had no choice but to write "The Lord of the Rings" precisely as he wrote it. He could not be credited with having any creativity because ultimately he didn't even come up with it. He was just doing what he deterministic had no choice but to do. Frodo Baggins and Gollum were determined to be characters in this fantasy billions of years ago. Potentially it was carved in stone at the Big Bang according to hardcore determinism.

Not only that, but the same it true of everything, including the Christian Bible. Every jot and tittle of the Bible would have needed to have been determined by the universe long before humans (who have no free will of their own) would be determined to write it out precisely as we see it today, including all of disagreeing versions.

Same is true of Greek mythology too, of course, and everything else that any human has ever done. Every song, comedy act, you name it. Everything would have needed to be predetermined from the dawn of time.

Question for debate, "Does this make any more sense than solipsism?"

Is it even remotely reasonable to hypothesize that humans have no free will, meaning that everything they do has already been determined ahead of time? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Miles
Savant

Post #71

Post by Miles »

Sorry for this late reply.
instantc wrote:
Miles wrote:And only that, not as fact. We all live under the illusion there is such a thing.
This does not make any sense.

. . . the statement that free will exists as a matter of experience is a fact.
It's a statement asserting a fact, which is quite different from a statement of fact.
instantc wrote:
Miles wrote: No matter what its form, illusion or asserted fact, it is definitely incompatible with determinism.
Untrue, as I showed above.
Must have missed it, just what, or where, is it?
instantc wrote:
Miles wrote:The only common ground they have is that determinism gives form to the illusion.
I have no idea what this means

It means that because everything is determined, illusions are also determined. Determinism gives form to them.

instantc wrote:
Miles wrote:how are you distinguishing "libertarian free will " from "free will"?
Libertarian free will entails that our choices are ultimately free of causal determinants, i.e. they aren't caused by anything, we simply pick what we want. This is not only untrue, it is an incoherent concept. If something is not caused by anything, then it is a random event. This is a true dichotomy.

The only coherent concept of free will that I know of is the one that I explained above.

Taking the "one . . .above" to mean Libertarian free will, then there really is no difference between the two.
instantc wrote:Interesting. Explain to me how the existence of free will, as you see it, would change the way in which "true" blame is assigned and why.
Without free will blame and praise are meaningless. No different than blaming or praising a rock for where it sits. It has no say in its position.
I know that this is what we intuitionally believe. But, once you break it down you realize that "true blame" is an incoherent thought. Everything that we do can be causally explained. The outward and internal circumstances that led to the bad choice existed prior to the choice. Every bad choice can be causally traced back to circumstances that are out of our control. Therefore "true blame" couldn't exist even in theory.

Well we can still assign blame and praise, but it doesn't make any sense, does it.

sevensealscom
Student

Re: No Free Will? Is this a viable philosophy?

Post #72

Post by sevensealscom »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 69 by sevensealscom]

sevensealscom wrote:Well, I looked at evidence written in the Bible and the reality of our world.

The Bible states that there is nothing new under the sun, all that is (exists) has already been (happened) Eccl:1:9,10; 3:15.
Pardon me for asking but, so what? Why do you care what the Bible says?
sevensealscom wrote:I was also contemplating Why would God need a book/Bible? The logical answer I came to after looking at all the biblical evidence is that God's subconscious mind, where the world is being created in a dream, no longer allows God's conscious mind to interact in the dream as in times of old.
Pardon me for asking, but how did you decide that you know God's subconscious mind by reading what the Bible says ?

Because God is human and I am human. Therefore since I also have a subconscious mind, when I dream my subconscious mind creates the whole dream for me cause unfortunately I have no control over my subconscious mind. Even in my dream, if I go into a shop I still have to pay for things cause my subconscious mind made the situation similar to what I'm use to when awake.
sevensealscom wrote:However, if you believe the written prophecies that can only be revealed by one latter day messenger, then you will be saved in this replay when in the previous timeline, every person perished when the meteor's impact opened the super volcano.
Pardon me for asking, but why would I believe what the Bible says is true?
I don't know why you would believe the Bible, but the reason I believe it is that it makes sense to me. Not all the Bible (compilation of scrolls) is God's word. Only where God speaks directly (with a Thus Saith The Lord) is what I consider God's word. The rest is history or written sayings past down from generation to generation.

