Subjective Morality

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

The Tanager
Savant

Subjective Morality

Post #1

Post by The Tanager »

I started this post out of another discussion with Divine Insight. DI has made some arguments for morality being subjective. I'm still trying to get the terminology straight.
Divine Insight wrote:If morality is not absolute, then it can only be subjective. A matter of opinion.
We need to get our terms straight when talking about our human morality. I agree with you concerning 'subjective' being a matter of opinion. Objective, then, would mean not being a matter of opinion. Just like the shape of the earth is not a matter of opinion. X is good or bad for everyone.

Absolute vs. situational is a sub-issue concerning objectivism. The absolutist would say X is good or bad for everyone (and thus objectivism) no matter the situation. The situationalist would say X is good or bad for everyone but qualified by the situation.

In this phrasing, morality can be objectivist without being absolute. Now, I don't care if these are the terms we agree upon or not, but there must be some term for each concept I've presented. If you want to use "absolute" for "objective" above, that's fine. But you've got to tell me what two terms you want to use for what I termed the "absolute vs. situational" sub-issue.

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Subjective Morality

Post #581

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:01 am I agree that is a logical consequence, but I don't think it's relevant to our discussion. One could still disagree about what to do about this fact.
But then the disagreement is over something else, other than taste re: ice-cream.
Continuing from above, I think you would say that the disagreement over what to do about food taste boils down to an instinct about liking/disliking personal freedom in food taste. I still disagree there. I believe personal freedom is an objective good unless it causes objective harm, because I believe that we are made in God's image as free agents with intrinsic value. (All other things being equal) it is because exercising one's food taste does not cause objective harm that I think personal freedom in food taste is good.
That's an (A), you are speaking of objective good and objective harm, you have not referred to taste, preference or hallucination at all. I don't think what you said here is at all relevant to what I said, I was speaking of the logical consequences of taste being subjective (B). You would of course come to different conclusions when you don't even begin with the same premise. So what exactly are you disagreeing with?
How is that a justification? They are acting on the preference they have, but I'm asking for the justification for doing so.
"Why did you pick chocolate ice-cream over vanilla?" "I like chocolate better." Sounds like a justification to me. Why isn't it to you?
So you are applying your personal hallucination [I don't like Johnny's action] to yourself and what is the result? What is the statement that follows that?
What statements follows is trivial: Johnny is wrong. As for results, any number of things: from quite discontentment, through condemnation, to physical violence, depending on how strongly I feel. You know, the same kind of things you would do, if you thought Johnny is objectively wrong.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #582

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:02 am
I agree that is a logical consequence, but I don't think it's relevant to our discussion. One could still disagree about what to do about this fact.
But then the disagreement is over something else, other than taste re: ice-cream.
Yes, the disagreement we have been discussing: how a rational person would act if they believe food taste was a subjective feature of reality.
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:02 amThat's an (A), you are speaking of objective good and objective harm, you have not referred to taste, preference or hallucination at all. I don't think what you said here is at all relevant to what I said, I was speaking of the logical consequences of taste being subjective (B).
I'm speaking about something that I think is a subjective aspect of reality: food choice. My judgment of another's food choice (not what my preference/choice would be if I was in that same situation) is not an (A)...I don't think everyone should make the same choice. It's not a (C), because that would mean it is about what my preference/choice is [unless you think a (C) means something like "this is my preference because it is what I prefer."] It's a (B) that is informed by other (A)'s and a (B), that food preference is a subjective aspect of reality. I'm speaking of the confluence of objective good/harm and taste being subjective in considering my judgment on the food choice of a person not myself.
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:02 amYou would of course come to different conclusions when you don't even begin with the same premise. So what exactly are you disagreeing with?
I believe a rational person would allow personal freedom in food taste (whether they believe good/harm is an objective or subjective feature of reality). You don't seem to agree with that.
How is that a justification? They are acting on the preference they have, but I'm asking for the justification for doing so.
"Why did you pick chocolate ice-cream over vanilla?" "I like chocolate better." Sounds like a justification to me. Why isn't it to you?
No, I mean why do you think it logically follows? I like X, therefore, as a rational person, I would do X. Why does that logically follow?
So you are applying your personal hallucination [I don't like Johnny's action] to yourself and what is the result? What is the statement that follows that?
What statements follows is trivial: Johnny is wrong.
When you say "Johnny is wrong," another way you put that is "I don't like Johnny's action," right? Those are synonyms to you, right? If so, then you are saying that "applying your personal hallucination" to yourself is telling yourself (and others) what your personal hallucination is? That's not applying a hallucination to a judgment of something. Obviously you dislike what you dislike. That tells us nothing. It's saying the same thing, not giving a logical consequence.
Bust Nak wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:02 amAs for results, any number of things: from quite discontentment, through condemnation, to physical violence, depending on how strongly I feel. You know, the same kind of things you would do, if you thought Johnny is objectively wrong.
That sounds like you are saying you are a non-objectivist who acts like an objectivist.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #583

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:19 pm Yes, the disagreement we have been discussing: how a rational person would act if they believe food taste was a subjective feature of reality.
Right, that sort of disagreement is possible, since this much is an (A) discussion. There is a correct answer for why a person behave in a certain way. e.g. "Johnny picked chocolate because he likes it better than vanilla" is the correct answer to "why did Johnny picked chocolate ice-cream?"
I'm speaking about something that I think is a subjective aspect of reality: food choice. My judgment of another's food choice (not what my preference/choice would be if I was in that same situation) is not an (A)… I don't think everyone should make the same choice. It's not a (C), because that would mean it is about what my preference/choice is... It's a (B) that is informed by other (A)'s and a (B), that food preference is a subjective aspect of reality. I'm speaking of the confluence of objective good/harm and taste being subjective in considering my judgment on the food choice of a person not myself.
But you still can't tell me how the rational thought process is supposed to go step by step from premise to conclusion.
It's not a (C), because that would mean it is about what my preference/choice is [unless you think a (C) means something like "this is my preference because it is what I prefer."]
Sounds like the same thing to me? "This is my preference because it is what I prefer" is "about what my preference/choice is," isn't it?
I believe a rational person would allow personal freedom in food taste (whether they believe good/harm is an objective or subjective feature of reality). You don't seem to agree with that.
I too believe a rational person would allow personal freedom in food taste. The disagreement is over the reason why they would allow that, i.e. the bit inside the bracket. Earlier you said it is because taste is subjective feature of reality (B), and is seemingly also saying people allow it because it is correct to allow it (A). I say they do it because of (C); (A) I ruled out because I am not an objectivist, even though I acknowledge it is a valid position. (B) I rule out as invalid.
No, I mean why do you think it logically follows? I like X, therefore, as a rational person, I would do X. Why does that logically follow?
That's just an axiom, that a person would act in such a way to fulfil their desire.
When you say "Johnny is wrong," another way you put that is "I don't like Johnny's action," right? Those are synonyms to you, right? If so, then you are saying that "applying your personal hallucination" to yourself is telling yourself (and others) what your personal hallucination is?
That's right, hence trivial. This too: I believe we should not allow Johnny to do this because I got an unexplainable feeling of disliking Johnny's action and go with that.
That's not applying a hallucination to a judgment of something. Obviously you dislike what you dislike. That tells us nothing. It's saying the same thing, not giving a logical consequence.
Fine by me, I never liked the term hallucination to begin with: I am not applying a hallucination at all when I judge Johnny. So thinking it doesn't count, and saying it out loud doesn't count, then how about when I physically stop Johnny, does that count as applying a hallucination? And if it does count, then what is so difference between physically stopping him and saying "hey, that's wrong" which is a form of verbally stopping him?
That sounds like you are saying you are a non-objectivist who acts like an objectivist.
Sure, which incidentally also sounds like objectivists act like non-objectivists. This is why this misconception that non-objectivists don't act consistently with their beliefs is so prevalent. Many objectivists don't realise that acting like an objectivist is quite consistent with non-objectivism.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #584

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amRight, that sort of disagreement is possible, since this much is an (A) discussion. There is a correct answer for why a person behave in a certain way. e.g. "Johnny picked chocolate because he likes it better than vanilla" is the correct answer to "why did Johnny picked chocolate ice-cream?"
But I'm not talking about why Johnny did what he did. I'm talking about what we, as rational people, would think about Johnny doing what he did. Why was Susan okay with Johnny picking chocolate ice cream?

(A1) because chocolate ice cream is objectively tastier? No, Susan isn't an objectivist about food taste.
(A2) because personal freedom in food taste is an objective good? No, Susan isn't an objectivist about that either.
(C1) because Susan likes chocolate ice cream? No, Susan doesn't like chocolate ice cream.
(C2) because Susan likes personal freedom in people's ice cream choices? That's true, but it's just saying the same thing: she's likes it because she likes it.

You seem to think it is (C3) because Susan has an unexplainable feeling of liking personal freedom and she goes with that? You seem to think this is the only reason Susan could believe so (given how she feels about the 4 things above). But why is it rational to judge another person's actions by something that rises within you, when you think you inhabit a different reality (or a different part of a subjective feature of reality) than they do? This is different than asking what would a person who likes personal freedom in food taste do. We are asking are they rational for liking personal freedom in food taste for the reason given.

I think it is (B) because Susan believes a rational person would judge people by the reality that affects the other person, not by their personal hallucination, their personal reality.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amBut you still can't tell me how the rational thought process is supposed to go step by step from premise to conclusion.
Saying X is a subjective feature of reality, metaphorically splits the world into different spheres where there are different correct answers to the same the question. What ice cream is good to you? How much clothing in this weather is good to you? What action towards this child is good to you? If Johnny were rational, what would he do? He would eat chocolate ice cream, even though I don't like it. He would wear a t-shirt and shorts because he is warm, even though I feel like I'm freezing. In the same vein, then, he would be rational to try to abuse the child even though I am against it. If all of these things are the same subjective kinds of things, then why would Susan be okay (and rationally so) with his ice cream choice, his clothing choice, but not his relationship choice?
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amSounds like the same thing to me? "This is my preference because it is what I prefer" is "about what my preference/choice is," isn't it?
My point is that it is the same thing. It's trivial that my preference is my preference. We are talking about whether one is rational for having that opinion/preference/belief here. If that is what you think a (C) is, then (C)'s are useless for our discussion. The (C) you have been offering is "I believe X instinctually, with no consideration of reality outside myself."
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 am
I too believe a rational person would allow personal freedom in food taste. The disagreement is over the reason why they would allow that, i.e. the bit inside the bracket. Earlier you said it is because taste is subjective feature of reality (B), and is seemingly also saying people allow it because it is correct to allow it (A). I say they do it because of (C); (A) I ruled out because I am not an objectivist, even though I acknowledge it is a valid position. (B) I rule out as invalid.
With the brackets I am saying both an objectivist and a non-objectivist/subjectivist (about harm) would be rational to allow personal freedom in food taste. Both an (A) and a (B). I don't see how it is rational to judge other people's choices by something that is reality only in the judge's sphere (C).
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amThat's just an axiom, that a person would act in such a way to fulfil their desire.
I don't think it is rational for me to fulfill my desire to objectify women. I know people do act on their desires, but (it seems to me) you were saying it logically follows that a rational person would do so.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amFine by me, I never liked the term hallucination to begin with: I am not applying a hallucination at all when I judge Johnny. So thinking it doesn't count, and saying it out loud doesn't count, then how about when I physically stop Johnny, does that count as applying a hallucination? And if it does count, then what is so difference between physically stopping him and saying "hey, that's wrong" which is a form of verbally stopping him?
But it is, metaphorically, a hallucination. You think it is not objective reality. We each have our own hallucinations or experiences of reality. Your hallucinations are "I don't like child abuse" and "I don't like people to have freedom in moral choices." You don't think these are objectively true (i.e., other people have the opposite hallucinations). But, you are saying, it is rational for you to judge other people acting on their hallucinations by your hallucinations. You act as though your hallucination should have reign over Johnny's life as well as your own. You act on that belief when you try to stop him from having his hallucination. All the time admitting that your belief from which you are judging him is just as much a hallucination as his.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 amSure, which incidentally also sounds like objectivists act like non-objectivists. This is why this misconception that non-objectivists don't act consistently with their beliefs is so prevalent. Many objectivists don't realise that acting like an objectivist is quite consistent with non-objectivism.
An objectivist believes they have truth and those that disagree have hallucinations. It makes sense to judge other people's hallucinations by the truth (you do it with the shape of the Earth). A non-objectivist believes they have a hallucination and those that disagree have a hallucination. That's different than the objectivist. They should not act the same. So, the question is do the actions you describe sound like putting one thing over another (seeing a standard to hold hallucinations to) or putting them on the same playing field (just hallucinations). They sound like the former. Those actions are objectivist kinds of actions and non-objectivist kinds of actions would be different.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #585

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:37 am But I'm not talking about why Johnny did what he did. I'm talking about what we, as rational people, would think about Johnny doing what he did. Why was Susan okay with Johnny picking chocolate ice cream?
Same thing applies, this is still an (A) - there is an correct answer for why Susan is okay with that.
(C2) because Susan likes personal freedom in people's ice cream choices? That's true, but it's just saying the same thing: she's likes it because she likes it.
Right, that's the correct answer.
You seem to think it is (C3) because Susan has an unexplainable feeling of liking personal freedom and she goes with that?
Isn't that the same as (C2), or at least one trivially implies the other if not exactly the same thing?
But why is it rational to judge another person's actions by something that rises within you, when you think you inhabit a different reality (or a different part of a subjective feature of reality) than they do?
Because it's literally the same thing? She likes it because she likes it. A implies A, rationality doesn't get much simpler than that. Alternatively it's not rational at all, we are talking about feelings that boils down to instincts after all.
This is different than asking what would a person who likes personal freedom in food taste do. We are asking are they rational for liking personal freedom in food taste for the reason given.

I think it is (B) because Susan believes a rational person would judge people by the reality that affects the other person, not by their personal hallucination, their personal reality.
But you still can't tell me how the rational thought process is supposed to go step by step from premise to conclusion. More below...
Saying X is a subjective feature of reality, metaphorically splits the world into different spheres where there are different correct answers to the same the question.
I thought you've agreed to stop using "correct" when when talking about the content of someone's preference, as opposed to factual statements about those personal preferences? "What ice cream is good to you? How much clothing in this weather is good to you? What action towards this child is good to you?" are all questioning the content of someone's preference.
If Johnny were rational, what would he do? He would eat chocolate ice cream, even though I don't like it. He would wear a t-shirt and shorts because he is warm, even though I feel like I'm freezing. In the same vein, then, he would be rational to try to abuse the child even though I am against it.
So far so good, I agree with all these premises. Just don't see how you link these to the conclusion that, one would judge people by the reality that affects the other person."
If all of these things are the same subjective kinds of things, then why would Susan be okay (and rationally so) with his ice cream choice, his clothing choice, but not his relationship choice?
Because of (C) type reasons. She just likes it that way, that's the way she rolls. As for (and rationally so,) see above, re: rational because A->A; or not rational because boils down to instincts.
My point is that it is the same thing. It's trivial that my preference is my preference. We are talking about whether one is rational for having that opinion/preference/belief here. If that is what you think a (C) is, then (C)'s are useless for our discussion. The (C) you have been offering is "I believe X instinctually, with no consideration of reality outside myself."
Why is that useless? It is how we operate for picking ice-cream after all.
With the brackets I am saying both an objectivist and a non-objectivist/subjectivist (about harm) would be rational to allow personal freedom in food taste. Both an (A) and a (B). I don't see how it is rational to judge other people's choices by something that is reality only in the judge's sphere (C).
Appealing to the subjective kind of harm is obviously a (C) type reasoning. If you acknowledge that it make sense to allow freedom in food taste because it does no subjective harm, you've already saw how it is rational to judge other people's choices by something that is reality only in the judge's sphere (C) - subjective harm only exist in the judge's sphere.
I don't think it is rational for me to fulfill my desire to objectify women. I know people do act on their desires, but (it seems to me) you were saying it logically follows that a rational person would do so.
You don't do that because your desire to not objectify women is stronger. I like chocolate ice-cream, but I like vanilla more, so I pick vanilla favor. It's trivial.
But it is, metaphorically, a hallucination. You think it is not objective reality. We each have our own hallucinations or experiences of reality. Your hallucinations are "I don't like child abuse" and "I don't like people to have freedom in moral choices." You don't think these are objectively true (i.e., other people have the opposite hallucinations). But, you are saying, it is rational for you to judge other people acting on their hallucinations by your hallucinations. You act as though your hallucination should have reign over Johnny's life as well as your own. You act on that belief when you try to stop him from having his hallucination. All the time admitting that your belief from which you are judging him is just as much a hallucination as his.
Yes, we've established that much, I have an hallucination which lead to my actions. I don't like the word "hallucination," but I will keep using it here. So back to my question, is any of the following application my hallucination: Judging Johnny's action; making that judgment known (is this a form of verbally stopping Johnny?); physically stopping Johnny? Follow up request, if some but not all are applications, explain the difference.
An objectivist believes they have truth and those that disagree have hallucinations. It makes sense to judge other people's hallucinations by the truth (you do it with the shape of the Earth).
Granted.
A non-objectivist believes they have a hallucination and those that disagree have a hallucination. That's different than the objectivist.
Also granted.
So, the question is do the actions you describe sound like putting one thing over another (seeing a standard to hold hallucinations to) or putting them on the same playing field (just hallucinations). They sound like the former.
Also granted, it is the former, I am putting my hallucinations over Johnny's.
They should not act the same... Those actions are objectivist kinds of actions and non-objectivist kinds of actions would be different.
[Order of your text rearranged]
Why not? How does the above premises imply that it is unexpected that we act the same? (While we are here, you are using "should" but not in the preference/moral sense, you agreed not to.)

