For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

How can we build a better world?

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

I have come across this human being that I would like to support:

What a great man. And he can dance to ;-)

We should remember that we only have him here for a short while. That goes (of course) for everybody. Fortunately we now have the internet, so lets listen to what he has to say:

What would you ask him about?

And just to be clear...I am not saying he knows everything (or is right about everything). But he has a very sharp mind. There is just something great about him. He has change my life for sure. I have not been God´s best child...this is true and my only confession. Were was he when I was 20 years old? Would I have listen to him? I do not know. Of course he was in India. Building himself up. And now I am pointing to him and saying...this is a great man. Greater than Jesus? Well...I just think they could have had a great conversation about things.

Should you invite him to the USA? You sure could use some help over there. What can I do to help you? I am not a great man, so...

Maybe these two could have a great conversation about things (him and...):

Are we using television the wrong way? Were are all the good conversations? Why all this violence and war and shit?

Hmm...is this the right forum?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Wootah wrote: Also: Low regulation

Armed citizens are needed to defend the better world from the ones that would take them away on the justification of building a better world.
Can't honestly see that lax gun laws made the world better for the victims of Colombine, or Sandy Hook, or the many other victims of random mass shootings that occur regularly in the US. But it's your country, and you lot are entitled to foul it up as much as you want. Just don't try to export this poisonous ideology to the rest of us, who love our next generation more than we love semi-automatic assault weapons, legislate accordingly, and consequently have far fewer incidents of random massacres involving innocent school children.

To answer your point directly, defence issues are much better handled by well led, well equipped, professional, trained, responsible, disciplined military and police forces than they are by the general dispersal of military grade weaponry amongst the populace. If you want to be part of the defence effort (and it is an entirely honourable calling), join the army, or the national guard, or the police. If you don't, don't. But don't then kid yourself that buying a gun contributes to that effort, or pretend the purchase is necessary for any other reason than that guns are so easily available to everyone else.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 9 by Wootah]

The only value of arming citizens is to stop other citizens from taking their arms, at least according to your reply.

So, if none were armed, there'd be no need for arms because no one would be trying to take away arms they don't have.

Problem solved.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Wootah]

The only value of arming citizens is to stop other citizens from taking their arms, at least according to your reply.

So, if none were armed, there'd be no need for arms because no one would be trying to take away arms they don't have.

Problem solved.
I think so, too. The gun lobby are fond of quoting their 'second amendment rights'. It might be worth examining this amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Seems to me, the highest good being promoted here is the security of a free State. A well regulated Militia is a secondary good, thought necessary to secure the primary good. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms is a tertiary good, thought necessary to the secondary good, the well regulated militia.

One might well think, then, that if the well regulated militia is no longer found necessary to the security of the state, or if the general right of the people to keep and bear arms (which arguably only exists anyway within the context of joining a well-regulated militia) is no longer found necessary to the militia, or if the general right of the people to keep and bear arms is no longer found necessary to the security of the state, then one can dispense with the militia, and/or the general right of the people to keep and bear arms, accordingly.

So, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

With this observation: for every 1/million people that die each year in gun crime in the UK, which has largely abolished gun ownership amongst the general public, 160/million people die in the US, which hasn't. That's a lot of dead people, each year, just to allow the funding corporations of the NRA to continue to make their profits.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 11 by Tcg]

I find it easier to believe in God than that. Don't you?

Also how would you disarm any of them?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Wootah wrote: Also: Low regulation

Armed citizens are needed to defend the better world from the ones that would take them away on the justification of building a better world.
Can't honestly see that lax gun laws made the world better for the victims of Colombine, or Sandy Hook, or the many other victims of random mass shootings that occur regularly in the US. But it's your country, and you lot are entitled to foul it up as much as you want. Just don't try to export this poisonous ideology to the rest of us, who love our next generation more than we love semi-automatic assault weapons, legislate accordingly, and consequently have far fewer incidents of random massacres involving innocent school children.

To answer your point directly, defence issues are much better handled by well led, well equipped, professional, trained, responsible, disciplined military and police forces than they are by the general dispersal of military grade weaponry amongst the populace. If you want to be part of the defence effort (and it is an entirely honourable calling), join the army, or the national guard, or the police. If you don't, don't. But don't then kid yourself that buying a gun contributes to that effort, or pretend the purchase is necessary for any other reason than that guns are so easily available to everyone else.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Quite the opposite, too many gun laws mean that too many schools are weapons free zones and prime targets for people intent on large scale violence.

I'm not a nationalist so Im not really pro military. Nor am I an idealist and dont believe the military is on my side. Don't kid yourself either.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by ttruscott »

I can think of no better way than Peter's advice about how to speed up Christ's coming:
2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and speeding / hastening the coming of the day of GOD.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to post 15 by ttruscott]

I can interpret that as "Christs coming" meaning the same as everyone - or a large majority of the population at least - as loving one another, and in this, establishing the reality of heaven (as it is in heaven) on earth. Thus, 'the Christ has returned'.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: How can we build a better world?

Post #18

Post by amortalman »

Waterfall wrote:
Let's see. We might start by obeying the Golden Rule. But that doesn't tell us how to get everyone to do it. Come to think about it we can't really get everyone to do anything, can we? Even to eat. Many would declare a fast simply because you wanted them to eat. Actually, there are a great many good ideas on how to build a better world and a great many people laboring to do just that. You ask a very good question. Instead of thinking in terms of politics and mass media maybe each individual needs to make it a personal question. How can "I" help build a better world? The answer just might lead them into politics or television, or it might be so simple as volunteering at a soup kitchen. But certainly, we all can be kinder and less self-centered.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by 2ndRateMind »

amortalman wrote:
Let's see. We might start by obeying the Golden Rule.
That's good. As a supplement, I also think we might consider the legacy we might leave when we die. Most of us, I think, would want to lean to the idea that the world is a somewhat better place for us having been alive. Else our humanity is reduced to the scope of any other animal; in that we are born, breathe, eat, sleep, occasionally procreate, and grow old and die. That doesn't seem to me to be anything to be particularly proud of, whereas some service to humanity as a whole or in part, could well be.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Post #20

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

Waterfall wrote:How can we build a better world?
I think, by far the most important way forward is to stop being so selfish as a culture and, by this stage, entire species. When we want to build more farms we kill anything in our way. While we farm we kill anything that wants to eat our food. In order to make more money we remove natural mating from our livestock and instead rape them for the purpose of insemination. In order to save space and raise production value we torture livestock. We like having pets so we neuter them in order to control their sexual organs and reproductive rights because we can't afford pups. It's just all about us and we are destroying anything that gets in our way.

Maybe if we employed kindness and the golden rule universally instead of just to some other humans we might be heading in a good direction because we certainly aren't now and haven't been for about 15,000 years.
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.