How can we possibly have free will?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

How can we possibly have free will?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

How can we possibly have free will? Without omnipotence, it is impossible to have free will. We, biological organisms, are all prisoners of causality. We are all doomed to be conceived without our consent, doomed to do the inevitable, doomed to suffer and doomed to die. If I were truly free, I would have already gone back in time and prevented all suffering and injustice by making everyone equally omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent and omniculpable. Please see: and and https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... p-in-brain Thank you.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: How can we possibly have free will?

Post #101

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

For FIVE (now six) ARGUMENTS FOR FREE WILL (see blog post)

If now God is the First Mover and souls are of God - God's Temple - why shouldn't (the common) souls be "first" movers too?

Thus, speaking for the "anomalous" free will outside "bumping atoms" determinism...

Link, Blogspot, METAPHYSICS, FIVE ARGUMENTS FOR FREE WILL:
https://whatiswritten777.blogspot.com/2 ... 70411#FAFW
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #102

Post by ttruscott »

ThePainefulTruth wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
ThePainefulTruth wrote: We are not free from natural law. Free will means moral free will, the ability to choose to do harm...or not.

And I contend that a free will is a will that is free from coercion or constraint to not be able to choose any of the pertinent and available options. The only decider of which option is chosen is the person himself due to his estimation of what is best for him.
"...what is best for him", and whether that action would violate his rights or not.
Of course!! If he thinks his rights are being violated he can reject the proposal and go his own way (which is free will), taking into consideration OR NOT of any predictions of any blessings he might miss or any consequences he might have to endure...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #103

Post by ttruscott »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 95 by ttruscott]

But would we still have free will? Given that we are still choosing to do this one available option, without coercion or constraint from any other options.
If we choose without coercion or constraint then yes, that is free will. I don't see how this adds adds anything to the conversation, ?...

...because you already stipulated that there is only one choice available (implying constraint whether you know it or not) which is NOT FREE WILL !!! even if our perception is that there is no other choice!
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #104

Post by Bust Nak »

ttruscott wrote: ...because you already stipulated that there is only one choice available (implying constraint whether you know it or not) which is NOT FREE WILL !!! even if our perception is that there is no other choice!
But there are always constraints - as there are always a limited number of choices, granted there are at least two. The point is: FREE WILL as you define it, is impossible.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #105

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

There seems to be a psychological justification for denying a belief in Free Will such that Determinism is the justification for people doing evil.

If they have had no free will in doing evil they are of course innocent which may be a way to deal with one's history of wrongdoing, of doing evil.

Along with it, there may also be the lying for supporting the same "illusion" and lying and evil do of course go well together, no matter how "subliminal".

Again, for free will, some people are indeed planning the number of kids they want.

8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!