The Tanager
Savant

Post #586

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 am(While we are here, you are using "should" but not in the preference/moral sense, you agreed not to.)
You are right. Old habits die hard. I am sorry for letting some slip back through. Part of the problem (but not an excuse) is that I still don't think we have the right term for what I'm talking about. Perhaps I'm thinking a bit clearer about it now and we need to add a term. I know non-objectivists who say Johnny's action is moral, but that it doesn't match their preference if they were in the same moral dilemma. Neither is it talking about what a rational person would do. I think distinguishing the moral "should" from "this is my preference" would be the easiest fix, but you may see a problem in that which I don't.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 amYou don't do that because your desire to not objectify women is stronger. I like chocolate ice-cream, but I like vanilla more, so I pick vanilla favor. It's trivial.
Let me try to see if I understand you. You believe one can either act on instinct alone (like with food choices and moral choices) or objective truth alone (like with the shape of the Earth). But that the "objective truth alone" can only refer to it being an objective truth that reality is objective on an issue. I say that reality being subjective is also an objective truth one can act on, rather than acting on their specific instinct within that subjective issue. But, to you, those kinds of objective truths don't act like other kinds of objective truths.

I almost decided to end my response there as the most important focus for us, but since I had already responded to most everything else, and it may do the conversation good, I'll still post those other things:
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 am
But I'm not talking about why Johnny did what he did. I'm talking about what we, as rational people, would think about Johnny doing what he did. Why was Susan okay with Johnny picking chocolate ice cream?
Same thing applies, this is still an (A) - there is an correct answer for why Susan is okay with that.
If this is what you mean by an (A), then every single thing has an (A). Of course Susan has a reason why she did X and the reason she has is the reason why she did X. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why she had that answer (being okay with it) versus a different answer.
Right, that's the correct answer.
No, it's not. It's not an answer. It's like this: "Why did the Cubs win the World Series in 2016?" "Because the Cubs won the World Series in 2016, i.e., it actually happened." The question isn't: "did the Cubs win the World Series in 2016?"
You seem to think it is (C3) because Susan has an unexplainable feeling of liking personal freedom and she goes with that?
Isn't that the same as (C2), or at least one trivially implies the other if not exactly the same thing?
It doesn't seem the same to me. I know you wouldn't say this to the Cubs question above but, with a (C3)-kind of answer there, one would be at least answering the question of why she thinks the Cubs won...she never heard/read the news anywhere, but her instincts told them the Cubs did win that year.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 amBecause it's literally the same thing? She likes it because she likes it. A implies A, rationality doesn't get much simpler than that. Alternatively it's not rational at all, we are talking about feelings that boils down to instincts after all.
No, we are talking about judgments on other people's actions. It could boil down to pure instincts for some, but it doesn't have to because people can take into account reality outside of themselves.
Why is that useless? It is how we operate for picking ice-cream after all.
To clarify, I don't think the bolded part is useless. What I was calling useless was when you say things that are redundant like "my preference is my preference" or "I like X because I like X". What I think you mean (in clearer phrasing) is that the reason you like chocolate is that you have a natural "instinct" to like it as opposed to going through some rational consideration and concluding that you like chocolate ice cream.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 amAppealing to the subjective kind of harm is obviously a (C) type reasoning. If you acknowledge that it make sense to allow freedom in food taste because it does no subjective harm, you've already saw how it is rational to judge other people's choices by something that is reality only in the judge's sphere (C) - subjective harm only exist in the judge's sphere.
That harm is subjective is obviously not a (C) because (C)'s take no note of reality outside of one's self. They are just instinct, not based on considering things about the world. To say harm is a subjective notion makes a judgment about reality outside of one's self. The (C) is that "I don't like what I call harm" not that harm is a subjective feature of reality.

Within one's (C) there is an objective answer to a question like "is harm good?" In Susan's subjective sphere, child abuse is harmful. But in Johnny's subjective sphere, child abuse is not harmful. One who believes that harm is a subjective feature of reality, believes these different spheres exist (as opposed to one sphere in which Susan is right and Johnny wrong about the harm of child abuse) with no sphere a truer/more rational standard to judge the other by. If one who believes in the subjectivity of harm is rational, then they would be rationally okay with Johnny's action of child abuse, even though it goes against their own emotional view of child abuse.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 amYes, we've established that much, I have an hallucination which lead to my actions. I don't like the word "hallucination," but I will keep using it here. So back to my question, is any of the following application my hallucination: Judging Johnny's action; making that judgment known (is this a form of verbally stopping Johnny?); physically stopping Johnny? Follow up request, if some but not all are applications, explain the difference.
And, to make sure we are clear, I think both objectivists and non-objectivists can have hallucinations, but rational considerations lead to their actions in spite of their hallucinations. Now, your hallucination is "child abuse bad." Johnny's hallucination is "child abuse good."

