When does a cult become a religion???

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

logic
Student

Post #1

Post by logic »

I can remember a few years ago a man named David Koresh leading a group of individuals dubbed as the Branch Dividians into what amounted to nothing more than a mass suicide (don't drink the kool-aid!!!). Koresh, obviously a wacko, claimed to be the son of god and was able to convince many individuals that he was in fact the son of god. After the whole stand-off in waco came to a close, every individual in america knew that the whole lot of individuals involved with the Branch Dividians were nothing more than a crazy cult. My question is: if more people were to believe in the Branch Dividians cause would the status of the group change from cult to legit religion? For instance, Mormonism, which is a fairly new religion and at first was looked upon as a "cult" is now one of the fastest growing religions in the world. Could a group as extreme as the Branch Dividians, given enough support, ever be seen as a legit religion? Is this cross-over a function of support of people or amount of time in existence?

NuclearTBag
Student

The diffrence between a cult and a religion

Post #2

Post by NuclearTBag »

Tax emempt status. When they recieve tax exempt status a cult becomes a religion.
Test your bible knowledge see whacha ya get http://www.ffrf.org/bquiz.html

Yahweh
Student

Re: The diffrence between a cult and a religion

Post #3

Post by Yahweh »

NuclearTBag wrote:Tax emempt status. When they recieve tax exempt status a cult becomes a religion.
When do you determine when a cult should recieve tax exempt status?

Edit: Nevermind, I've found some information here: http://www.ncte.org/groups/affiliates/tax/
Regards,
Yahweh

logic
Student

Post #4

Post by logic »

While i'm not quite sure about the tax laws behind cults and/or religions i am in no position to argue for or against the points which NuclearTBag or Yahweh have argued. However, my original question was more of when a cult becomes an acceptable religion among the people.

In other words, i can imagine a far-fetched "cult" which disgusted every person who was not a follower. However this "cult" one day received tax exempt status therefore becoming a "religion". However, regardless of their legal status as a religion this group would likely not be accepted as religion among the people who are not followers.

So, aside from the legal separation of cult and religion based on tax status, when would a cult become an acceptable religion among the people who are non-believers?

An after thought:
It is every christians belief that Jesus Christ was the son of god. Obviously, through one way or another, millions of individuals over time have believed that this man named Jesus Christ was in fact the son of god. At this point in time, because so many christians exist who believe Jesus Christ to be the son of god, it is nearly impossible to convince many individuals (christians) other wise.
In 1993 America was privy to the mass suicide of a group of individuals called the Branch Dividian. These people were led by a man named David Koresh who claimed to be the son of god and was actually able to convince many individuals that he was actually the son of god.

Question:
Knowing what we know now about the "Wacko from Waco", if he had succeeded in convincing millions of individuals that he was the son of god would we one day treat Koresh like we treat Christ today? It is likely that the people of Christ's time believed him to be a wacko like Koresh. Could it not be that he was in fact Wacko like Koresh that actually succeeded in convincing millions to believe? [/u]
"I would never want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a member"
- Woody Allen

Corvus
Guru

Re: When does a cult become a religion???

Post #5

Post by Corvus »

logic wrote:So, aside from the legal separation of cult and religion based on tax status, when would a cult become an acceptable religion among the people who are non-believers?
I see. You are speaking about "the public", not the government. My thought is, when it becomes acceptable and less crazy. No matter how hard anyone will try to convince me, I will not consider Paganism with the capital P as a religion, and nor would I consider Wicca one. I do not find them any more false than something like mormonism, but I find them a lot less plausible. Since this is the public we are discussing, the point when a cult becomes a religion could occur through a vague amount of popularity. More likely it would be the result of the perception of various newspapers, and good publicity.

Question:
Knowing what we know now about the "Wacko from Waco", if he had succeeded in convincing millions of individuals that he was the son of god would we one day treat Koresh like we treat Christ today? It is likely that the people of Christ's time believed him to be a wacko like Koresh. Could it not be that he was in fact Wacko like Koresh that actually succeeded in convincing millions to believe? [/u]
Jesus didn't convince millions when he was living and he was reputed to have performed miracles, though we are talking of a time when scepticism was not nearly as great as it is now. But if someone like Koresh convinced millions, it would be a religion approved as approved by the public.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Perhaps we should first define what is a "cult".

Dictionary.com:
- A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
- The followers of such a religion or sect.
- A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
- The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

WordNet:
- adherents of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices.

Bookshelf:
- In modern general usage a cult is a religious group that follows a living leader who promotes new and unorthodox doctrines and practices, normally a small fringe group centered around a single charismatic individual who uses unethical forms of persuasion to manipulate followers.
Usually they conduct their operations in secrecy.

Webster's (1913):
- A system of religious belief and worship.

Merriam-Webster:
- formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
- a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
- a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

So, based on these definitions, a cult is a religion.

As to when a cult could become acceptable among the general population, it would depend on the mood and atmosphere of the culture.

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #7

Post by mrmufin »

otseng wrote:So, based on these definitions, a cult is a religion.

As to when a cult could become acceptable among the general population, it would depend on the mood and atmosphere of the culture.
It also depends on perspective: only other folks belong to cults. ;-)

Regards,
mrmufin
Historically, bad science has been corrected by better science, not economists, clergy, or corporate interference.