Why does man need to create religion?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Why does man need to create religion?

Post #1

Post by Donray »

Both Homo Neanderthal and Homo sapiens demonstrated religious beliefs tens of thousands of years before man created the Jewish religion that Christians and Muslims took over as their own. Why did the homo species feel the need to have religion?

People are Superstitious
People from the beginning of their existence seem to be very superstitious. People feel they need to ware their special underwear to a baseball game for there team to win. They need to talk with gods to get rain or stop bad weather. A religion depends heavily of superstitions.

People are Anthropomorphism
People talk to inanimate object like computer, etc. Have you ever talked out loud “where did I put my keys?� So why not talk to gods or mother earth? What about talking to the weather to ask for rain. Religions support this talking to non-existing things.

Need for Purpose
We seem to have a natural ability to see purposes for things. We want to know what our purpose in life is. Religion can help answer this question. We need to have a purpose for disease and religion answers that question. The Christians blame Eve for starting all the bad things

Belief in Justice
People simply hate to see wrongdoing unpunished and it’s a common factor in religions that there’s a *lot* of punishment going on. So, the invention of heaven and hell in religions.

Hope of Afterlife
The other side of the belief in justice; when someone dies, one of the stages of grieving that people go through is anger—it just seems so wrong, so unfair that someone we love is gone. Who would not like it to be true that we’ll see them again?

It Brings us Together
Humans are social animal and feel the need to be with others. Religion fills the need the need to be like others and be liked by others. Religious belief brings people together—or more precisely, that it allows lots of people to live together without killing each other. Religion gives us a set of common beliefs. One interesting point about the theory is that it doesn’t matter what the religious beliefs are, but it is important that everyone in the community believes the same thing. That may explain some of the bizarre beliefs in religions.

Are there other reason man needed to create religion?

William
Savant

Re: Why does man need to create religion?

Post #11

Post by William »

[Replying to post 10 by Donray]
No imagination is not real.
Yet it exists. Something which is 'not real' (imagination) exists! (and is called something as a result of it existing).
nor is what you belive in leaving your body.
You know this how?
I have a great idea to prove what you are saying. Why don't you vist me since I am in a different realm then you? Say to exactly two hours?
Even if I could do that, I wouldn't.

What I would do is what I am doing. Letting you know exactly the fundamental reason religion evolved, which you left off your list in the OP and asked the question "Are there other reason man needed to create religion? ".

You are free to develop methods in which to investigate for yourself, but you idea of me leaving my body and visiting you would not prove religion therefore developed through people being able to leave their bodies and visit one another.

Specifically it was in individuals leaving their bodies and visiting the Astral Realm which was my argument for why religions developed.

:study:

Donray
Guru

Post #12

Post by Donray »

William wrote: Specifically it was in individuals leaving their bodies and visiting the Astral Realm which was my argument for why religions developed.

Sorry, I will go with a good imagination contributing to man creating religion.
But if you are saying a person visiting the "Astral Realm is a reason you are wrong.

There is no such thing and if you think there is you either have a vivid imagination, on drugs, or have a mental problem.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to post 12 by Donray]
There is no such thing...
Because you have not personally experienced it yourself?

Maybe when you die, that will change your opinion.
There is no such thing and if you think there is you either have a vivid imagination, on drugs, or have a mental problem.
Or there is such a thing, and it has nothing to do with your other options.

Don't knock it until you try it.

marco
Savant

Post #14

Post by marco »

Donray wrote:
William wrote: Specifically it was in individuals leaving their bodies and visiting the Astral Realm which was my argument for why religions developed.

Sorry, I will go with a good imagination contributing to man creating religion.
But if you are saying a person visiting the "Astral Realm is a reason you are wrong.

Moderator Comment

Best avoid forays into psychological analysis on other posters, Donray. Speculating on possible mental problems in others is not part of what the forum wants to do.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Donray
Guru

Post #15

Post by Donray »

William wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Donray]
There is no such thing...
Because you have not personally experienced it yourself?

Maybe when you die, that will change your opinion.
Or there is such a thing, and it has nothing to do with your other options.

Don't knock it until you try it.
Please explin what leave your body? It must be made up of adams so what is it
? Also explin how the memory of this thing leaving the body works. You should have no problem explining either.

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

[Replying to post 15 by Donray]
Please explin what leave your body?
YOU leave you body. Some call it 'The soul' some call it 'the spirit' by whatever it is called, it is YOU. Your individual being.
It must be made up of adams so what is it
?
It is consciousness. Is consciousness 'made up of atoms'? I don't think so. I think it is able to interact with things made up of atoms, but it is not made up of atoms itself.

Also explin how the memory of this thing leaving the body works.
That would be 'the soul' - it is a component of individual consciousness. It is that which contains every moment of an individual's Data of Experience. (DoE) which is the primary component that allows us to experience being an individual.

Donray
Guru

Post #17

Post by Donray »

William wrote: [Replying to post 15 by Donray]
Please explin what leave your body?
YOU leave you body. Some call it 'The soul' some call it 'the spirit' by whatever it is called, it is YOU. Your individual being.
It must be made up of adams so what is it
?
It is consciousness. Is consciousness 'made up of atoms'? I don't think so. I think it is able to interact with things made up of atoms, but it is not made up of atoms itself.

Also explin how the memory of this thing leaving the body works.
That would be 'the soul' - it is a component of individual consciousness. It is that which contains every moment of an individual's Data of Experience. (DoE) which is the primary component that allows us to experience being an individual.
I guess you don't know the answers to my questions. Instead you go on to say something that I did not ask. I figured you had no real answers.

Come on, why don't you have pictures of this soul leaving the body? Also you did not explin how something made up of nothing can contain memory and function similer to the brain.

You have no answeres and only things from nut jobs that also have no answers.

William
Savant

Post #18

Post by William »

[Replying to post 17 by Donray]
You have no answeres and only things from nut jobs that also have no answers.
So, you are not willing to put in the effort to try for yourself?

You want evidence, but nothing you have to personally work at getting, and your excuse for not going there is 'nut jobs'?

Donray
Guru

Post #19

Post by Donray »

[Replying to post 18 by William]

Again no answers to questions I can ask.

You have nothing that comes out of your body and goes to another realm physically So, nothing turns into something in the fantasy realm? .

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to post 19 by Donray]
Again no answers to questions I can ask.
That is not actually true Donray.

Let us focus a bit on what we have been exchanging here.

1: You claimed that religion was the result of various things which you listed in the OP

2: I informed you that something was missing from your list which also had relevance to the evolution of human organised religious beliefs, that being OOBE and Astral Projection.

3: You came back (in post #10) with "I have a great idea to prove what you are saying. Why don't you vist me since I am in a different relm then you? Say to exactly two hours?"

Can you explain to the reader how, if I were to do this, that this would be evidence to the reader that human religion therefore evolved because of Astral Projection?

Thanks.