Miles
Savant

Post #73

Post by Miles »

sevensealscom wrote:
Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 69 by sevensealscom]

sevensealscom wrote:Well, I looked at evidence written in the Bible and the reality of our world.

The Bible states that there is nothing new under the sun, all that is (exists) has already been (happened) Eccl:1:9,10; 3:15.
Pardon me for asking but, so what? Why do you care what the Bible says?
sevensealscom wrote:I was also contemplating Why would God need a book/Bible? The logical answer I came to after looking at all the biblical evidence is that God's subconscious mind, where the world is being created in a dream, no longer allows God's conscious mind to interact in the dream as in times of old.
Pardon me for asking, but how did you decide that you know God's subconscious mind by reading what the Bible says ?

Because God is human and I am human. Therefore since I also have a subconscious mind, when I dream my subconscious mind creates the whole dream for me cause unfortunately I have no control over my subconscious mind. Even in my dream, if I go into a shop I still have to pay for things cause my subconscious mind made the situation similar to what I'm use to when awake.
sevensealscom wrote:However, if you believe the written prophecies that can only be revealed by one latter day messenger, then you will be saved in this replay when in the previous timeline, every person perished when the meteor's impact opened the super volcano.
I don't know why you would believe the Bible, but the reason I believe it is that it makes sense to me. Not all the Bible (compilation of scrolls) is God's word. Only where God speaks directly (with a Thus Saith The Lord) is what I consider God's word. The rest is history or written sayings past down from generation to generation.
Curious as to why only the words of god could not have been concocted or misquoted, whereas the other parts of the Bible could have been. Is there some indicator or clue of this?

sevensealscom
Student

Post #74

Post by sevensealscom »

Curious as to why only the words of god could not have been concocted or misquoted, whereas the other parts of the Bible could have been. Is there some indicator or clue of this?

Lots of false prophets said and wrote things and claimed God/holy spirit told/inspired them when this wasn't the case. It's obvious you believe there is no God or holy spirit, therefore you believe there can be no true prophets. However, I'm answering from the point of view that there is a God. So here we go.

How do we know which part of God's word that speaks with a "Thus Saith The Lord" is really God's word and not made up by a false prophet.

Isaiah says that you can know if someone speaks God's word if they prophesy of the same things that Isaiah wrote.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word (what Isaiah wrote), it is because there is no light in them.

When it comes to written biblical prophecies/predictions pertaining to how the world will end, there is only one way it ends. Therefore, the same theme of how the world ends must be in every true prophet's writings in the Bible that contain a Thus Saith The Lord. The problem has usually been with the interpretation of the biblically written prophecies pertaining to how the world ends. The prophecies were purposely orchestrated so only the latter day living messenger can reveal them, because the prophecies will be fulfilled in the generation of the latter day living messenger.

Daniel 12:8,9 And I (Daniel) heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9) And he (Gabriel) said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end (being the time we are living in because I believe I have unsealed the meanings of prophetic biblical words).

Miles
Savant

Post #75

Post by Miles »

sevensealscom wrote:

Lots of false prophets said and wrote things and claimed God/holy spirit told/inspired them when this wasn't the case. It's obvious you believe there is no God or holy spirit, therefore you believe there can be no true prophets. However, I'm answering from the point of view that there is a God. So here we go.

How do we know which part of God's word that speaks with a "Thus Saith The Lord" is really God's word and not made up by a false prophet.

Isaiah says that you can know if someone speaks God's word if they prophesy of the same things that Isaiah wrote.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word (what Isaiah wrote), it is because there is no light in them.
Depending on the Bible there are considerable variations in the translation of this verse, some with barely any commonality at all. In main however, the gist of it is to trust what is in agreement with the word god rather than trust that which isn't in agreement. Nice I guess, but this is only the opinion of Isaiah, and one that is hardly surprising of a believer. In fact, it would be the expected claim of anyone speaking about their god, regardless of the religion.
When it comes to written biblical prophecies/predictions pertaining to how the world will end, there is only one way it ends. Therefore, the same theme of how the world ends must be in every true prophet's writings in the Bible that contain a Thus Saith The Lord. The problem has usually been with the interpretation of the biblically written prophecies pertaining to how the world ends. The prophecies were purposely orchestrated so only the latter day living messenger can reveal them, because the prophecies will be fulfilled in the generation of the latter day living messenger.
I have no idea how this relates to the veracity of the quoted words of god in the Bible, other than showing that the various prophets were on the same page. Just because the message of a verse is copied correctly over the years only indicates that the message of a verse was handed down correctly over the years.

sevensealscom
Student

Post #76

Post by sevensealscom »

[Replying to post 74 by sevensealscom]
Nice I guess, but this is only the opinion of Isaiah, and one that is hardly surprising of a believer. In fact, it would be the expected claim of anyone speaking about their god, regardless of the religion

According to other scriptures not in the Bible, Isaiah was killed for his opinion about his God by being cut in half as ordered by the leadership of Judah because Isaiah had to give his hard to accept message that God was saying that the nation Judah was rebellious, see Isa.1:1-

Isa.1:1-6
1 The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.

2 Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the Lord hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.

3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.

4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the Lord, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.

5 Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.

6 From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment.

Isaiah was saying that God was saying that the rulers and nation of Judah were likened to Sodom and Gomorrah, see Isa. 1:10-14.
Isa.1:10-14
Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.

11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?

13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

When God sent a living prophet to speak God's word, they had nothing good to say about the nation, leadership, or the people that professed to believe in God and God's former prophets. Among these written admonitions were statements pertaining to what will happen in the end of time. The lives of the true prophets of God were cut short by being pierced through, stoned, bludgeoned, cut asunder, beheaded, crucified for giving the message of God.

The prophets were simple men who farmed or did some sort of craft for a living, until God spoke to them and sent them to the leadership of God's professed people to give God's hard to receive/hear message. Only a small group of people accepted the message of a living prophet at their peril. In the following generations, the new leadership would accept the writings of the dead prophets as being God's word, even though their fore fathers had the prophets and most of their followers rejected, rebuked, chastised and killed.

What I'm getting at is, Why would simple men making a living come out of nowhere and suddenly put their life in peril by telling the king, high priest and priests and their nation that God basically has nothing good to say about them and that God thinks they are all (to paraphrase) full of shit?

Not what you would expect of prophets/people to give a hard to accept message/rebuke who are not really speaking God's word but making it up or think they are hearing God's word. The false prophets are easier to spot, because these people's false message speak good/smooth easy to accept messages about the leadership, nation and people, see 1Kings 19:10; 22:13-28.

1Kings 19:10
And he (Elijah) said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away, see 1Kings 22:13-28

1Kings 22:13-28
13 And the messenger that was gone to call Micaiah spake unto him, saying, Behold now, the words of the (false) prophets declare good unto the king with one mouth: let thy word, I pray thee, be like the word of one of them, and speak that which is good.

14 And Micaiah said, As the Lord liveth, what the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak.

15 So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king.

16 And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the Lord?

17 And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the Lord said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace.

18 And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil?

19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

20 And the Lord said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him.

22 And the Lord said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

23 Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.

24 But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the Lord from me to speak unto thee?

25 And Micaiah said, Behold, thou shalt see in that day, when thou shalt go into an inner chamber to hide thyself.

26 And the king of Israel said, Take Micaiah, and carry him back unto Amon the governor of the city, and to Joash the king's son;

27 And say, Thus saith the king, Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I come in peace.

28 And Micaiah said, If thou return at all in peace, the Lord hath not spoken by me...

Just because the true prophets wrote of future events as instructed by God with a Thus Saith God doesn't mean the prophets, including Jesus, had any idea what the prophecies meant, see Dan.12:8-10.

Dan.12:8-10
And I (Daniel) heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9 And he (Gabriel) said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words (written in the Book of Daniel) are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried (when the latter day living messenger unseals the mysteriously written prophecies relating to how and when the world ends); but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand (since you and many others like you, including Christians, that don't truly understand are here being labeled as wicked); but the wise (being wicked people who become wise by accepting the latter day messenger's message) shall understand.

There is a verse in the Book of revelation that states that only the one latter day living person who has the wisdom to understand can count the number of the beast/kingdom. The beast's number is the number six because it is the sixth kingdom. However the number six is written three times as 666. After counting the number/numeral six(6), the answer is three. The reason is that the number six kingdom in the latter days reigns three separate times as the sixth kingdom, seventh kingdom, and eighth kingdom. But since its the same kingdom, it reigns three separate times as the number six kingdom, and again as the number six kingdom and yet again as the number six kingdom, see Rev.13:18; 17:10,11.

Rev.13:18
Here is wisdom. Let him (latter day messenger) that hath understanding count (count how many numerals) the number (being the number/numeral six) of the beast (union of nations): for it is the number of a man (being the false prophet that represents/personifies the world's leading nation/USA); and his number is Six hundred threescore and six/666 (there are three numbers/numerals of six to count).

Rev.17:10,11
10 And there are seven kings (being kingdoms): five are fallen, and one is (being the number six kingdom/beast), and the other (number seven kingdom) is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.

11 And the beast (kingdom/union of nations) that was (united in agreement to fulfill the USA's vision for the world's future on non-complying nations)), and is not (nations no longer united in agreement), even he is the eighth (number eight kingdom/beast), and is of the seven (of the number seven beast/kingdom), and goeth into perdition (ends up destroyed).

Only those wicked people that see this interpretation as true become wise.

Miles
Savant

Post #77

Post by Miles »

sevensealscom wrote: [Replying to post 74 by sevensealscom]
Nice I guess, but this is only the opinion of Isaiah, and one that is hardly surprising of a believer. In fact, it would be the expected claim of anyone speaking about their god, regardless of the religion

According to other scriptures not in the Bible, Isaiah was killed for his opinion about his God by being cut in half as ordered by the leadership of Judah because Isaiah had to give his hard to accept message that God was saying that the nation Judah was rebellious, see Isa.1:1-..........................................

....................................Only those wicked people that see this interpretation as true become wise.
There's a lot of words in what you say, yet none of them address my question:

So I'll take your lack of answer as confirmation that these words could indeed be concocted or misquoted, and that there is no such indicator or clue, and that you only choose to regard these words of god as true out of personal need.

sevensealscom
Student

Post #78

Post by sevensealscom »

[Replying to post 70 by Blastcat]
One reason: The Bible offers you a future, which is far more than what your being offered by your present belief.

Second reason: Many people have/are experiencing Deja vu, ghosts, poltergeist, supernatural occurencies, mystical happenings, paranormal activity.

Third reason: The several thousand-year-old manuscripts/scrolls that were copied from generation to generation and finally compiled in the Bible mention of many peoples and places that still exist today or have been verified as once existing. Just from an historical point of view, the Bible would be worth believing.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #79

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 73 by Miles]
sevensealscom wrote:Because God is human and I am human.
God is human? Which god is that, then?
sevensealscom wrote:Therefore since I also have a subconscious mind, when I dream my subconscious mind creates the whole dream for me cause unfortunately I have no control over my subconscious mind.
Ok, I don't understand about the "god is human" thing, but moving on here....
sevensealscom wrote:Even in my dream, if I go into a shop I still have to pay for things cause my subconscious mind made the situation similar to what I'm use to when awake.
Well, in some of my dreams I fly and sing the opera, my subconscious made up stuff that wasn't real at all. You might have heard of those kinds of dreams.

I don't see any relation between this answer and my question. Humans have dreams. But we don't know what others are dreaming unless they tell us. I asked you how you could know God's unconscious mind, and you replied that

1) God is human.
2) You dream and god dreams.

Well, this god doesn't seem to be a Christian god, and just because you dream and someone else dreams doesn't mean you know the content of the other person's dreams.

But IF you are stating that it's a FACT that god is a human, I will have to ask you for evidence for this claim , or I will have no choice but to ignore it.

And the part about you having dreams meaning that you know what another person is dreaming is very bizzare thinking on your part. I have trouble taking your ideas very seriously. Do many people take you seriously when you talk like this?

In any case, this is very poor thinking indeed. I don't think you are being serious. If you are... your thinking is extremely poor. I won't be able to debate fairly with you.
sevensealscom wrote:I don't know why you would believe the Bible, but the reason I believe it is that it makes sense to me.
It makes sense to you, but do you think that it is true? The Koran makes sense to many devout Muslims. Does making sense means the Koran is true?

I don't know how something that makes sense has to be automatically true, because some things that do make a lot of sense aren't true. How about detective novels, for example. They make a LOT of sense, once you read the whole book and find out who did it... But that doesn't make any of it TRUE.

Do you care if what the Bible says is true, and how do you know that it is true?
I know some folks who really don't care that what they believe in is true or not. So, I have to ask you.

Some people tell me that they care very MUCH about the truth.
sevensealscom wrote:Not all the Bible (compilation of scrolls) is God's word. Only where God speaks directly (with a Thus Saith The Lord) is what I consider God's word.
Pardon me for asking but:

Just because you consider something is true, doesn't mean that it is true. Others might say that what you consider true is false. How are we to really evaluate what is true, from what is false in the Bible? I know some people don't really care about what is true.

Take a stab at these questions... It might help me take you seriously:

1) Does truth matter to you when it comes to religious matters?
2) Are all of your thoughts about god the product of your imagination?
3) How do you know what's real, if everything is a dream... ?

Cheers.

sevensealscom
Student

Post #80

Post by sevensealscom »

Miles wrote:
sevensealscom wrote: [Replying to post 74 by sevensealscom]

So I'll take your lack of answer as confirmation that these words could indeed be concocted or misquoted, and that there is no such indicator or clue,
You make it sound like a prophet of old could just walk into the local synagogue and take out and start copying sacred scriptures. During the BC (BCE) era, only the priests and elders of the tribe of Levi could handle the sacred scriptures, so it wasn't really possible for prophets to get their hands on sacredly held scriptures of God. In our day, many make claims of God. But in Old testament times, if you said that God told you to say something that blasphemed/contradicted the sacredly held scriptures, that person would be stoned to death. Why would a person claiming to be a prophet concoct a message as being of God just to be killed? Especially when the message has nothing good to say about the leadership, nation, and people of God. So my answer would be No to prophets concocting messages that caused them to be killed. How does a prophet misquote God's word when the prophet was told to write the harsh message of what God had said. Besides the Book of Revelation, the writers of the New Testament part of the Bible aren't writing what God told them. If they were writing what God said to say, they would say that God told me to tell you that such and such. However, the New Testament writers are interpreting what was already written by the prophets that spoke with a Thus Saith The Lord. So, yes these New Testament writers are concocting interpretations and misquoting what the prophecies are saying. The New Testament writers believed that they were living in the last days when the Old Testament prophecies would be fulfilled, see 1Peter 1:20.

1Peter 1:20
Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Even Jesus thought the Old Testament prophecies would be fulfilled in his generation because he thought that his generation was the last generation, see Mat:24:34

Mat.24:34
34 Verily I (Jesus) say unto you (the apostles), This generation shall not pass, till all these things (that Jesus said would happen in Matthew chapter 24) be fulfilled.
and that you only choose to regard these words of god as true out of personal need.

I don't have a personal need to choose to regard the words quoted by the Bible's God. But since you mentioned it, it is more likely that you have a personal need or living a certain life style that causes you to reject any religion, especially the religion that is based on the God of the Bible. That way you can live your life style the way you choose without being bound by a religious belief.