Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Sacrifice and free will

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

How do we know an object has free will?

One way is to observe it and it's choices. But if you observe the object doing the same thing over and over again it doesn't seem to have free will.

But if you observe the object sacrificing, giving up something in the hope for something better, is that not a good indication of free will?

Eg: If I eat food all the time then I am probably a slave to food and not able to display free will in this area. But if I can demonstrate that I don't need to eat all the time and can choose what to eat and more importantly not eat - doesnt that display free will?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #21

Post by Gracchus »

People always try to do what they want to do. If they want more than one thing they choose what they want most. So, in a sense, they have a choice. But they can't choose what they want most. That is determined by history and chemistry.
For instance, many people want to believe that they have "free will". They have to believe it so they can feel in control.
I choose not to believe in "free will" because I prefer to see the world as it is. Others prefer otherwise. They have to so that they can pretend moral superiority to others.
In short: Some people have to believe in "free will". Others choose not to believe it.

:study:

Menotu
Sage

Re: Sacrifice and free will

Post #22

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

How do we know an object has free will?

Prove choices made have no/zero influence from any other outside intelligence that has the ability to control time, life and space.
Simple answer, not such a simple proof to make happen.