How can we possibly have free will?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

How can we possibly have free will?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

How can we possibly have free will? Without omnipotence, it is impossible to have free will. We, biological organisms, are all prisoners of causality. We are all doomed to be conceived without our consent, doomed to do the inevitable, doomed to suffer and doomed to die. If I were truly free, I would have already gone back in time and prevented all suffering and injustice by making everyone equally omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent and omniculpable. Please see: and and https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... p-in-brain Thank you.

marco
Savant

Post #71

Post by marco »

ttruscott wrote:
Yet 1. only sin has been suggested as the enslavement of our free will by our Saviour and 2. after being freed from sin, we still sin, Heb 12:5-11, accruing harsh and painful discipline for our failures to chose righteousness and rewards if we do chose righteousness.
Sin is a verification that we are human, not divinities. It is obviously bad to go around doing foul deeds; as civilised humans we have stopped killing our neighbour and stealing his donkey - at least most of us have.

Exercising free will reponsibly is a mark of a good person. The introduction of some external entity smacking our fingers or even burning us for sinning we can all do without. There is enough to worry about in our world, not least from God-serving terrorists.

Donray
Guru

Post #72

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 70 by Aetixintro]

I asked for real proof. Tell me how much the soul weighs. Surly someone has weighed the soul. Would not be a hard experiment. You only have your mental condition of seeing and hearing things as proof?

Please explain your understanding of how the soul stores memory.

Could you explain why dementia happens since the soul has a copy of all memories and can refresh the brain?

The soul must be made of something or it is nothing and does not exist. What is the soul made of? Where is it located in the body? Does a CAT scan show it?

marco
Savant

Post #73

Post by marco »

Donray wrote:
Tell me how much the soul weighs. Surly someone has weighed the soul.
Well surprisingly a doctor (MacDougal) did attempt to weigh the soul, over 100 years ago, and found it weighed 21 grams.

So there you go. Emperor Hadrian wrote a lovely poem to his soul.

Donray
Guru

Post #74

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 73 by marco]

100 years ago did not have actuate scales. And there should be multiple experiments by both religious and non religious scientists trying to duplicate the results. Where are these current experiments documented?

Also, an experiment must be duplicated to say it is correct.

So, why no current experiments about the soul? Also since you say the soul does weigh something what is it made of? Please explain.

Also since the soul does weigh something we should by now have pictures of it. Do you know of any pictures?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #75

Post by ttruscott »

marco wrote: Exercising free will reponsibly is a mark of a good person.
Yes, and the exercise of a will dominated by evil and addicted to sin has no free will and therefore is not marked as from a good person.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #76

Post by Aetixintro »

Donray wrote:I asked for real proof. Tell me how much the soul weighs. Surly someone has weighed the soul. Would not be a hard experiment. You only have your mental condition of seeing and hearing things as proof?

Please explain your understanding of how the soul stores memory.

Could you explain why dementia happens since the soul has a copy of all memories and can refresh the brain?

The soul must be made of something or it is nothing and does not exist. What is the soul made of? Where is it located in the body? Does a CAT scan show it?
1. I can't tell you how much the soul weighs. A suspicion can be that it's virtually without any mass, much like the nature of photons.
2. I can't give any account of how the soul stores memory. That is entirely a mystery, way beyond me (for now).
3. First, we carry the effects of the status of the brain, no doubt. A shot through the head may kill us, put us in the after-life. But dementia may have something to do entirely, also experiencing some kind of soul-death. I really can't say. The causes for dementia are currently being researched.
4. The soul may be made up of photons or thereof. I don't really know. It's a suspicion. Let's say we remove arms and legs and so on, I happen to think the soul finally is located in the head or with the sum that's finally sustaining the life of the body. No, a CAT-scan does not reveal any location of the soul in the body. Not (f)MRI either, for that matter.

Good? :study: 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Donray
Guru

Post #77

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 76 by Aetixintro]

So, you have absolutely no proof that a soul exists. It is only your hope that there is an afterlife that you think must be a soul. Otherwise no afterlife.

So, you don't know what a soul weighs, you don't know how the soul has memory, you cannot see the soul with any mediacl equipment. Yet you belive in it. Why?

marco
Savant

Post #78

Post by marco »

Donray wrote:

100 years ago did not have actuate scales. And there should be multiple experiments by both religious and non religious scientists trying to duplicate the results. Where are these current experiments documented?

Also, an experiment must be duplicated to say it is correct.

So, why no current experiments about the soul? Also since you say the soul does weigh something what is it made of? Please explain.

Also since the soul does weigh something we should by now have pictures of it. Do you know of any pictures?

These are all interesting follow-up questions. You said: "Surely someone has weighed the soul" and I replied that someone had. I don't believe he did so efficiently but that was not the question. He was, in any case, aware of the need for repetition.

As for your suggestion: Also since the soul does weigh something we should by now have pictures of it - do you imagine we have pictures of EVERYTHING in the universe that has weight?

I have no strong views on whether or not the soul exists but I can see that it might well be the accompaniment of human life. In Catholic theology it has intellect and will. It's nice to suppose we are not all that the scales tell us but as yet we have no means of determining where or how the soul exists.... if it does.

Donray
Guru

Post #79

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 78 by marco]

Yes we have pictures of everything that has weight. We have picture of atoms and everything is made of atoms. Souls if there are any are on Earth to start with. Don't you agree they leave the body and therefore we should be able to picture them leaving the body. Right?

What does having a picture of a soul on earth have to do with having a picture of everything in the universe?

Donray
Guru

Post #80

Post by Donray »

Question: Does one make a choice on there belief in a god and afterlife? If so is that free will or obeying gods will?