You seem to judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination by your hallucination (i.e., you apply your hallucination to Johnny). You use your hallucination as a standard with which to judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination. I think the other actions also continue that judgment/application of your hallucination. You are treating Johnny in line with your subjective experience of things, as though it should be objectively applied to everyone and not just yourself.

A non-objectivist could, however, judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination by one's belief that hallucinations are all that exist, where it is irrational for any hallucination to be judged by another hallucination. They would continue the judgment/application with different actions than you. They say Johnny did what he should have done in judging his action. (This 'should' seems more than just a rational thing, but not your sense of moral being what you prefer, so I don't know what word to use.) They are [rationally and morally okay] with his action. They make make their judgment known, but not in an attempt to stop Johnny. They don't try to physically stop Johnny.
Bust Nak wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 amWhy not? How does the above premises imply that it is unexpected that we act the same?
A rational person would align their beliefs and actions with what the objective truth is. We've agreed to that, I think. Some say the objective truth of the matter is that X is an objective feature of reality. Some say the objective truth of the matter is that X is a subjective feature of reality. Those different beliefs should lead to different beliefs and actions from each other.

We are rationally okay with truth being placed as standard/judge over beliefs/opinions. It makes sense to judge people's opinions by the truth. It does not make sense to judge known opinions by other known opinions when one believes there is no opinion that should be judge over the others. You are judging one opinion (Johnny's) by another opinion (yours) as though it should be a judge over the other.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #587

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:03 pm Part of the problem (but not an excuse) is that I still don't think we have the right term for what I'm talking about. Perhaps I'm thinking a bit clearer about it now and we need to add a term. I know non-objectivists who say Johnny's action is moral, but that it doesn't match their preference if they were in the same moral dilemma. Neither is it talking about what a rational person would do. I think distinguishing the moral "should" from "this is my preference" would be the easiest fix, but you may see a problem in that which I don't.
That won't do since "this is my preference" does not convey obligation or duty. More importantly, I am not asking you to stop using "should" when referring to the "objective moral should," just don't use it for "probable/expected should."
Let me try to see if I understand you. You believe one can either act on instinct alone (like with food choices and moral choices) or objective truth alone (like with the shape of the Earth). But that the "objective truth alone" can only refer to it being an objective truth that reality is objective on an issue. I say that reality being subjective is also an objective truth one can act on, rather than acting on their specific instinct within that subjective issue. But, to you, those kinds of objective truths don't act like other kinds of objective truths.
No, they act the same. A couple of weeks ago when we first talked about (A) (B) and (C) type reasoning, I thought (A) and (C) alone was enough, since (B) "a feature of reality outside of one's self being subjective" sounded like it was already covered by objective truth (A). I see (B) as just another objective truth. I am only separated them once you clarified that (A) was only supposed to be a subset of all objective truth.
If this is what you mean by an (A), then every single thing has an (A). Of course Susan has a reason why she did X and the reason she has is the reason why she did X. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about why she had that answer (being okay with it) versus a different answer.
How is "reason why she did X" not the same thing as why she had that answer as opposed to another?
No, it's not. It's not an answer. It's like this: "Why did the Cubs win the World Series in 2016?" "Because the Cubs won the World Series in 2016, i.e., it actually happened."
You presume "because the Cubs won the World Series in 2016" doesn't cover the entirety of the situation. If that was indeed the totality of why the cubs won the World Series, then it is the correct answer. When you are talking about taste, the sole reason of why this ice-cream is tasty, is because I like it, that's it, there is nothing else there, "I like it" covers the entirely of the situation. If that does not suffice as an explanation, then there is no explanation, or as I put it before: there is no account for taste and that's just happens to be how I roll.

In short: You have two concepts in your mind, where as I only have one. You are looking for answers to how one concept leads to the other, you won't get any from me because there is only one concept in my mind.
The question isn't: "did the Cubs win the World Series in 2016?"
That can be answered with yes or no. "Because...." is clearly answering a why question.
It doesn't seem the same to me. I know you wouldn't say this to the Cubs question above but, with a (C3)-kind of answer there, one would be at least answering the question of why she thinks the Cubs won...she never heard/read the news anywhere, but her instincts told them the Cubs did win that year.
Her instincts told them the Cubs won and the Cub won because she felt that they won still sound like the same thing to me.
No, we are talking about judgments on other people's actions. It could boil down to pure instincts for some, but it doesn't have to because people can take into account reality outside of themselves.
We spoke about this already, anything outside of ourselves that you take into account, are just extra steps to help you figure out which instincts are most relevant. See my example of environmental policy, there are all sorts of things to take into account, such as the effects on polar bears and the economy, but that still boils down to how much I like polar bears vs money. Anything other than "objective truth alone" can be distilled down to pure instincts.
To clarify, I don't think the bolded part is useless. What I was calling useless was when you say things that are redundant like "my preference is my preference" or "I like X because I like X".
That's still not useless: To someone who does not know that I treat "tasty" as a synonym to "I like the taste," they are gaining new information when I tell them "vanilla is tasty because I like vanilla." You can only reduce that down to "I like vanilla because I like vanilla" with the knowledge that "tasty" means "I like it." In short, "Superman is Clark Kent" is not the same thing as "Superman is Superman." When the time comes where subjectivism is accepted as a trivial truth, then you can say it's redundant.
What I think you mean (in clearer phrasing) is that the reason you like chocolate is that you have a natural "instinct" to like it as opposed to going through some rational consideration and concluding that you like chocolate ice cream.
See polar bear. There is a difference between natural instinct and careful consideration, but it is an insignificant difference, since the latter still boil down to natural instinct.
That harm is subjective is obviously not a (C) because (C)'s take no note of reality outside of one's self. They are just instinct, not based on considering things about the world. To say harm is a subjective notion makes a judgment about reality outside of one's self. The (C) is that "I don't like what I call harm" not that harm is a subjective feature of reality.
Sure, "I don't like what I call harm" is exactly what I meant by "appealing to subjective harm." A non-objectivist/subjectivist (about harm) would be rational to allow personal freedom in food taste by appealing to (a lack of) subjective harm. And you seemed to agree with me that it is a (C).
One who believes that harm is a subjective feature of reality, believes these different spheres exist (as opposed to one sphere in which Susan is right and Johnny wrong about the harm of child abuse) with no sphere a truer/more rational standard to judge the other by.
So far so good.
If one who believes in the subjectivity of harm is rational, then they would be rationally okay with Johnny's action of child abuse, even though it goes against their own emotional view of child abuse.
Why? How does the above premises imply this conclusion? You've never managed to explain to me the rationale behind this claim (and its various variations.) I keep granting you premise after premise, the vital link between premises and conclusion is still missing.
You seem to judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination by your hallucination (i.e., you apply your hallucination to Johnny).
First, explain why judging Johnny's following through with his hallucination by my hallucination equates to me apply my hallucination to Johnny but judging ice-cream by my hallucination does not equates to me apply my hallucination to ice-cream.

