Isn't beseeching God or gods a form of self-service?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Isn't beseeching God or gods a form of self-service?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Prayer usually takes the form of asking for personal help. And prayers are offered to those in need of help, so long as it isn't the enemy or some foreign entity that worships a "false" god.

In wars between two Christian factions (7-years, Civil, WW-I , WW-II, etc.) both sides prayed for the same God to see it their way. Nuns prayed for a certain NFL or college team to win; children are taught to pray for their parents and close relatives (so as to continue and insure their security).

Questions for debate: Are all prayers answered as some theists claim? What about between two factions as mentioned above? What about prayers offered by both sides in another war between Islam and Christianity?

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

"No" is still an answer. I imagine that no Christian believes that all prayers are answered with a "Yes". That is super easy enough to prove. That ends up answering all your questions since clearly some are told no and others yes. So no conflict even between opposing teams.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:

I imagine that no Christian believes that all prayers are answered with a "Yes".

I would have thought that as well had I not entered into a discussion with a poster on the now defunct Amazon Religion forum. At least as far is her prayers were concerned, she believed that they all were answered positively every time she prayed.

It sounds extraordinary at first, but when you examine some of Jesus' claims in the gospels, her conclusion made perfect sense if ones beliefs are based on the promises the Bible makes.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 2 by ElCodeMonkey]

Excuse me for not prioritizing my title-question of the OP. Is not most praying beseeching a deity to give special favor to the one praying -- a rather selfish demand that may take up God's time when he should be unraveling more important problems at other places -- HE should know that many significant problems DO exist any many more prayers are directed to those problems without serious effect.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Isn't beseeching God or gods a form of self-service?

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2Dbunk wrote:

Questions for debate: Are all prayers answered as some theists claim?

No I don't believe God even listens to the prayers of people he hates; biblically he just blanks them.
They don't exist as far as He's concerned, so He certainly doesn't listen to or answer their prayers.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
2Dbunk wrote:

Questions for debate: Are all prayers answered as some theists claim?

No I don't believe God even listens to the prayers of people he hates; biblically he just blanks them.
They don't exist as far as He's concerned, so He certainly doesn't listen to or answer their prayers.
That's a really sad view to take of Jesus' loving, redeeming Father of all mankind. I'm not at all sure that it is consistent with mainstream Christianity, either.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2ndRateMind »

2Dbunk wrote: Prayer usually takes the form of asking for personal help. And prayers are offered to those in need of help...
It's somewhat trite to say, as I have heard from some of my transatlantic friends, that all prayers are answered, but sometimes the answer is 'No!'

Seems to me there are selfish prayers ('Please God, let me win the lottery' - 'Do me a favour; meet me halfway; at least buy a ticket!')

And there are unselfish prayers ('Please God, end human hunger, malnutrition and starvation!' - 'Do me favour; meet me halfway; at least commit some cash yourself!')

And there are semi-selfish prayers ('God bless mummy and daddy!' - 'Do me a favour; meet me halfway; try to be that blessing yourself!')

So, I don't pray all that much, these days. But when I do, it is with the expectation that the onus will be on me to make the improvement in the world I request, and that I simply need the moral fibre and character strength to do it. And to ask for these, whether for myself or for others in this vale of tears, is not, I think, an inappropriate use of prayer.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 5 by JehovahsWitness]
Questions for debate: Are all prayers answered as some theists claim? What about between two factions as mentioned above? What about prayers offered by both sides in another war between Islam and Christianity?
Okay, the first of the above two questions has been debated with a clear consensus that God doesn't answer all prayers, though the Bible claims otherwise.

But what about the second question? There is presently mounting animosity between Islam and Christianity -- who's side do you think God is on (they both beseech the same God)?
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

FWI
Sage

Post #9

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 1 by 2Dbunk]
2Dbunk wrote:Are all prayers answered as some theists claim?

No, they are not (at the least, not by the True God)…However, from a technical point of view, they surely can be. The bible tells us that Satan (a god) is the ruler of this world and has the power to give gifts or answer certain prayers, related to wealth, power and influence (Matthew 4:8-9). Yet, with a catch…

So, excluding the power given to Satan, there are limits and conditions, related to the answering of prayers, by God and/or His Son. For instance: If, you don't believe that God exists, you probably are wasting your time!

When, it comes to wars, it is God's will that prevails. Hence, prayers for victory in such conflicts doesn't determine the outcome. It was God's will that the Israelites would succeed in certain wars and in others they wouldn't. We can also review the two world wars of the 20th century, which clearly shows that God's will was in play and that "will" affected the final results. Yet, the bible also requires true believers to pray for their enemies, bless those who curse us, do well to those who hate us and pray for those who spitefully use and persecute us. Why? So, that God or His Son would possibly intervene to change the situation…

Therefore, the misuse of prayers are rampant and results in those prayers becoming unanswered or being answered by a source that we don't want to be trapped by. So, understanding the truth about praying to God and His Son is essential, where searching the (whole) bible can show us the proper way, to do so…

John Human
Scholar

Post #10

Post by John Human »

If we take a quote from the Lord's prayer and pray that God's will be done, we'll get what we pray for. And if we pray for the grace to accept the will of God, whatever it may be, we might actually get that, too.
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]