For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Waterfall
Scholar

How can we build a better world?

Post #1

Post by Waterfall »

I have come across this human being that I would like to support:

What a great man. And he can dance to ;-)

We should remember that we only have him here for a short while. That goes (of course) for everybody. Fortunately we now have the internet, so lets listen to what he has to say:

What would you ask him about?

And just to be clear...I am not saying he knows everything (or is right about everything). But he has a very sharp mind. There is just something great about him. He has change my life for sure. I have not been God´s best child...this is true and my only confession. Were was he when I was 20 years old? Would I have listen to him? I do not know. Of course he was in India. Building himself up. And now I am pointing to him and saying...this is a great man. Greater than Jesus? Well...I just think they could have had a great conversation about things.

Should you invite him to the USA? You sure could use some help over there. What can I do to help you? I am not a great man, so...

Maybe these two could have a great conversation about things (him and...):

Are we using television the wrong way? Were are all the good conversations? Why all this violence and war and shit?

Hmm...is this the right forum?

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: How can we build a better world?

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Waterfall wrote: How can we build a better world?
I think a better world will come naturally if we focus on education, kindness, and rational logical communication. If people understand how to communicate kindly and rationally while desiring truth over their own beliefs, then we will see and construct better solutions. For now, people pick a side and defend it until they die, calling names to all who disagree, and never truly seeking truth in a matter. Fix that at a young age and the rest will come. The world is already steadily improving, but this would help speed it along.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Waterfall wrote:
I honestly can't imagine a better prescription than Jesus' two commandments: 'Love God', and 'Love each other'.

So far as God goes, given that He is infinite in Goodness, Justice, Kindness, Mercy, Righteousness, etc, loving such absolutes necessarily involves loving God, whether one acknowledges His existence or not.

And loving each other should be self-explanatory. We start with loving our families, and then our friends, and then our colleagues, and then, eventually and critically, everyone, including our enemies. These concentric circles of expanding love may give rise to certain moral conundrums, but contemplating them is good for our spiritual and ethical development. eg., should I employ my son as vice-president, or some other, better qualified, candidate? Should I leave all my wealth to my family, or to the poor? Should I exploit the world for money now, or conserve it for future generations?

I don't care very much whether one considers oneself as Christian or pagan, Jew or gentile, Muslim or kafir. The main thing that matters, it seems to me, are these two loves, and however one justifies them to oneself is of only secondary importance.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Waterfall]

Laws.

Individualism.

Free trade.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Waterfall »

Thank you ECM and 2RM.

I hope others will contribute to this thread also.

But maybe everything has been said?

There are those who think we all should become vegetarians:

I like music and the Hare Krishna movement :D

But I also like a steak, so...? Is there anything wrong with that? I have no problem becoming an vegetarian...its great food to me, so...? What are your thoghts about this killing business?

If you could put a panel of people together who would it consist of?

There are many great people out there:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

Waterfall wrote: Why all this violence and war and shit?
:warning: Moderator Warning

Profanities are not allowed (this includes words that are abbreviated or coded).

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Waterfall »

I will not challenge the moderator or reply. But I would like to change the word to stupidity. Its a better word and do not violate the rules. If it does I will change it to ignorence. That might be the right word anyway. Hmm...I should have known better with that word...why did I just let it slip by? Stupidity or ignorence or something else? I most remember to follow the rules. They are there for a purpose. I have not read the "manuel" so...maybe its time that I does. And just for the record...I knew the word could be a problem...but still...I thought it was okay to use it in that context. Or in that way. I am trying to understand things. Why this? Why that? I will read the intru and rules now.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Waterfall wrote: I will not challenge the moderator or reply. But I would like to change the word to stupidity. Its a better word and do not violate the rules. If it does I will change it to ignorence. That might be the right word anyway. Hmm...I should have known better with that word...why did I just let it slip by? Stupidity or ignorence or something else? I most remember to follow the rules. They are there for a purpose. I have not read the "manuel" so...maybe its time that I does. And just for the record...I knew the word could be a problem...but still...I thought it was okay to use it in that context. Or in that way. I am trying to understand things. Why this? Why that? I will read the intru and rules now.
That's a pretty good reply and desire to be civil. However I'd still challenge you on what other word you might use instead of stupidity. I've found being civil forces me to think about what i mean. Also reading the rules will make you a very rare person. There should be a group to join for reading the rules (now im worried there might already be one...).

In no particular order for a better world:

Following Jesus

Law

Free trade

Free speech

Armed citizenry

Small government

Individual rights over group rights (subset of law though)

Cleaning your room
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Waterfall »

Wootah wrote: That's a pretty good reply and desire to be civil. However I'd still challenge you on what other word you might use instead of stupidity. I've found being civil forces me to think about what i mean. Also reading the rules will make you a very rare person. There should be a group to join for reading the rules (now im worried there might already be one...).
Thank you Wootah :-) I just wanted it down on paper and think about it.

What did I mean?

Are we using television the wrong way? Where are all the good conversations? Why all this violence and war and...???

I am not sure what to put in. I could put stupidity in there. But what about ignorence? Maybe a mix? Or something else? My little head is spinning around.

With regard to the intro and rules then I am glad that I have read it now (cant remember if I have done it before...if so...I have forgotten about it). It is a very good intro and the rules are...well...rules to be followed. I have no problem with the rules. They are there for a purpose. And I am sure there have gone a lot of thinking into this forum. But how did it come about? Is there a story behind it...

I come from this danish forum:
Welcome to believesfreedom.dk. You are very, very welcome to take part in the debate yourself. You can do it completely anonymously, and you can also, if you like, register as a user. This is also anonymously. Almost all Internet debates are dominated by opinion censorship and/or topic censorship. There are things one do not want said and topic one do not want treated. This is not how it is here. Just write "straight out of the bag", what's on your heart. It does not have to be fine formulated, as long as it is understandable. Other debaters have experienced that simply writing about a topic may lead to further development of own opinions - it can often feel rewarding.
I quess they were tired of some things.

There are of cource rules here to.

But "back" to the topic:
Wootah wrote:In no particular order for a better world:

Following Jesus

Law

Free trade

Free speech

Armed citizenry

Small government

Individual rights over group rights (subset of law though)

Cleaning your room
Thank you for contribution to the thread. I am not an american (you are?) and do not understand this "Armed citizenry"? I would get rid of those guns. Let people play with guns in a safe environment. Not out on the street. Just my opinion.

If you could put a panel of people together who would it consist of?

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

Also: Low regulation

Armed citizens are needed to defend the better world from the ones that would take them away on the justification of building a better world.