Then explain the apparent inconsistency between what you said here, that judging Johnny is applying my hallucination, to what you said before, that saying Johnny is wrong isn't applying my hallucination, just telling people what my hallucination is.
You are treating Johnny in line with your subjective experience of things, as though it should be objectively applied to everyone and not just yourself.
As thought..., but it isn't that. More below re: superficial similarity between subjectivists and objectivists.
A non-objectivist could, however, judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination by one's belief that hallucinations are all that exist...
Same claim again, "hallucinations are all that exist" therefore allow Johnny freedom... why?
where it is irrational for any hallucination to be judged by another hallucination...
Don't seem to be any less rational than the above, when you can't tell me how you get from premise to conclusion.

Is it any more or less irrational for any hallucination to be judged by another hallucination, than for ice-cream to be judged by hallucination?
It does not make sense to judge known opinions by other known opinions when one believes there is no opinion that should be judge over the others.
Okay, but that's kinda moot since the vast majority of non-objectivist/subjectivist do not believe that no opinion should be judge over the others. You need to explain why "objective truth of the matter is that X is a subjective feature of reality" implies "no opinion that should be judge over the others." i.e. the claim that you've made over and over again in various forms, that I keep asking you to explain. The whole epic discussion really hinges on this one claim.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #588

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pm
I think distinguishing the moral "should" from "this is my preference" would be the easiest fix, but you may see a problem in that which I don't.
That won't do since "this is my preference" does not convey obligation or duty. More importantly, I am not asking you to stop using "should" when referring to the "objective moral should," just don't use it for "probable/expected should."
Are you saying you have the concept of obligation/duty in your use of "should"? I thought you didn't.
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmNo, they act the same. A couple of weeks ago when we first talked about (A) (B) and (C) type reasoning, I thought (A) and (C) alone was enough, since (B) "a feature of reality outside of one's self being subjective" sounded like it was already covered by objective truth (A). I see (B) as just another objective truth. I am only separated them once you clarified that (A) was only supposed to be a subset of all objective truth.
But you still think (B)'s are illogical, while (A)'s are not?
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmYou presume "because the Cubs won the World Series in 2016" doesn't cover the entirety of the situation. If that was indeed the totality of why the cubs won the World Series, then it is the correct answer. When you are talking about taste, the sole reason of why this ice-cream is tasty, is because I like it, that's it, there is nothing else there, "I like it" covers the entirely of the situation. If that does not suffice as an explanation, then there is no explanation, or as I put it before: there is no account for taste and that's just happens to be how I roll.

In short: You have two concepts in your mind, where as I only have one. You are looking for answers to how one concept leads to the other, you won't get any from me because there is only one concept in my mind.
This isn't about Susan's ice cream taste, but her being okay with Johnny acting on his ice cream taste. Her believing that allowing personal freedom in ice cream choices is good does not cover the entire situation; it is the situation we are asking about. Your explanation seems to be: Susan has a natural instinct. That's two things you are connecting, two concepts.
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmHer instincts told them the Cubs won and the Cub won because she felt that they won still sound like the same thing to me.
I didn't say those aren't the same thing. We were comparing (C2) with (C3). I said that Susan was okay with Johnny picking chocolate ice cream because:

(C2) Susan likes personal freedom in people's ice cream choices.
(C3) Susan has an instinct to do so.

