Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Is this a form of gaslighting?

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Last edited by Wootah on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #21

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 17 by Kenisaw]

But you are significant Kenislaw. God valued you so much He died for you. Dont let evolution gas light you. At leaat compare the stories.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Kenisaw]

God valued you so much He died for you.

God is dead?

You agree with Nietzsche?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

FWI
Sage

Post #23

Post by FWI »

Tcg wrote:God is dead?

No, God is not dead and He "never" died! God is immortal and always has been. God does not exist as celestial and human beings exist. Thus, the Christ was not and is not God…However, the Christ did die, but was resurrected to an immortal existence by God and was given authority to bring about God's Kingdom upon this planet, in its due time.
Tcg wrote:You agree with Nietzsche?

Nietzsche was plagued by health issues his entire life and died at the early age of 44. This type of situation and others like it, frequently develops into an anti-God mindset. In addressing morals, with the religious apologist, Nietzsche agreed with the premise that: You can't have morality without religion! Then, he stated: So, let's have neither…I (Nietzsche) don't want your religion and if I can't have morality with it either, great.

So, it is clear that health issues affected Nietzsche's mindset and when related to religious issues, he can't be taken seriously…

Tcg
Savant

Post #24

Post by Tcg »

FWI wrote:
Tcg wrote:God is dead?

No, God is not dead and He "never" died!

You'll need to take this up with Wootah. Wootah claimed that God died.

I'd never make that statement. A God would have to exist before it could die and there is no reason to conclude such a thing ever existed, therefore no reason to conclude it died.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #25

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 24 by Tcg]

I've not read Nietzsche. It seems off topic. The secondary sources i read suggest his views are more nuanced than we were led to believe. Jordan Peterson refers to Nietzsche a lot and correctly points out the Nietzsche predicted the atheistic blood bath of the 20th century.

Tcg
Savant

Post #26

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 24 by Tcg]

I've not read Nietzsche. It seems off topic. The secondary sources i read suggest his views are more nuanced than we were led to believe. Jordan Peterson refers to Nietzsche a lot and correctly points out the Nietzsche predicted the atheistic blood bath of the 20th century.

You must have missed the crux of my post. It included this question, "God is dead?"

You claimed God died. The only logical conclusion based on that claim is that God is dead. You've reached the same conclusion Nietzsche did.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #27

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg]

You nay have missed the crux of my reply - it's off topic.

Tcg
Savant

Post #28

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

You nay have missed the crux of my reply - it's off topic.

If that's the case, then you'd have to agree that this statement of yours from post 21 is off topic:

Given that you are the creator of this thread, I assumed it must be on topic to discuss your assertion. According to your latest edict, we were both wrong.

I'm familiar with the term "mea culpa", in this case I guess "wea culpa" would apply.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 28 by Tcg]

I am clearly demonstrating the contrast in belief systems. You are valued in one system and insignificant in another.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 29 by Wootah]

Actually, I addressed the following claim you made:

If this is true, then God is dead. What value does a dead god add?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom