Ethics: Whats the point?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Ethics: Whats the point?

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, what is the point of ethics? Why shouldn't we all live greedy, selfish lives and let the devil take the hindmost?

I would argue there are three main reasons to be ethical:
  • 1) An ethical society is a better society to live in.
    2) An ethical person is a happier, more fulfilled person.
    3) An ethical person is 'saved', in the religious sense of salvation.
It does strike me though, that we need to sort out amongst ourselves the point of being ethical, even before we attempt to discuss what ethical behaviour might be. Though each informs the other, I think one needs to start out with a transparent agenda.

Any comments, welcome.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

William
Savant

Post #31

Post by William »

[Replying to post 30 by mgb]
Is 'intention' the deciding factor as to whether something can be regarded as immoral or moral?
Yes.
If one knows that using these things causes harm, but one is using them for harmless reasons, how is using them for those harmless reasons not contributing to harm, and thus immoral?

If one is to say "My intention was good. I cannot help that the thing I used to make that happen, also caused harm" , how is that not immoral?

mgb
Guru

Post #32

Post by mgb »

William wrote: If one is to say "My intention was good. I cannot help that the thing I used to make that happen, also caused harm" , how is that not immoral?
Doing harm accidentally and intending harm are not the same thing.

William
Savant

Post #33

Post by William »

[Replying to post 32 by mgb]
Doing harm accidentally and intending harm are not the same thing.
Not - when I wrote;
If one is to say "My intention was good. I cannot help that the thing I used to make that happen, also caused harm" , how is that not immoral?
Harm is harm, and if one knows what creates harm, then one cannot be said to be contributing to the harm 'accidentally' and still claim to be within ones definition of 'what is moral.' Even ones definition of 'accidental' is iffy.

mgb
Guru

Post #34

Post by mgb »

William wrote:Not - when I wrote;
Harm is harm, and if one knows what creates harm, then one cannot be said to be contributing to the harm 'accidentally' and still claim to be within ones definition of 'what is moral.' Even ones definition of 'accidental' is iffy.

If one has to eat meat to survive that is not immoral but it causes harm in so far as it kills a living creature. These days we must engage, to an extent, with many material things that pollute and harm the environment. That is not immoral. To be immoral is to wilfully damage something we could have avioded damaging.

William
Savant

Post #35

Post by William »

[Replying to post 34 by mgb]
If one has to eat meat to survive that is not immoral but it causes harm in so far as it kills a living creature. These days we must engage, to an extent, with many material things that pollute and harm the environment. That is not immoral. To be immoral is to wilfully damage something we could have avioded damaging.
So - even that you know when you use a vehicle you are contributing to harming the whole planet, because you have to engage with many material things which pollute and harm the environment, it is ethical to do so, because ... you have no choice but to engage?

mgb
Guru

Post #36

Post by mgb »

William wrote: [Replying to post 34 by mgb]
So - even that you know when you use a vehicle you are contributing to harming the whole planet, because you have to engage with many material things which pollute and harm the environment, it is ethical to do so, because ... you have no choice but to engage?
yes

William
Savant

Post #37

Post by William »

[Replying to post 36 by mgb]

Well that explains why the world is still the way it is.

So, when at last the harm done is great enough and almost everyone suffers from the affect this will cause, will you still think your choices were ethical - or will you change your mind about that?

In the above, the author is referring what happened with Nazi-Germany.

Of the three groups, which are being ethical, according to your position on morality?

mgb
Guru

Post #38

Post by mgb »

If the harm done is so great it will only be because so many unethical things added up.

Perhaps the 1/3 that were victims were ethical because the 1/3 that looked on did nothing.

William
Savant

Post #39

Post by William »

[Replying to post 38 by mgb]
So, when at last the harm done is great enough and almost everyone suffers from the affect this will cause, will you still think your choices were ethical - or will you change your mind about that?
If the harm done is so great it will only be because so many unethical things added up.
So are you saying then, that you will no longer think that your choices were ethical?
Of the three groups, which are being ethical, according to your position on morality?
Perhaps the 1/3 that were victims were ethical because the 1/3 that looked on did nothing.
So those who looked on and did nothing are the same as those who know they are contributing to the harm but feel they are forced by circumstance to participate.

mgb
Guru

Post #40

Post by mgb »

William wrote:So are you saying then, that you will no longer think that your choices were ethical?
I am saying that moral choices must be informed choices. We need to consider what is and what is not moral.
So those who looked on and did nothing are the same as those who know they are contributing to the harm but feel they are forced by circumstance to participate.
It depends on whether they could have done something to prevent the violence.