Those are not obviously the same. The (C1) is vague on how "being okay with" and "likes" are distinct (or synonymous). If they are not distinct concepts, then we have a thesaurus. To be 'fetching' is to be 'pretty'. A thesaurus is not an explanation. The (C3) has distinct concepts (Susan's opinion on the matter and why she holds that opinion...instinct).
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmWe spoke about this already, anything outside of ourselves that you take into account, are just extra steps to help you figure out which instincts are most relevant. See my example of environmental policy, there are all sorts of things to take into account, such as the effects on polar bears and the economy, but that still boils down to how much I like polar bears vs money. Anything other than "objective truth alone" can be distilled down to pure instincts.
Why can't it be instinct ('yay' personal freedom unless damage occurs) and objective truth (food taste is subjective, the Earth's shape is objective, etc.)? Susan allows Johnny's ice cream choice but not his teaching of Flat Earth theory to kids because of instinct and what the pertinent objective truth is.
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmThat's still not useless: To someone who does not know that I treat "tasty" as a synonym to "I like the taste," they are gaining new information when I tell them "vanilla is tasty because I like vanilla." You can only reduce that down to "I like vanilla because I like vanilla" with the knowledge that "tasty" means "I like it." In short, "Superman is Clark Kent" is not the same thing as "Superman is Superman." When the time comes where subjectivism is accepted as a trivial truth, then you can say it's redundant.
But you still continue to say things like that in response to my questions, even though I know you view them as synonyms.
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmSure, "I don't like what I call harm" is exactly what I meant by "appealing to subjective harm." A non-objectivist/subjectivist (about harm) would be rational to allow personal freedom in food taste by appealing to (a lack of) subjective harm. And you seemed to agree with me that it is a (C).
That it is objectively true that harm is a subjective feature of reality is a (B). That one has a natural instinct that harm is "boo!" is a (C). (C)'s take no note of whether harm is a subjective or objective feature of reality.
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pm
You seem to judge Johnny's following through with his hallucination by your hallucination (i.e., you apply your hallucination to Johnny).
First, explain why judging Johnny's following through with his hallucination by my hallucination equates to me apply my hallucination to Johnny but judging ice-cream by my hallucination does not equates to me apply my hallucination to ice-cream.
You aren't judging ice cream by your hallucination. Your hallucination is your judgment of the ice cream. The second part of your question doesn't make sense: "...but my hallucination by my hallucination does not...". In the former, you are applying your hallucination (your judgment that child abuse is bad) to Johnny (concerning his following through with his hallucination).
Bust Nak wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:39 pmThen explain the apparent inconsistency between what you said here, that judging Johnny is applying my hallucination, to what you said before, that saying Johnny is wrong isn't applying my hallucination, just telling people what my hallucination is.
At times you seem to think there are two separate hallucinations going on. (1) Bust Nak doesn't like child abuse and (2) Bust Nak doesn't like personal freedom concerning treatment of children.

I think that either (2) comes about as a result of (1), i.e., from applying the first hallucination or that (2) is completely separate from (1), in which case you are just sharing what your hallucination is rather than making a pronouncement about hallucinations being all there is (i.e., that this is a subjective feature of reality).

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #589

Post by Bust Nak »

The Tanager wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:57 pm Are you saying you have the concept of obligation/duty in your use of "should"?
Of course, that's the whole point of morality.
But you still think (B)'s are illogical, while (A)'s are not?
No, it all depends on the actual reasoning: "(A) morality is an objective feature of reality therefore one should be okay with Johnny's action" is illogical; while "(B) morality is an subjective feature of reality therefore Johnny is not incorrect for abusing children" is perfectly logical. There isn't a systematic problem with (A) or (B) type reasoning, it's particular instances of (A) and (B) that is irrational.
This isn't about Susan's ice cream taste, but her being okay with Johnny acting on his ice cream taste. Her believing that allowing personal freedom in ice cream choices is good does not cover the entire situation; it is the situation we are asking about. Your explanation seems to be: Susan has a natural instinct. That's two things you are connecting, two concepts.
At a glance that looked self contradictory, if you accept that Susan's belief in allowing personal freedom in ice cream choices is the is the situation we are asking about, then where is the other concept? I only see one.
I didn't say those aren't the same thing. We were comparing (C2) with (C3). I said that Susan was okay with Johnny picking chocolate ice cream because:

(C2) Susan likes personal freedom in people's ice cream choices.
(C3) Susan has an instinct to do so.

Those are not obviously the same.
How are these not analogous to what I said? If mine are the same thing, then how are these not? (C2) Susan felt the cubs won; (C3) Susan has an instinct that says so.
The (C1) is vague on how "being okay with" and "likes" are distinct (or synonymous). If they are not distinct concepts, then we have a thesaurus. To be 'fetching' is to be 'pretty'. A thesaurus is not an explanation. The (C3) has distinct concepts (Susan's opinion on the matter and why she holds that opinion...instinct).
That's the point, "fetching" and "pretty" are the same thing. This is why she holds that opinion "that's how she roll; there is no accounting for taste; beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Is that an (A) (B) or (C) to you?
Why can't it be instinct ('yay' personal freedom unless damage occurs) and objective truth (food taste is subjective, the Earth's shape is objective, etc.)?
I told you why - with subjective matters, objective truth can only get you from "environmental policy" to "polar bears vs economy growth" it is the "yay polar bear" that is the decider. It is that "yay" (and only that "yay") which turns an amoral statement like "this policy kills bears" into a moral one "this policy is wrong." Much earlier I gave you another example with taste, analysing a dish's chemical make up does not change how a dish taste to you, at the absolute best it can tell you what it would taste like, but it is still how it taste to you that make a dish tasty or yuck.
But you still continue to say things like that in response to my questions, even though I know you view them as synonyms.
That's because you kept talking as if Clark is distinct from superman, asking me to explain how Clark can become Superman.
That it is objectively true that harm is a subjective feature of reality is a (B). That one has a natural instinct that harm is "boo!" is a (C). (C)'s take no note of whether harm is a subjective or objective feature of reality.
Sure, and your point is? Appealing to the subjective harm is still obviously a (C) "boo!"
You aren't judging ice cream by your hallucination. Your hallucination is your judgment of the ice cream. The second part of your question doesn't make sense: "...but my hallucination by my hallucination does not...". In the former, you are applying your hallucination (your judgment that child abuse is bad) to Johnny (concerning his following through with his hallucination).
It looks to me you have just restated your claim without an explanation. How is the former, applying my hallucination (my judgment that child abuse is bad) to Johnny (concerning his following through with his hallucination), but the latter isn't applying my hallucination (my judgment that ice-cream tastes good) to ice-cream (concerning it's taste)?
At times you seem to think there are two separate hallucinations going on. (1) Bust Nak doesn't like child abuse and (2) Bust Nak doesn't like personal freedom concerning treatment of children.
There absolutely are two separate hallucinations going on. I told you that explicitly months ago. How is this not absolutely clear? I said (1) is why I don't abuse children, (2) is why I don't allow Johnny to abuse children; I said you have to match the action to the right instinct. You don't remember me telling you that?
...in which case you are just sharing what your hallucination is rather than making a pronouncement about hallucinations being all there is (i.e., that this is a subjective feature of reality).
I affirmed this very thing too on multiple occasions, I told you: saying Johnny shouldn't abuse children is just simple objectivism; me saying Johnny isn't incorrect for abusing children is subjectivism proper, I switch between the two modes on the fly. Only subjectivism proper address the issue of subjective feature vs objective feature.

It's not that clear how your response answers my question, does my affirmation that, there are two separate hallucinations and that I am not making a pronouncement about hallucinations being all there is when I judge Johnny, changes your view on whether I am applying my hallucinations to Johnny or not?

The Tanager
Savant

Post #590

Post by The Tanager »

Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amAre you saying you have the concept of obligation/duty in your use of "should"?

Of course, that's the whole point of morality.
And obligation/duty is not a synonym for saying "I like/prefer/etc."? If so, then you are saying that you believe Johnny is obligated to fall in line with your hallucination on child abuse? And this obligation logically follows, for you, from the belief that you and Johnny both just have hallucinations?
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 am
At a glance that looked self contradictory, if you accept that Susan's belief in allowing personal freedom in ice cream choices is the is the situation we are asking about, then where is the other concept? I only see one.
That Susan is okay with personal freedom is a different concept than why she has come to believe that.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amHow are these not analogous to what I said? If mine are the same thing, then how are these not? (C2) Susan felt the cubs won; (C3) Susan has an instinct that says so.
My (C2) was a that, the (C3) is a why. That Susan felt the Cubs won could be either a (C2) or a (C3). If you mean "felt" as a synonym for "has an instinct," then "Susan felt the Cubs won" is a (C3), where "Susan feels..." is a distinct concept from "Susan believes...".
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amThat's the point, "fetching" and "pretty" are the same thing. This is why she holds that opinion "that's how she roll; there is no accounting for taste; beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Is that an (A) (B) or (C) to you?
Depends on what you mean by that. When one asks you what it means to be 'fetching' and you say that it means the same as 'pretty,' this is only helpful if they know what content attaches to the term 'pretty'. Your phrasing makes it unclear to me whether this is what you are doing or not with some of your comments. Why does she like X? Because she likes it (or that's how she rolls, etc.) isn't necessarily helpful. Is there an equivocation on "like" there? If not, then we have a (C2). If these two "like(s)" pick out two different concepts, then we could have a (C3), but they aren't synonyms. Why does she like X? She has a natural instinct to like it.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amI told you why - with subjective matters, objective truth can only get you from "environmental policy" to "polar bears vs economy growth" it is the "yay polar bear" that is the decider. It is that "yay" (and only that "yay") which turns an amoral statement like "this policy kills bears" into a moral one "this policy is wrong."
But that's still using both instincts and beliefs about what is objectively true rather only relying on pure instinct to come to one's conclusion.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amThat's because you kept talking as if Clark is distinct from superman, asking me to explain how Clark can become Superman.
To say Clark Kent is Superman is different than telling me why you think Clark Kent is the same as Superman.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 am
Sure, and your point is? Appealing to the subjective harm is still obviously a (C) "boo!"
To say harm is a subjective feature of reality is not based on a purely instinctual thing going on inside of you. To say your instinctual reaction to harming polar bears is "boo!," yes. Not to come to the conclusion that harm is not an objective feature of reality. For that you compare your instinct to other people's instincts, reject arguments from the objectivists, etc.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amIt looks to me you have just restated your claim without an explanation. How is the former, applying my hallucination (my judgment that child abuse is bad) to Johnny (concerning his following through with his hallucination), but the latter isn't applying my hallucination (my judgment that ice-cream tastes good) to ice-cream (concerning it's taste)?
"Applying my hallucination" means judging [something else] by [the hallucination]. So, in the former we have you judging [Johnny's action] by [how you judge child abuse]. You are applying your hallucination to something outside of that hallucination. In the latter your hallucination is "vanilla ice cream is tasty". You are asking me to apply that hallucination to ice cream. Apply "vanilla ice cream is tasty" to "vanilla ice cream"? That's redundant. We already applied your natural instinct to vanilla ice cream to reach what your personal hallucination is.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amThere absolutely are two separate hallucinations going on. I told you that explicitly months ago. How is this not absolutely clear? I said (1) is why I don't abuse children, (2) is why I don't allow Johnny to abuse children; I said you have to match the action to the right instinct. You don't remember me telling you that?
I do remember that, but I always leave room for misremembering or misunderstanding in the first place.
Bust Nak wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 amI affirmed this very thing too on multiple occasions, I told you: saying Johnny shouldn't abuse children is just simple objectivism; me saying Johnny isn't incorrect for abusing children is subjectivism proper, I switch between the two modes on the fly. Only subjectivism proper address the issue of subjective feature vs objective feature.

It's not that clear how your response answers my question, does my affirmation that, there are two separate hallucinations and that I am not making a pronouncement about hallucinations being all there is when I judge Johnny, changes your view on whether I am applying my hallucinations to Johnny or not?
I understand you saying "I don't prefer the kind of action Johnny is choosing" because you feel you just have this subjective instinct that says boo! to it. I understand you saying "Johnny is not incorrect in choosing to abuse the child." What I don't understand is you also saying "I think Johnny is morally obligated to not abuse the child," where that means something distinct from the other two.