The true afterlife

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

22zg2293

The true afterlife

Post #1

Post by 22zg2293 »

What happens after death? Is there a heaven and a hell? Is it just nothingness? Or will you be reincarnated? Most people believe wholeheartedly that there is an afterlife. But, what if the afterlife is entirely determined and made up of what you believed afterlife to be while you were still alive. When we die will we live in this dimension what we have created for ourselves? Either being with an eternal being or in eternal damnation? How can we truly know what the afterlife holds for us.

Tcg
Savant

Re: The true afterlife

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Tcg]

Well, I did preface this line of argument with 'For those of us that have faith in God...'
At least now you are honest enough to admit you aren't addressing the question I addressed. We agree that you have faith, not knowledge.

As I stated before, and you have conveniently ignored, the question is about what we can know about the afterlife. The only honest answer is, "nothing." I'm glad to see you agree, but less pleased that you are trying to obscure your agreement.

Oh, and your attempt to get me to support the claims you can't, is most dishonest. You made the claims and it is your job to support them. Claims you are not too surprisingly trying to dodge.

As they say, a little honesty goes along way. For me dishonesty goes much further and will explain why I am leaving you to your faith and reliance on dodges to avoid admitting facts that are inconvenient for the untenable position you are tryin to push.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 11 by Tcg]

I was just providing an alternative point of view to your notion that after death there is pure nothingness. The fact that we may know nothing about the afterlife does not necessarily mean that there is nothing to know, and complete oblivion awaits us all.

I am still interested, by the way, to discover why you might think that justice is not good, or that this life is just? Even if, for some reason best known to yourself, you think it dishonest of me so to enquire.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
22zg2293 wrote: How can we truly know what the afterlife holds for us.
Christians live by faith in what they hear and read about salvation from the enslavement to sin and the legal consequences of sin, not by proof as faith is an unproven hope.
It's nice to see one Christian admitting that they can't know what the afterlife holds. As you clearly admit, " faith is an unproven hope."

Perhaps your admission that Christians have no knowledge of the afterlife will spread. As the old saying states, a little honesty goes a long way. Hopefully that will prove true of yours.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by 2ndRateMind »

22zg2293 wrote:
...As you clearly admit, " faith is an unproven hope..."

...Perhaps your admission that Christians have no knowledge ...
Since Paul's first letter to the Corinthians* Christians have seen faith, hope and love as the three graces on which the religion is grounded amongst believers. And this is through experience, not unproven guesswork. Admittedly that experience, like all individual experience, is subjective.

Nevertheless, when all that have that experience attest to it, and none that have it, deny it, only those that have not the experience, then one is entitled to start thinking that something real is going on, here. Even someone blind since birth, and seeing only darkness, is likely to admit that colour is a real phenomenon, despite the fact that only others have ever experienced it.

Knowledge, in science, particularly the social sciences, is often ascribed a 'degree of confidence'. At what point does information carrying a high degree of confidence become knowledge? At what point does a low degree of confidence indicate that information is not knowledge?

Faith is not just a 'nice' or 'good' or 'congenial' idea: there is very considerable evidence that the Christian faith reflects reality, both in the convergent testimonies and the altruistic activities of Christians. That is; provided one does not simply dismiss it all as a set of misguided personal idiosyncrasies that have persisted down history by accident.

Best wishes, 2RM.

*1 Corinthians 13:13 KJV
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

marco
Savant

Post #15

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Faith is not just a 'nice' or 'good' or 'congenial' idea: there is very considerable evidence that the Christian faith reflects reality, both in the convergent testimonies and the altruistic activities of Christians. That is; provided one does not simply dismiss it all as a set of misguided personal idiosyncrasies that have persisted down history by accident.
I wonder who supplied the evidence - the Inquisition people? A good man takes good from a doctrine and a bad man takes bad. That's maybe why some Muslims kill in God's name. The singer and not the song is important.

Incidentally, your quoted maxim:

Omnes qui errant non pereunt : Not all who wander are lost

probably intends to mean what you say but in fact it says: All who err do not perish. (No sinner perishes - which is a nice idea). If you want it to mean what you translate, then you write:

Non omnes qui errant pereunt.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by 2ndRateMind »

marco wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:
The singer and not the song is important.

Somewhat agreed. I think both are relevant.

Incidentally, your quoted maxim:

Omnes qui errant non pereunt : Not all who wander are lost

probably intends to mean what you say but in fact it says: All who err do not perish. (No sinner perishes - which is a nice idea). If you want it to mean what you translate, then you write:

Non omnes qui errant pereunt.
I agree with you that it would be nice to think no sinner perishes. Or there is no hope for me.

As for the signature, then 'All those who wander are not lost' and 'Not all who wander are lost' have significantly different meanings. I shall amend the signature, accordingly. Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost