Are The Wisest Typically the Quietest?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Are The Wisest Typically the Quietest?

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Not to assume that Quietest implies Wisest, but does quietness come with wisdom? As one becomes all the more wise, do they tend to determine it is not worth the effort and pain of engaging? Obviously some people we might call wise are fairly outspoken, but those are rather few and anecdotal. Are most wise people essentially coerced into silence by the masses of fools?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Re: Are The Wisest Typically the Quietest?

Post #11

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to post 1 by ElCodeMonkey]

I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen. ~ Earnest Hemmingway

If you are not quiet, you can not listen.

I was practicing the art of listening, unrelated to Hemmingway.
The difference between hearing and listening is obvious, to those who would be wise.

I spent about an hour, maybe less, with a person I had never met before. I hardly spoke a word, asked one or two questions. I did listen, carefully.
Just before we parted they said something like 'You're pretty smart. Hope we meet again.' We never did.
Fooled him, I thought, and I did not have to say a word.

Abraham Lincoln is credited, but probably someone else said it first. I first heard it from a fourth grade substitute teacher, Mr. Bertelino.
"It is better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt."

You do not become wise from speaking, but from being quite.
Not speaking is no guarantee you will become wise, but if you speak, you will likely betray your ignorance.

Others recognize wisdom more often from actions, rather than words.