FLASH: RELIGION IS NOT REQUISITE, BUT IS ONLY AN APPENDIX

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Is religion necessary for an individual's good mental health?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 2

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

FLASH: RELIGION IS NOT REQUISITE, BUT IS ONLY AN APPENDIX

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

FLASH :idea: RELIGION IS NOT REQUISITE, BUT IS ONLY AN APPENDIX TO HUMAN’S PSYCHE.

Of the ‘hand-me-downs’ of cultural heritage, religion and politics stand out as familial keepers along with language and biases. Shaking the beliefs of our parents is not a probable thing. If you were born a Catholic and a Democrat and hate Jews, chances are you will remain Catholic and Democrat and hate Jews. Likewise one born in Iran will grow up Moslem and be taught to hate Jews and westerners.

Yes, these individual traits can be altered but not easily. Altering can be accomplished by one of two ways: institutional brainwashing or self-education (accompanied by deductive thinking). Because they are changeable, that is proof that those mental states are not required for the intellectual functioning of an individual. Indeed, they are obstacles to intellectual functioning rather than ‘proper’ ideological guidance.

One can only imagine the obstacles of changing cultural identity, the first – and most important -- is the individual must come to grips with altering -- voluntarily -- one’s own psyche. It might help if the realization is made that the existence of these mental albatrosses are really not necessary at all! :idea:

Deductive and categorical thinking can dissect the subject’s mind’s excess baggage (self-analysis of neuroses comes to mind). This can be facilitated through ‘free association’ like the engineer’s tool of ‘free-body diagram.’ (I am not a psychologist though I think I might have been one in a previous life.) :tongue:

Please enter your vote in my polling question: Is religion necessary for good mental health?
Last edited by 2Dbunk on Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: FLASH: RELIGION IS NOT REQUISITE, BUT IS ONLY AN APPENDI

Post #2

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]

I should qualify my OP with the following. Religion has served our forefathers well, in attaining the Civilization that we enjoy today. Many still find solace and comfort in its nurturing aspect. One might think, being an atheist, that I'm trying to separate religion from an individual's makeup. No, though I once walked in the shoes of a Christian and now walk in a different paradigm, I very much recognize and respect others rights to enjoy what brings them comfort.

I am in a minority in a nation that allows me to voice my opinion -- I very much appreciate and am grateful for that, and this Website for being tolerant allowing me to have my say.

To many, my way of thinking is radical but what drives me to be so argumentative is the other aspect of religion -- "Our way or none at all." "Peace on Earth only if it is done in the way our dogma instructs." That's what lights my fire -- the ongoing internecine bickering culminating in beheadings, diving planes into skyscrapers and conflagrations throughout the Middle East, extending into Europe, Asia and Africa.

Please understand where I'm coming from.

Have yourselves a wonderful and prosperous new year!

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

2Dbunk wrote:
Please enter your vote in my polling question: Is religion necessary for good mental health?
Can't vote because my option isn't listed:

Q. Is religion necessary for an individual's good mental health?

A. For some people, yes. For others, not at all.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 3 by Miles]

Can't vote because my option isn't listed:

Q. Is religion necessary for an individual's good mental health?

A. For some people, yes. For others, not at all.
You are right of course. Mental or intellectual assertions vary from person to person and we come to depend on them.
I was hoping for more discussion/debate, especially from theists, about religion being a necessary component of life (necessary faith in Jesus; necessary faith in Allah -- to the point where people kill over promulgation of their religion).

I understand many people don't want to give it any thought -- and that is annoying to ideologues (including me). I'm ideological about religion being over-emphasized politically. But other ideologues say one's faith isn't emphasized enough in public. But am I really an ideologue when I assert that something need not exist?
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.