Inversion: who should i fear more - the strong or the weak?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Inversion: who should i fear more - the strong or the we

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

I feel like this needs a lot more detail. Why would anyone fear the weak unless one is assuming other attributes? The weakest of all people are quadrapalegics. Not sure you need to fear them as much as any other mobile person. Sure, there might be one who has a host of mobsters doing their bidding or something, but if we're talking averages, I'd definitely say the strong are more to be feared for physical harm in arguments, though the weak might be more fearful in armed arguments. Or perhaps there's a correlation with weak people being bosses in which case weak people are more likely to fire you. So... I dunno, fear in what way and in what circumstances? And do you really mean to compare with the weak and not with the intelligent or some other assumed characteristic?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by ElCodeMonkey]

It's almost synchronous how there is a movie called "Glass" out.

A strong person will confront you and generally be more open and honest, If you do X I will have to do Y.

But a weak person has to act in darkness, if they want to attack you it has to be from behind, without warning or else they will fail.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by ElCodeMonkey]

It's almost synchronous how there is a movie called "Glass" out.

A strong person will confront you and generally be more open and honest, If you do X I will have to do Y.

But a weak person has to act in darkness, if they want to attack you it has to be from behind, without warning or else they will fail.
I'm not sure what "strong and weak" would mean in this context.

If we are talking about strong or weak character, then both of the people you have just described are equally weak in character. Blatantly bullying people or ordering them around at gunpoint does not make a person "strong". Although it might make them powerful if they have a powerful weapon aimed at you.

But then again, the coward who sneaks up on you and attacks you with an equally powerful weapon is just as powerful. Does that then make then "strong"?

If you are talking about strong and weak character, then I suggest that both the open bully and the cowardly attacker have equally weak character. And if they are both armed with an AK-47 they are both wielding equal 'power'. But in both cases it's cowardly power. Take the weapon away from them and they both become equally powerless and equally weak.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by amortalman »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by ElCodeMonkey]

Some interesting observations that I have to agree with. But I don't think your original question can be answered in black and white. It all depends on the specific situation and in the ways in which your enemy is strong or weak. Certainly, a direct physical confrontation with a physically powerful enemy poses more danger.

Generally, I would rather deal with a strong person than a weak one. The one who curses you and runs away will leave you vulnerable to whatever evil he might plan against you or your loved ones. But it's a worthy debate question.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

Just as the strong have more power to do good than the weak, they also have more power to do evil. But my observation of the way the world works is that the strong tend to act after their own best interests, and disregard the best interests of the weak. I do not regard this as a morally legitimate position, despite the political propaganda promoting it. So, my perspective is that the strong should be feared, not emulated.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost