For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Can we have mercy without justice?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Can we have mercy without justice?

To be able to show mercy to someone there has to be a law that they are violating that we are forgiving them from right?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Can we have mercy without justice?

Post #11

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 5 by marco]

Sounds like semantics to me, what is the difference between "he deserve 3 years in prison" and "after weighing all factors, 3 years in prison is appropriate?"

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 5 by marco]

Sounds like semantics to me, what is the difference between "he deserve 3 years in prison" and "after weighing all factors, 3 years in prison is appropriate?"

I can see no difference and I didn't impose one. I said mercy, rather than punishment, might be the course of action that satisfies justice.

Discussions about abstract qualities tend to be about semantics, Bust Nak. Our interpretation of what justice and mercy mean will influence our responses.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

marco wrote:
Wootah wrote:

If I understand you then you are taking this to the next level.
The next level is: Mercy is unjust.

But for mercy to exist there must be a law to be merciful about.

Well I don't believe mercy is unjust: I think the opposite. People may act as if they are being merciful when they do more harm than good. It is best to label an act for what it is. Mercy, I think, is always something virtuous.

I don't understand the why mercy requires some law. I suspect you mean that behind all acts of kindness there is a guiding hand, else a person would never have been kind. That would suggest there's a guiding hand behind all wicked acts as well. I think civilised people act in a way that makes life workable for everyone.
I think if you come up with an example then you will see why mercy requires a law. I have no idea what guiding hands has to do with the topic.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

marco
Savant

Post #14

Post by marco »

Wootah wrote:

But for mercy to exist there must be a law to be merciful about.
I think if you come up with an example then you will see why mercy requires a law. I have no idea what guiding hands has to do with the topic.

Well I don't see. I assumed you meant God provides a moral code, a set of rules that people are born with. Other than that I have no idea what "law" has to do with the topic. If the father in the parable shows mercy towards his prodigal son, there's no law involved; just fatherly love.

Would you criticise the tale as being an example where Jesus advocated something unjust?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #15

Post by Bust Nak »

marco wrote: Discussions about abstract qualities tend to be about semantics, Bust Nak. Our interpretation of what justice and mercy mean will influence our responses.
Sure, but I brought up semantics only because I was under the impression that you were suggesting there was a difference between "he deserve 3 years in prison" and "after weighing all factors, 3 years in prison is appropriate.