Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Is this a form of gaslighting?

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Last edited by Wootah on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

mgb
Guru

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #2

Post by mgb »

Wootah wrote: A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

It is nonsense to say humans are insignificant just because we are a tiny part of the universe. Most of the universe is a desert. Biological life on this planet is way in advance of anything we have discovered. I once heard someone say humanity is a thin layer of 'scum' on the surface of the earth. This is misanthropy and degrading.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

Wootah wrote: A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.
Insignificant with respect to what? :-k

Don't religions preach to their flocks that they insignificant in comparison with their gods?

Religions certainly don't imply that humans are significant. Especially not the Abrahamic religions. To think that you are significant in Christianity, for example, would be considered to be committing the sin of pride.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

mgb
Guru

Post #4

Post by mgb »

Psalm 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

jgh7

Post #5

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

What exactly is gaslighting? Is it an attempt to influence someone's perspective on life?

In that case, the only thing that could be seen as solely having intent to gaslight from your OP is the word "insignificant". You could take out insignificant and the statement could be interpreted as a neutral scientific statement. Inserting "insignificant" changes the statement to now be philosophical.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #6

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Is this a form of gaslighting?
Yes, it's designed to get people to doubt evolution. a) it is an appeal to consequence/emotion. b) evolution does not say anything about the significance of atoms.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]
A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Yes, in relation to your premise.

Ask yourself this Q Wootah.

Q: Are atoms insignificant?

Depending on your answer (which the way you wrote the OP implies to the reader that your answer would likely be 'yes') in relation to the ideas taught of evolution, Q: what is found here?

A: That it simply depends upon the beliefs that such teaching might produce in individuals.

I can see both the significance of the atom, and the human being and in biological life forms and the Earth Herself, and in that, the beliefs shaped through the filters of my understanding and subsequent appreciation of that significance.

The biblical idea of GOD is oft 'quoted' as proclaiming the insignificance of human beings' but usually in context with basic human pride and accompanying folly in relation to human/human behaviors.

Alongside that, is the same GOD 'quoted' as proclaiming [his] eternal love for the faithful - those who see the significance of the physical universe and everything about it.

Others might [and do] argue that the very existence of [human] consciousness within such a universe is a type of gaslighting which is effective on 'the faithful' like unto The Stockholm Syndrome

[yt]Xd8KPzJP0_U[/yt]

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

jgh7 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

What exactly is gaslighting? Is it an attempt to influence someone's perspective on life?

In that case, the only thing that could be seen as solely having intent to gaslight from your OP is the word "insignificant". You could take out insignificant and the statement could be interpreted as a neutral scientific statement. Inserting "insignificant" changes the statement to now be philosophical.
I'll update the first post with a definition of gaslighting.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Put another way, I don't see anyone in this thread arguing No. I do see people not liking the implication. Therefore I will attempt to rebut myself and I would like people's opinions. If you think this is a good rebuttal don't forget to give a MPG donation.

OK here I go:

Evolution is basically telling each person alive today that their ancestors conquered not just for a day or a week but for billions of years if you are alive your generations ate and killed and destroyed the rest. To be here means your genes are good and you are a success. Evolution is the opposite of gaslighting.

Also when you think about it gaslighting is evolution. If you can break someone mentally then how isn't that a distinct advantage for you in life in terms of access to resources. Suppose you don't have the resources to get a mate, through the process of gaslighting you could win a potential mate.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Evolution is basically telling each person alive today that their ancestors conquered not just for a day or a week but for billions of years if you are alive your generations ate and killed and destroyed the rest.

This doesn't match my understanding of evolution.

If this part of your description of evolution where accurate - "your generations ate and killed and destroyed the rest." - then humans would be the only species of animal left. This quite obviously isn't the case.

You'll need to develop a much better description of evolution before we can evaluate your proposed connection between it and gaslighting. Unless this faulty description is your attempt to provide an example of gaslighting.

Sorry, no MPG from me in either case.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom