Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Is this a form of gaslighting?

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Last edited by Wootah on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Donray
Guru

Post #41

Post by Donray »

Gaslighting is what Christens use to discredit science including the fact that evolution is true and that life stated with single cells and evolved into humans and all other life. .

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #42

Post by 2Dbunk »

Wootah wrote: A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Is this a form of gaslighting?

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
As a fellow human being and one who has escaped the clutches of religion (in my case Christianity), I find your OP offensive. You are suggesting that non-theists like me, who wrestled for years, maybe decades, with questioning their faith, trying to find the Truth in this deity p___ing contest, have developed their opinions (weighing all the facts available to finally breakout into the clear sunshine) -- because we were susceptible to gaslighting? Please go back under your rock and give it a good think again!

It has been my life's study to grasp the reality of all things -- for is not my life at stake here? I have been shunned by many friends and acquaintances because of my present stance -- I did this because I was sucked in through gaslighting? I don't think so! If anything, you might be guilty of falling under that influence.

Had the Christian church (and The Christ) not DEMANDED my allegiance or suffer "eternal torture," I might not have questioned my faith at all just like most Christians don't really do." But I learned early on that threats are made by bullies -- and that lit my fire!

SEMPER FI
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.