Ethics: Whats the point?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Ethics: Whats the point?

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, what is the point of ethics? Why shouldn't we all live greedy, selfish lives and let the devil take the hindmost?

I would argue there are three main reasons to be ethical:
  • 1) An ethical society is a better society to live in.
    2) An ethical person is a happier, more fulfilled person.
    3) An ethical person is 'saved', in the religious sense of salvation.
It does strike me though, that we need to sort out amongst ourselves the point of being ethical, even before we attempt to discuss what ethical behaviour might be. Though each informs the other, I think one needs to start out with a transparent agenda.

Any comments, welcome.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

William
Savant

Post #21

Post by William »

[Replying to post 20 by mgb]
What is meant by that, as far as you understand it?
When I said "Do you think that your life is valuable enough to merit respect from others?" I meant "Do you think your life is valuable enough for people to understand that they should not harm or kill you?"
So when you say 'life' you are writing about biological life - the form - as how you see yourself and others?
Do you think your life deserves to be preserved from wilful harm or murder? If you do you value your life. If the value of your life demands that people should not harm you then the same applies to all life.

If the value of your life should be recognized so should the value of all life. This is the basis of morality.
So morality only applies to experiencing being a biological entity? And this because, 'harm can be done'?

mgb
Guru

Post #22

Post by mgb »

William wrote:So when you say 'life' you are writing about biological life - the form - as how you see yourself and others?
I am talking about being, consciousness.
So morality only applies to experiencing being a biological entity? And this because, 'harm can be done'?
It has to do with the good. Everything good is sacred/has value. That is why it is immoral to harm the good.

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

[Replying to post 22 by mgb]
Okay - so not just biological life forms?
It has to do with the good. Everything good is sacred/has value. That is why it is immoral to harm the good.
Are you meaning to purposefully harm? Where are the lines drawn, since morality and what is good are subjective impressions?

Is it good to drive vehicles using oil-based energy, when we know that such causes harm to life forms?

mgb
Guru

Post #24

Post by mgb »

William wrote: Okay - so not just biological life forms?
We are spiritual beings.
Are you meaning to purposefully harm? Where are the lines drawn, since morality and what is good are subjective impressions?
Yes, deliberate harm. Morality is not subjective - though some details are open to debate. Morality is based on the sacredness of life.
Is it good to drive vehicles using oil-based energy, when we know that such causes harm to life forms?
Unfortunately some bad things are unavoidable because the world is damaged.

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

[Replying to post 24 by mgb]
Okay - so not just biological life forms?
We are spiritual beings.
Yes - this is what I am thinking...so I understand the idea of morality in the terms you are using it ...related to biological form, where harm can be done.

You are suggesting that harm can also be done to spiritual beings?
Yes, deliberate harm. Morality is not subjective - though some details are open to debate. Morality is based on the sacredness of life.
You also wrote;
in relation to what you think "life" is.

Do you understand consciousness and spirit as being the same?
Consciousness/Spirit = Sacred?
Unfortunately some bad things are unavoidable because the world is damaged.
So it is unfortunate that immorality (the purposeful harming of life) is unavoidable?

mgb
Guru

Post #26

Post by mgb »

William wrote: So it is unfortunate that immorality (the purposeful harming of life) is unavoidable?

Driving a car or flying is not intentionally harming the world. One does not fly to intentionally do harm. Morality has a lot to do with intention.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

mgb wrote:
William wrote: So it is unfortunate that immorality (the purposeful harming of life) is unavoidable?

Driving a car or flying is not intentionally harming the world. One does not fly to intentionally do harm. Morality has a lot to do with intention.
If your claim from post 24 is true:
  • We are spiritual beings.
Then nothing that is done in the physical world could possibly harm us. Given that we are actually physical beings living in a physical world, we should be concerned about the physical world we live in.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

mgb
Guru

Post #28

Post by mgb »

Tcg wrote:
mgb wrote:

If your claim from post 24 is true:
  • We are spiritual beings.
Then nothing that is done in the physical world could possibly harm us. Given that we are actually physical beings living in a physical world, we should be concerned about the physical world we live in.

Tcg
We are spirits living temporary physical existences.

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to post 26 by mgb]
Driving a car or flying is not intentionally harming the world.
Unless piloting a drone or using a vehicle as a weapon.

Thus, in relation to morality, if one knows that these things cause harm, but one is using them for harmless reasons, how is using them for those other reasons, not contributing to the harm? What cancels out the moral obligation?
One does not fly to intentionally do harm. Morality has a lot to do with intention.
Is 'intention' the deciding factor as to whether something can be regarded as immoral or moral?

mgb
Guru

Post #30

Post by mgb »

William wrote: Is 'intention' the deciding factor as to whether something can be regarded as immoral or moral?
Yes.