Are We God's Pets?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Are We God's Pets?

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, I don't have any pets, right now. It would complicate my simple life beyond my capacity to cope. But as a child, we had a dog (Miranda) and a cat (Rufus). And I loved them both. We fed them, and bought them treats, and toys to keep them occupied and exercised.

I can't help wondering though, if God's relationship to us is not all that different to our relationship to pets. We love them, as He loves us; not as equals, but as subordinates to be pandered to and cared for and indulged, to keep them occupied and 'happy'.

If this is right, the cosmic battle between Good and Evil has no significance beyond a situation set up to engage us, like a pet toy, and provide us opportunity to develop virtue and forego vice. It is an amusing passtime, for those who accept the mission against evil, but maybe does not really matter in the long run of things, at all.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Abigail
Student

Re: Are We God's Pets?

Post #61

Post by Abigail »

The Sumerians epic of creation from whence the Genesis account sprang, the human race was created by beings the Sumerians called the Anunnaki.
According to what can be deciphered from the Sumerian Cuneiform tablets, humans were created to serve the Anunnaki as slaves.

The Sumerians would also refer to the Anunnaki as god's.

Are we pets? No. Slaves,yes. And that's ongoing.

Just as in ancient Sumer,the human population were more populace than the Anunnaki, so too are numbered as a larger population than that which occupies and controls our lives as our governor's.
“In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.” *Attributed to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, though this is debated.

Tcg
Savant

Post #62

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to 2ndRateMind in post #1]

If anything, God is our pet. We (at least some of us) are his caretakers. God can't be shown to exist outside human imagination, so it is humans that keep him alive. In fact, human imagination is his only known habitat. Once humans go extinct, God, or rather the idea of God, will go extinct.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #63

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 pm [Replying to 2ndRateMind in post #1]

If anything, God is our pet. We (at least some of us) are his caretakers. God can't be shown to exist outside human imagination, so it is humans that keep him alive. In fact, human imagination is his only known habitat. Once humans go extinct, God, or rather the idea of God, will go extinct.

Tcg
Hi Tcg. Maybe you're looking for God in the wrong place. When I found Him, He was internal, not external, and not the foundation of all knowledge, but the aspiration for it. I would just add that if you decide to seek Him in the places I have indicated, it helps to do so with an open, loving, heart, rather than with cold calculating intellect. Whatever, whether you accept the challenge or not, I wish you all the best with with your search. Never forget though, that all religion is primarily a love affair, and should be treated that way.

And if scripture gets in the way of your love, junk the scripture, not the love.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by Difflugia »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 pmIn fact, human imagination is his only known habitat.
When I found Him, He was internal, not external, and not the foundation of all knowledge, but the aspiration for it.
Are you saying something different than Tcg? I'm not sure you are.
2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 amI would just add that if you decide to seek Him in the places I have indicated, it helps to do so with an open, loving, heart, rather than with cold calculating intellect.
The "cold" recognition that you're looking into a mirror doesn't make the view less beautiful.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #65

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:49 pmIn fact, human imagination is his only known habitat.
When I found Him, He was internal, not external, and not the foundation of all knowledge, but the aspiration for it.
Are you saying something different than Tcg? I'm not sure you are.
Perhaps not. But we certainly have different perspectives. I am a believer, and Tcg is not.
Difflugia wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:09 amI would just add that if you decide to seek Him in the places I have indicated, it helps to do so with an open, loving, heart, rather than with cold calculating intellect.

The "cold" recognition that you're looking into a mirror doesn't make the view less beautiful.
You are lucky, then. My own face is nothing much to write home about, and I certainly don't consider it to be beautiful. Should I decide to lay claim to any beauty at all, it would be the idea that it is inside, and maybe not me at all, but God.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost