Why do the Abrahamic Theists do it?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Why do the Abrahamic Theists do it?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

The Abrahamic theists have chosen to support a hateful religious mythology that portrays a jealous God who's out to condemn the vast majority of humans by his very own declaration within this mythology itself. Even Christianity has Jesus proclaiming that only a few humans will make it into heaven. The Old Testament has everyone condemned.

So why choose to believe in, and support, such a negative theology? :-k

There are many far more optimistic and positive theologies to chose from. Why not chose one of those?

Are theists stuck with the God myths they grew up with? And if not, then why chose such an ugly theology?

No Abrahamic theist can claim that the Abrahamic theology isn't disgusting. It's a theology that proclaims that all humans are unfit for their creator and the only way they can be saved from damnation is via the brutal blood sacrifice of God himself on their behalf. Or at least the brutal blood sacrifice of animals to atone for their sins if we stick with just the OT.

So what's up with choosing such a negative religion?

Buddhism doesn't have anything negative like that to say.
Hinduism doesn't have anything negative like that to say.
Jainism doesn't have anything negative like that to say.
Taoism doesn't have anything negative like that to say.
Wicca doesn't have anything negative like that to say.

So why do the Abrahamic theists choose such a negative theology to support and try to defend?

Can anyone please explain why these Abrahamic theists are so attracted to negativity?

If you can't explain it, speculation is welcome. :D
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

shnarkle
Guru

Post #11

Post by shnarkle »

[Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

And yet your feelings are of no consequence in debate.

Sorry, but they absolutely are of consequence.
Not when it comes to presenting an argument for debate.
This religion claims that people who reject it know they are rejecting a good God, yada yada yada. But if I don't feel that this the case for me, then it cannot be true.
Feelings are not the basis for estalblishing truth claims especially when it comes to debate.
You can't be rejecting a good God and not know it.
You can't reject any god that is omnisicient, and the biblical god is presented as omniscient. One can't know what is unknowable, and an all knowing God cannot be known.
In fact, this is why the authors gave themselves away as writing pure fiction when the made up the story of the Canaanites. They proved that what they were writing is necessarily fiction.
You've presented this argument in the past. I already refuted it, but if you'd like to try it again, I'll squash it like I did the last time.
Why would you place your faith in a religion that demands that you deserve to be damned?
I'm not. Whatever gave you that idea?
What sense does that make,
None, especially since I have no faith to begin with.
... unless you are convinced it's true in which case you must see yourself as a person worthy of being damned. How is that not an extremely negative worldview?
Probably for the same reason I don't get bent over what any of the Greek, Persian, Hindu, Norse, or any other gods think or do either. They're great stories. I can see how easy it may be to get lost in them, and perhaps want to place ourselves in the action as well. I've seen this happen with people in movie theaters. They forget where they are, and really get into the story. That's a tell tale sign that the authors are good at what they do. They get people to believe the stories they're telling. This seems to be the case with people who get bent out of shape over how evil and ruthless the biblical god is. They see that if they're in this narrative, they're toast. So they get upset, angry, resentful, etc.

I don't identify with the damned so I don't get upset about being damned like those who may be losing touch with reality tend to do.