Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

Is this a form of gaslighting?

gaslighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Last edited by Wootah on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 30 by Tcg]

I dont think it is unreasonable for me to expect people wanting to debate Christianity to know something about the faith. Anyway, clearly I like you because I respond, but this conversation is over.

If your question is genuine then you should use the forum to ask how God can be dead but alive in Christianity and learn about the dual nature of Christ (hypostatic union).
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Tcg]

I dont think it is unreasonable for me to expect people wanting to debate Christianity to know something about the faith.

I know a great deal about Christianity. I didn't ask about Christianity in general, but your claim specifically.

If your question is genuine then you should use the forum to ask how God can be dead but alive in Christianity and learn about the dual nature of Christ (hypostatic union).

It is genuine. Given that you made the claim here in this thread, I am asking you to explain it here in this thread.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

FWI
Sage

Post #33

Post by FWI »

Tcg wrote:God is dead
FWI wrote:No, God is not dead and He "never" died! God is immortal and always has been. God does not exist as celestial and human beings exist. Thus, the Christ was not and is not God…However, the Christ did die, but was resurrected to an immortal existence by God and was given authority to bring about God's Kingdom upon this planet, in its due time.

Tcg wrote:You'll need to take this up with Wootah. Wootah claimed that God died.

This is true, but Wootah didn't claim that God is dead! You did…So, "gaslighting" is alive and well in your comments. It seems that you are trying to ignore the fact that Wootah believes in the resurrection of the Christ, which nullifies the fact that he died. Hence, he is not dead. He continued to exist 3-days after he died…

The problem with your approach and the included spin/gaslighting is that Christians don't believe that when they die, it is the end of existence. Yet, this is what you are trying to imply…Thus, you are trying to include your beliefs into the equation, which are contrary to the beliefs of Wootah. This again, is a type of gaslighting!

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

FWI wrote:

This is true, but Wootah didn't claim that God is dead!

There is no other option. Wootah claimed that God died. If a thing dies, it is dead. There is no getting better from having died.

Only victims of gaslighting would see it any other way.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 30 by Tcg]

I dont think it is unreasonable for me to expect people wanting to debate Christianity to know something about the faith.

You are making the mistake of assuming that disagreement with Christianity is the result of not knowing about Christianity. In my case, my disagreement with Christianity is the result of knowing a great deal about it, from the inside.

I was a Christian for 40 years, 8 of those years were spent in Christian higher education. I was a youth pastor, Bible teacher, and Christian counselor during and after attaining both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree. So you can rest assured that I know something about the faith. And yes, I was indeed a real Christian.

Thankfully, I recovered from that level of gaslighting. It wasn't easy, but I am living proof that it can be done. Many have preceded me in doing so, and many will follow. Progress is occurring!

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

FWI
Sage

Post #36

Post by FWI »

Tcg wrote:There is no other option. Wootah claimed that God died. If a thing dies, it is dead. There is no getting better from having died.

There are "always" other options. This is continually shown by the anti-God groups. Even, the pro-God groups can be guilty of this sidestepping. However, your "opinion" that when something dies, it then ceases to exist for eternity is unfounded and cannot be proven…You have even suggested (elsewhere) that life is indefinite.
FWI wrote:Since, most scientist estimates that life has existed anywhere from 3.5-4.1 billions of years, you would think that this is plenty of time for life (through mutations) to figure-out how to survive indefinitely.
Tcg wrote:Well, 3.5 - 4.1 billion years is a pretty good indefinitely.
So, it seems that your opinion changes, related to how and by whom, the subject matter is introduced. If, by the secular community, then life is indefinite. If, by the religious, then life ends when it dies…Quite an unusual position to take or is it more common than is thought…This type of position is a very good reason why we have the term: gaslighting.

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 36 by FWI]

As I've already stated. You'll need to discuss your concerns with Wootah.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Three-buddy Problem

Post #38

Post by The Three-buddy Problem »

First of all, this is committing the fallacy of begging the question. ''Evolution is wrong'' is a premise which led to your conclusion that ''evolution is gaslighting''.

I can use your line of reasoning and argue that Christianity, instead evolution, is gaslighting by claiming that we're insignificant compared to god.

And finally, I don't think you should be bothered by the fact that we're insignificant atoms. EVERYTHING in the universe is insignificant atoms...do you think that humans are more significant than the entire universe?

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #39

Post by Tiberius47 »

Wootah wrote: A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

gaslighting

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.
Christianity teaches that we are all sinners who deserve eternal punishment, and that we are born sinners so we don't even get a chance to avoid it.

I'd say that's far worse.

help3434
Guru

Re: Is evolution 'gaslighting'?

Post #40

Post by help3434 »

Wootah wrote: A lot of people are told the truth from an evolutionary perspective that they are insignificant atoms.

gaslighting

Are you and other Christians claiming to have memories of life on earth being created a few thousands years ago? Are biologists lying and victimizing people? This is all very silly. Dispelling myths and delusions of grandeur is not "gaslighting".